• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Would you?

if you want to post a pic then whats wrong with a mat shot,,next to a rod/reel or whatever for reference,,the honest angling folk only wlll want to see a picture of the fish,,and those that rely on everything else but their own watercraft will get naf all from the pic,keep the proper trophy shot in your own album:D

Post the picture of your fish , it is nice to hear of other peoples success , without some publicity what would we all have to aim for / discuss etc ? Just don't say where you caught it / remove from the picture identifying features . If you do these things I can't see a problem . The only downside as far as I can see is that once your face is identified with capturing big fish then people do take a LOT more interest in you , I guess this is the price of publicity . Can you imagine what angling books or sites like this would be without any pictures ... Dull is the answer

Nick
Steve Cole is spot on in my opinion.

The angling press is a big mistake learnt by a few.

Graham

I've caught a few specimen fish in recent years but I've never felt the desire to send a report to the weeklies. However, a good pal of mine won the drennan cup in the AT last week with a photoshopped picture and no specifics about where he caught the fish. I caught a river record fish last week so, with his reassurance, I've submitted a photoshopped picture to the AT with no specifics etc. The reporter seemed an enthusiastic chap and was happy not to press for any specifics I didn't want to give away.

I just thought a significant milestone was worth sharing - i'll let you know if it changes my life for the worse :)

Nick

you have given people half a tail ;)

you want to tell people " mine was this big" then not show a pic of it? dont give us , " i dont want to give the swim away " there are thousand editing shops and ways to take pictures so as not too.

Either dont say out or post with a nice picture :D

personally I am quite happy to tell people where i caught from and how many in the hopes they do better. Ask Adam a Bewdley Tackle shop, I text him this morning to say the fish have seemed to have turned on. Having fished for 3 hours for 3 barbel and 2 chub

Just my thoughts... jy

It you was that worried about other anglers finding out why did you post what you caught Nick

I think this thread alone is drawing even more attention to the capture than the original post on the river report. The only difference being that at least the river reports are a little more private than the open Barbel Talk section.

I think it was Steve Cole who summed it up nicely in an earlier post. It's nice to share and celebrate success but do so with caution. I think its great that people share their highs and lows either with or without photos-it's part of it isn't it especially for those that enjoy being part of a forum community. And as others have mentioned its pretty easy these days to manipulate a photo so as to disguise the precise spot where the fish was caught.

A capture such as this can be really inspiring for those that fish the river, showing what is possible and perhaps challenging some firmly held beliefs about fish population and size.

As for involving the press, when I finally land the British record barbel-I will cross that particular bridge...

It you was that worried about other anglers finding out why did you post what you caught Nick

I shared my catch in text format. However I WILL NOT publish a picture here, or any other forum for that matter. I posted my catch report with trembling hands on the keyboard, perhaps i should of had a whisky and pondered on it for a while. But when you catch a fish like that you tend to blurt out!!

As for this post, it was more towards what would you do as I would like to get a general idea of what others would do in that kind of scenario. And because it's a forum for all about catching barbel.
Hence why I posted my catch in the first place.

Thanks for .....most of the replies.

Nick.

Personally, im not that fond of looking at 'doctored' photos of angling captures as it leads me to ask myself where the 'doctoring' ends. I much prefer to see a picture behind a brolly or hedge, rendering the shot somewhat innocuous. I don't think this makes for a interesting backdrop to any capture, but understand that some anglers want their captures to remain in part, secret. So why these anglers then contradict themselves by feeding the capture to the angling press is something I don't understand unless of course its for self promotion.
No one will deny that its a great capture and a feather in the cap of the Severn, but I don't think that you can be in such turmoil over publishing the photo....I think that's a done deal....you want the kudos and fair play to you....

What we are trying to say is ..... Nick show us the photo or your a dreamer :D

all the excuses but no proof

you was challenged on previous reports and the same so if you want to report do so but back it up mate or people that fish might be a tad dubious :rolleyes:

better still say nowt;) if theres no pics :D

What we are trying to say is ..... Nick show us the photo or your a dreamer :D

all the excuses but no proof

you was challenged on previous reports and the same so if you want to report do so but back it up mate or people that fish might be a tad dubious :rolleyes:

better still say nowt;) if theres no pics :D

You've got more chance of ******** in the queens handbag than me showing you the pictures.

;-)

because you aint got any :D photoshop LOL dreamer

Dream on Nick ;)

Nick John and all, I must say that having the exposure of the Trent 'lumps' on here and shortly the rest of the Angling world, I can't blame anyone for going incognito on catches.

However at least big Rivers like the Trent and Severn might be able to absorb some extra attention, smaller Rivers would not, and this I fear along with predation is a major factor with the decline of Rivers such as the Teme and the Bristol Avon, just look at the number of 'celeb' programmes that have been featured on these waters.

Is it any wonder the Barbel have scarpered?

I think you just have to appreciate that a number of good fish caught and featured are often recaught shortly afterwards by one of the magazine contributors.

Again I agree with the comment that many barbel turn up in the same general area time after time.

Nick has the right to reveal whatever he wants as we all do.
He has to accept that limited info may lead to queries. I'm sure he's not bothered.

When old pal Dick and I started to catch some good Thames fish we reported I can assure you we were followed for a time. Sad but true

because you aint got any :D photoshop LOL dreamer

He does (I should know!) and has an independant witness, ie me? I'd never met Nick before, so i'm unlikely to be bias am I? If you don't believe that, I'm sure one or two on here can vouch for me that I was on the Lower that day (I actually don't go down very often).

Back