• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Would you?

Nick Anderson

No Longer a Member
Having recently had a good fish off the Severn, I noticed several members asking and some begging me to put up a picture of the said capture.
My question is this, would you post it or release it to the angling press? And would you be happy with the circus that turn up?

Your thoughts please.

Nick.

Having just read the thread title I was expecting a picture of a woman! Anyway, in answer to your not quite so exciting question, and as many have said, yes provided I can disguise the stretch/peg. There won't be a circus if nobody knows where it is.

Rhys :D

personal choice at the end of the day.
do what you feel is right. also take into consideration those who are currently fishing the venue , before you worry about the circus turning up.
when the circus do arrive we can all blame you :)

IMO....if the swim/location is properly disguised then not an issue....

....in this instance, there is not enough season left for the "circus" to get the big top up anyway?

Paul

Having recently had a good fish off the Severn, I noticed several members asking and some begging me to put up a picture of the said capture.
My question is this, would you post it or release it to the angling press? And would you be happy with the circus that turn up?

Your thoughts please.

Nick.

Don't recall anyone 'begging' Nick, just that such a good fish deserves a showing on here, it is a site dedicated to Barbel and that capture was a bit special. As far as Circus and Angling press is concerned then the best way to avoid any of that is to say nothing at all, even on here.
That's the problem with fame everyone wants a bit of you :)

Depends on the significance of the capture (river record, exceptional fish for that river etc), but as my local river is nationally renowned (more for it's chub) & regularly has Billy Smart & his cohorts gracing the banks, i would recommend any publicity protects exact location.

Kind Regards
Andy

Hi men,

3 days to go , not worth worrying about , any pic can be cropped to bare essentials , but the easiest way is not to publisize the capture ?.

Hatter

What a shame it is that anglers don't want to share their catches with other anglers. Also, what a shame it is that certain anglers feel the need to descend on certain swims because somebody has caught a big fish.

Fishing is what we do for enjoyment, don't get too serious about and it will remain a pleasure.

HA HA.... this site is a circus ... no need to call the press...
If you feel a need to take a picture of your capture, do it...if you however don't want to post the picture don't.

Nick I wouldn't worry about the so called circus on the lower really? If you worried it might give some thing away don't put it up. If you lucky a 2nd time take the photo next to a tree no will know where it is from . Just put lower severn on it ps Well done

I think its prudent to leave any river capture reporting until 15th March :D

As for pictures - I doctor the background (Open a copy of your picture in Paint if Photoshop isn't available and work with that) I'd never publish an un-doctored photo.

As for the angling press , well I had some experience of them back in the '80's, I'll never go there again !!

I am a believer in celebrating success, just be careful how you do it

First of all you have told the Barbel world, on this site, that you have caught a big fish off of the Severn,you are already half way there.What is the point of not putting a photo and weight to your post.That fish could be 20 miles away from where you caught it by now,the lower Severn is a massive river. Most fish chasers (in their right minds) would not be bothered trying to target a fish on such a large river, now a smaller river would be a different kettle of fish.If you are saying people are asking you to go public then a story is already out there and the damage is already done.If it is a river record then you really should go public just doctor the photos.

What's the point from your point of view and what's to gain,You know you caught the fish enjoy the memories and if there is a risk of spoiling the fishing then don't take it

First of all you have told the Barbel world, on this site, that you have caught a big fish off of the Severn,you are already half way there.What is the point of not putting a photo and weight to your post.That fish could be 20 miles away from where you caught it by now,the lower Severn is a massive river. Most fish chasers (in their right minds) would not be bothered trying to target a fish on such a large river, now a smaller river would be a different kettle of fish.If you are saying people are asking you to go public then a story is already out there and the damage is already done.If it is a river record then you really should go public just doctor the photos.

But then it might not - Large lower Severn Barbel, from my experience, favour a section and won't move far until spawning time arrives or adverse conditions force them. Half the reason I don't Barbel fish much on my local lower Severn is I got bored of the recaptures and no new fish moving in - not all large I'll add :D. I wouldn't bank on the fact that because its a large river, that fish would be a difficult target (if the general area was known).

Last edited:
Nick
Steve Cole is spot on in my opinion.

The angling press is a big mistake learnt by a few.

Graham

Been there too eh Graham :D

Never discuss any successful fishing trips with any tackle shop either or the next 50 customers get your tale -

Last edited:
Back