• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Winter clothing

So if you had one of those base layer undersuits what would the next layer consist of?

I simply use some ex navy long john and top thermals. Craghopper winterlined trousers. One or two thinsulate or bear type tops. Snugpak salopettes. Snugpak jacket. Then goretex outerwear. Thats a max. Any warmer just miss a layer out. But dont forget your footwear. Its sweat that gets you. If you wear thermal wellies. Change your socks often and put them in your midriff in between changes. I use some grubs snowline. Muck tay sports are good but the soles not half as good. I generally pack my warmers kit in a in one of my x forces day sacks. I also cannot fault a thinsulate hat too. Hope its as wsrm as last year.

Thank you Jon thats the info that i wanted to know, much appreciated..

Well, after all the great info on here, ive just ordered a chub vantage base layer. Got lots of fleeces etc to go over it, and got a steal of a bargain a couple of seasons ago, i know its not top of the range, but so far it has kept me totally dry... a Ron Thompson 3 piece suit, bib n brace, jacket, and a detatchable fleece. They were reduced from something like £150 to £50 as they were very slight seconds, on mine, one of the breast pockets goes up instead of down :D.

You'll find the Vantage base layer excellent, wore mine for the first time this winter last week and it was a bit too warm, but I didn't get at all sweaty.
The same trip was the first time I'd used the ESP top layer in a proper downpour and it was excellent, over an hour of HEAVY rain and bone dry underneath. A second downpour test on Friday also all good.

Anyone any info on what the quality is of the base layer products you can get from ski clothing outlets?......

Paul how did you find the sizing of the suit were they accurate? In case i have to buy online.

I was very lucky with the sizing of the ESP jacket and trousers, they are sold separately and not as a suit. The large jacket fitted me fine but the large trousers absolutely swamped me but the medium were great.
I tried the Chub suit and the large jacket was ok but I couldn't do the trousers up and the fastening looked like it would last 5 mins., the X large trousers fitted but the jacket was massive, so beware. I'm 5'8" 34" waist so not an unusual size, these suits are not made for normally proportioned people and the retailers won't mix them.
Fortunately for you, Frames sell the ESP stuff so you could try before buying. Colney tackle stock the Chub stuff and with the vantage base layer being about £25 is it worth looking at skiing equipment?
Can also get Chub clothing at the water garden place at Hunton bridge, as well as maggots on a Sunday until 4.30.
Cheers
Paul

I must be about the sameish size as you Paul 34 waist etc..What did you go for then with the chub vantage base layer trousers that fitted and a big fitting top?

It's the outer suits that have the weird sizing, I got a large base layer IIRC and that seems designed for normal people. The base layer is 2 pieces

Thank you for that info Paul....

Paul...I gave up on warm and waterproof lace up boots a few years ago. They all either need a LOT of care (waterproofing) or they leak (say, when walking through wet long grass)...or both. I now use fleece lined wellies, and love them. Totally dry, really warm, cheap...job's a good 'un.

I simply use some ex navy long john and top thermals. Craghopper winterlined trousers. One or two thinsulate or bear type tops. Snugpak salopettes. Snugpak jacket. Then goretex outerwear. Thats a max. Any warmer just miss a layer out. But dont forget your footwear. Its sweat that gets you. If you wear thermal wellies. Change your socks often and put them in your midriff in between changes. I use some grubs snowline. Muck tay sports are good but the soles not half as good. I generally pack my warmers kit in a in one of my x forces day sacks. I also cannot fault a thinsulate hat too. Hope its as wsrm as last year.

Like Jon I have a mishmash of winter clothing, when loch fishing in scotland u need layers - always have thermal leggings, lined trousers then bib and brace etc.

but for wellies i use Muckboots arctic sport - when the temp don't get above -6 all day in snow these are good.

I was in Chapman's tackle today looking at the suits I really wanted to try the sundrige igloo suit but unfortunately there wasn't any. I did however try the Fox two piece and the Trakker F-32 which seems pretty good having a zip out fleece too.

Anyone tried the Trakker?

Paul...I gave up on warm and waterproof lace up boots a few years ago. They all either need a LOT of care (waterproofing) or they leak (say, when walking through wet long grass)...or both. I now use fleece lined wellies, and love them. Totally dry, really warm, cheap...job's a good 'un.

The only fleece lined wellies i have had a problem with are sketex because you cant get a ruddy grip especially when the banks are wet.

Dave

Like Jon I have a mishmash of winter clothing, when loch fishing in scotland u need layers - always have thermal leggings, lined trousers then bib and brace etc.

but for wellies i use Muckboots arctic sport - when the temp don't get above -6 all day in snow these are good.

Just looked at these on line. I want a pair!! :p (Just need to convince my wife)

I was in Chapman's tackle today looking at the suits I really wanted to try the sundrige igloo suit but unfortunately there wasn't any. I did however try the Fox two piece and the Trakker F-32 which seems pretty good having a zip out fleece too.

Anyone tried the Trakker?

I have tried the Trakker f-32 on and for me personally it was to bulky. But it would certainly keep you warm in winter! That's the only reason i chose the chub suit instead.

Dave

Back