• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Winter clothing

Thanks Dave but now I've started to look into it a bit more I'm leaning more towards the helikon ECWCS ex Amy jacket and trousers which are both waterproof and breathable.

Regards,

Pete.

One thing i have learned is that you need to actually try these suits on before you buy them as you can never tell whether its right for you!
Another thing i have considered is what are the worse conditions am i likely to be out on the bank. Well personaly when it gets down to low single figures i am not likely to be fishing unless the temperature is on an upward trend. So going for a suit/outfit that is designed for sub-zero temperatures is not something i would use that often. If need be i can wear my chub vantage base layers under both jackets and salopettes.

Dave

After the recommendation by Gary Mortimer I'm just about ready to order a pair of the Muckboot arctic sport boots, can anyone please say how good they are for walking in? They seem to offer the same sort of warmth as my old Skeetex moon boots but look a lot better for walking.
I particularly liked the u tube review which said they where great, but not that warm below -15degrees Centigrade, LOL.
Won't be doing much fishing in those sort of temperatures.
Cheers
Paul

Have walked miles and miles in my Tay Sports(now Arctic Sports) over the years I've had them.When they give up the ghost I'll get some Arctic Sports to replace them.More than happy with them.

Paul, I also had a pair of Muckboots, the Tay rather than the Tay Sports, lasted well and kept my feet nice and warm. Looking to get another pair and they are great for walking in, walked the dog every day in them.

Deerhunter trousers and jacket although you might not like the price plus it's not waterproof but an outer shell sees to that
Boots I use Brashers or for wetter conditions I've just bought some neoprene wellies (wychwood)

I too went out and bought Deerhunter hunting gear. The outer later actually does absorb water but bone dry on the inside.
I've had quite a few fishing clothing brands over the years and whilst on the whole it keeps you very warm, a serious drop of rain on it and it's next to useless.

Sadly they aren't that price on Charlie's website. I've heard they are the dogs (somewhere on this thread if I remember correctly).

Muck boots arctic sport boots ordered, thanks for the feedback guys.
The ESP jacket and trousers (I also have the digital camo pattern) highly recommended by me too, the fabric rating is better than a lot of bivvies! Also available in sensible sizing. Seem to be pretty hard wearing too, even after a year in the boot of my car they've kept me dry through 2 recent downpours and I'm very pleased with them.
If the boots are as good as the clothing it looks like I'm sorted at last.

I have been using the chub vantage suit for the past 12 months and have had no problems with it although Im a little miffed now about the price savings now offered!!

I would however say that if you are looking at this brand to check the sizing as I ended up buying it as 2 separate items due to the bib and brace coming up very small in my normal size.

Back