• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Why ?

Why do people feel the need to use a head torch that can see into the future ?

Do you really need to light up the entire valley ?

Are you a light house wannabe ?

Do you want planes and helicopters to land in your swim ?

Absolutely no need to burn other anglers corneas out who are 1km away from you

Idiots
So would you like to shed some light as to what's happened

Didn't thinking I was full beam lol

But I do know what you mean I was fishing once and a chap facing had a torch that little my swim up like daytime over a 100 yards away

I feel your pain.

I recall a session into dark early in the season and a fella fishing 100 yards or so down stream on the opposite bank looked like he was at a Jean Michel Jarre gig... It’s just unnecessary. By all means use one when you need to see something, but waving them about all over the shop is inconsiderate, to say the least...

One of my peaves. I use an old 3 led energiser head torch that hardly lights anything up but it’s bright enough for me to see when I got the fish in the margins and use the red light for everything else

Have been blinded from 250 yards plus by some twit on the other side of a carp lake. He'd got some huge 5 beam LED head torch. Mentioned it to the bailiff who said 'yeh, good ain't they? He's getting me one!' oh dear.

Also surprised this summer by the phenomena of the carper afraid of the dark who has a light on in the bivvy all night. Couldn't get my head around it at first, a green or red glow all night from different spots around the lake as soon as it got dark through to dawn. Teach me to fish a popular lake.

I find an energiser head torch ample for night fishing on rivers and lakes, the old one of 20 lumens I think.

For the beach a cree that does see into the future😄

I like a mixture of power of the sun beam for walking to and from, and subtle light for fishing. I will always tone it down if others are fishing, but rarely come across others where I fish.
What I can't find is a powerful red light for observing nocturnal wildlife.

I like a mixture of power of the sun beam for walking to and from, and subtle light for fishing. I will always tone it down if others are fishing, but rarely come across others where I fish.
What I can't find is a powerful red light for observing nocturnal wildlife.

I used to get Ultrafire red cree torches from DX. They were 90 lumens and suitable for shooting rabbits at distances up to 3- 40 metres. You wouldn't need more than that. I think they were about six quid plus another ten or so for two rechargeable batteries and a charger.

It is highly irritating and completely anti-social. I'm sure it can't be good for the fishing either, although that's just a gut feeling rather than any proof.
Im with you on that one. I absolutely believe a bright beam cast across the water in the darkness of night will have devastating effects on relatively shallow and clear rivers.
no proof either way is gonna change my mindset on that one. I do everything I can to keep my beam off the water

I wouldn't have thought that light from the bank had a steep enough angle to penetrate the water.

Head torch use on the bank is the kiss of death in my opinion. I try to avoid using them. There are occasions though, like when crossing fields on the way back to the car where a half decent head torch is required. You don’t need a mobile sun though.

I have had the same thing on the nene just lately and although I do have a very bright headlight I would never shine it on the water on into another anglers swim but I do have an energiser headlight with a red led for baiting in but as I am older my eyesight is not what it was and to do some things I need a bright light and can't do without it sometimes

I was on the trent a couple of years ago and there was a bloke who parked his car behind him facing his peg and kept turning his headlights on and off all night. I was about half a mile up river so wasn't too bothered but had a mooch down the morning after. Speaking to another angler and apparently this bloke had forgot his head torch....some people, Beggars belief.

This might be of interest to the bright light brigade :D

Attachments

• Limited-Edition-Head-Torch-1100x733.jpg
    Limited-Edition-Head-Torch-1100x733.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 177
Why do people feel the need to use a head torch that can see into the future ?

Do you really need to light up the entire valley ?

Are you a light house wannabe ?

Do you want planes and helicopters to land in your swim ?

Absolutely no need to burn other anglers corneas out who are 1km away from you

Idiots
was it as bright as them night lites i had .had it last night on our local river sat 300yards up stream and was lighting his bank up past myself was walking up to his mate all night

Back