• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Winter bib & brace

only a few sizes here but lots places sell it its just this is a good description Extremely warm and comfortable

or get the complete suit

Last edited:
only a few sizes here but lots places sell it its just this is a good description Extremely warm and comfortable

or get the complete suit
For the money they are great those suits. I had one which lasted a good few winters.

Only downside is they are a heavy jacket and it gets heavier when it’s wet. Extremely wam suit mind. Certainly no need to layer up under it too much

I brought a tracker 3 piece set a few weeks back. I had an old Shakespeare set Iv had for years but hardly ever wore. Decided to stick them on the other week when it was windy and I was drenched by the time I got in the car from condensation. Brought the tracker set and first time using them was fine but last couple of times Iv had the same problem. And that’s just from me sitting there as well not walking about
I'm still in shorts n t-shirt. No wonder your sweating

Always had bib and brace but had the aqua f12 suite last year very warm but yesterday my back was freezing so going back to bib and brace I'm still trying to find the ultimate ones ( Don't think they exist) . Vass are OK but no zip on front so when to do call of nature you got to get undress.. I do belive you get what you pay for

Anyone got the Vass 175 Khaki winter bibnbrace and coat ? I might be tempted !
I bought the bib & brace but opted for the 'smock' as opposed to the zip up coat.
Very happy with these garments, both warm, dry and comfortable.
I also bought the summer (unlined) bib & brace for the warmer months.

Worth every penny and love the thick padded knees for the odd occasion I am posing knelt on the floor with a fish...

Vas 175.
Been through afew different ones over the years. Yet non are anything like as light and easy to move in as the vas. It doesn’t hold water either which a lot of them do is it the winter version you have Richard and how warm are they when it does get cold

Another vote for vass, I bought mine back end of the summer, maybe a little flimsy for me, but definitely waterproof and breathable

Yes it’s the winter version I have
It’s plenty warm enough but you layer up underneath it.
It’s not a breathable suit compared to others but I guess that’s the trade off if you don’t want a suit that holds on to water. The biggest hype for me about the vass is the weight. It is so light for a winter suit.

Have alook at the avid suit I’ve just got one only 120 quid not been out in the really cold weather yet but seems decent

This is my second season using the Avid Arctic 50 suit and it's performed well so far. Very warm, waterproof and breathable.

Just had a set of the Prologic thermo armour Max 5 bib & brace delivered but not yet used. Will use them mainly for winter piking so warmth over mobility is a priority. Will see how we get on but they look and feel decent. Sat and watched tv in them last night rather than putting the heating on ☺️
Jacket wise I'm using a Ridgeline Monsoon which has outperformed every other jacket I've owned on water resistance inc North Face & Barbour Goretex ( rubbish) and just layer up accordingly, and comes in for shooting/beating too.

I needed a new winter jacket so decided to go for an offer that was on at my local tackle shop.
I got an Avid Arctic 50 suit, which is the salopettes and jacket.
The Salopettes are far more waterproof the my lidl ones (as expected) 20,000HH rated, and quilted.
Very comfortable and nice warm fleecy pockets too!

I thought I would give an update on my bib and brace purchase. Went for the Vass winter bib & brace. Initial impressions good. They are very light but seem to be nice and warm. Went out yesterday afternoon to do a bit of chub fishing and by the time I packed up the net was frozen solid. Wore them over a base layer and a pair of jeans and I never felt cold despite the air temperature falling well below freezing. I like the knee reinforcements and the general quality. I guess the only downside is that there is no front zip so when nature calls you have to take your jacket off to get to facilitate access to the essential areas. Time will tell if they are a good purchase.

Hi Steve. Sorry late onto this, but may help others. I tested new ESP quilted salopettes in relentless rain all day at the end of last month along with a Jack Wolfskin coat and stayed dry and warm all day, plus the ESPs have that all important zip lower down. Taking off my coat that day simply wouldn’t have been an option.

First outing in Pro logic today and it was baltic but dry
Very warm, impressed
Blanked - so much for big cold fronts = pike frenzy
20 years ago I had the original version called the Wilderness it was incredibly warm and 100% waterproof since then I have had the new one I have fished in Europe in PROPER cold weather and torrential rain and the Prologic bib & brace and jacket has never failed to keep me warm and dry

Hi Steve. Sorry late onto this, but may help others. I tested new ESP quilted salopettes in relentless rain all day at the end of last month along with a Jack Wolfskin coat and stayed dry and warm all day, plus the ESPs have that all important zip lower down. Taking off my coat that day simply wouldn’t have been an option.

Thanks Rod. I may well in the market for a new jacket as well so will check out the Jack Wolfskin stuff.

Back