• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Why ?

The Outlaw pro head light is 800 Lumens more like a search light 😂
800? Pah. This is more like the one the numpty opposite me had
Screenshot_20201111_182109_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Noticed twice this year people comming up behind with head torch on full blast caused fish i had on spooked massiveley.
Must have an effect on the fish feeding infront of you if you jump around with one of these on for no reason. Especially on small rivers

It's a gut instinct , but I've no doubt it spooks suspicious fish. Generally it's totally unnecessary. I won't mention the water, but earlier this season there was a guy about 300 yards upstream with his car headlight lighting up the river. Even at that distance away it was annoying. Now that was unsociable. It makes you wonder what goes through some peoples heads😂

A good friend of mine, has his lights on all the time, watching his rod tip.

Cant beat the cheap as chips energizers with the mizer rate and the red light option , have a selection up to 350 lumens a slightly more powerful light hangs from my tripod ,just in-case a bit more light is needed when landing a fish. Even when sea fishing i always turn the bugers off when not needed, has any research been done into catch rates of vloggers and social media tarts that have to have lights on permanently to make their ego productions.

Some of the French carp anglers I see have PIR switched security lights attached to their pods so when they approach their rods for any reason two LED floodlights come on :eek:

Apparently a lot of the brightness claims about Chinese made headlamps on Ebay are false. Some of them have unsafe charging units as well. Got this from a sea fishing forum a few years ago.

I have a Fenix HL60R. Lots of brightness options, waterproof, shockproof, rechargeable and a 5 year warranty. Had mine for 3 years and I rate it very highly. Only use it when I have to and on a low level. I turn it up to net a fish and it seems to spook them a bit. However, last season a huge boat went up the river (Trent) with an extremely bright light (on a really dark night). It passed over my bait and I thought it would ruin the fishing. 5 minutes later I had a bite from a pb 13lb barbel!

Apparently a lot of the brightness claims about Chinese made headlamps on Ebay are false. Some of them have unsafe charging units as well. Got this from a sea fishing forum a few years ago.

I have a Fenix HL60R. Lots of brightness options, waterproof, shockproof, rechargeable and a 5 year warranty. Had mine for 3 years and I rate it very highly. Only use it when I have to and on a low level. I turn it up to net a fish and it seems to spook them a bit. However, last season a huge boat went up the river (Trent) with an extremely bright light (on a really dark night). It passed over my bait and I thought it would ruin the fishing. 5 minutes later I had a bite from a pb 13lb barbel!
That probably has more to do with the boat stirring up the bottom. Iv caught a fair few fish moments after a boat has gone over the top of my bait

I remember when I first started carping, age 12, we were skint, so candles were the go to light source, until, one night at farlows, me and my pal were bivvied up in Shakespeare Cypry dome, I left my candle on top of my tackle box, between bedchairs.
We woke up in the morning to a blue sky, a melted tackle box and a Bivvy fit for the bin ...

My day to day most used light is an obsolete petzl. It has a max beam power of 40 lumen which casts a fairy decent beam of approximately 35m.
in most cases I use the red or green filters on about 5 lumens and I can comfortably walk and navigate with that too.
why would you need more than this for 90% of situations on rivers.
granted 35 m is not gonna show up much on most stretches of the far bank on the TT but you certainly do not need 150 lumens plus for fishing.
A good quality torch for river fishing is the torch that provides excellent low level light. Buying based on high power light is just buying bragging rights

I have had the same thing on the nene just lately and although I do have a very bright headlight I would never shine it on the water on into another anglers swim but I do have an energiser headlight with a red led for baiting in but as I am older my eyesight is not what it was and to do some things I need a bright light and can't do without it sometimes
Castor definitely gets alot of bright lights Ray!!!!!!

Back