• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Why? Just bloody why???

The ones that get my goat are the dog owners who dutifully scoop up their beloved pooches faeces , bag it and then hang it on a fence or branch . Unbelievable ! Do they think there is a s**t fairy who comes a long at night and clears it all away ? :mad:

Dog stuff

Mike,you've just touched a very sore point,I see this time and time again.The problem is not with just us Anglers,its a problem on every walk you go on.They pick the SH and 1 tee stuff up when there are people about,once on their own,its dropped.The main culprits for this are----------middle aged women.I'm sure none of our other halfs do it but .

The ones that get my goat are the dog owners who dutifully scoop up their beloved pooches faeces , bag it and then hang it on a fence or branch . Unbelievable ! Do they think there is a s**t fairy who comes a long at night and clears it all away ? :mad:

That's my bugbear too, bushes festooned with the stuff, what's that all about? Better just to kick the crap into the bushes, at least the stuff will break down, plastic bags are a more serious problem, brain dead :mad:

Iain, no respect? They don't know the meaning of the word and in this 'me, me, me' society, just do what they want. The consequences for one's actions these days are so minimal that we have reached a point where the 'underclass' really don't care. This has impacted all aspects of our lives to the point where the 'silent majority' have to voice our frustrations to like-minded people on sites such as this.

Let me illustrate the situation with an item from today's news: when someone who raped, murdered then hid the body of a girl only gets 12 years (out in six?) there's something wrong. Maybe the legal argument here will be that he is being sentenced according to the statutes at the time he committed his crime, many years ago. Personally, anyone who evades detection for years, should be sentenced according to the laws as they now stand, but I digress. Litter louts get a slap on the wrist at best. The latest diktat on dogs fouling paths in the countryside is that the owners should flick it into the long grass/trees! Give such people an inch and they'll take a yard. Rant over! :(

I'm not sure if it's a nationwide thing but... when I last had a dog (2 years ago) I used to walk her across a 'Millennium' meadow. For the first 10 years or so they had a plastic bag dispenser at the main gate...which resulted in the hawthorn hedges being festooned with small bags of poop. From 2013 onwards they replaced the bag dispenser with a sign which read : "Please move/remove your dog's 'mess' from the paths to the long grass or to beneath the hedges", or words to that effect. Progress I suppose. [Forestry Commission Initiative : "Stick & Flick" :eek:
BTW... I did find that, however tightly the pooh bags were tied, they stank the car out within minutes. Even my dog objected to the smell.
BTW2... I think 'the problem' has got sod all to do with "townies", 'youth', or 'class' .. it's to do with present day society, and the values it no longer holds, IMHO.
Fly tipping????... I'd give the £uckers life!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39254072
Good to know that the powers that be have "a poo strategy "
I've had one for years!:p

Regards the litter thing,... I've always struggled to understand why an "angler" would want to spoil part of the very thing he/she has paid for the privilege of enjoying?
In my experience there is a thread pointing towards worse cases being free or day ticket stretches where no amount of rules or bye laws prevent littering,... possibly because the culprits have nothing to lose?
Must say though that my local club waters are pretty good and the local free stretch has a group of volunteers that turn up every week to clear up after the slobs. Did hit a luncheon meat can (that had been tucked in the undergrowth) with the brush cutter the other week,....it flew a good 20 feet through the air, luckily not connecting with another volunteer!

Terry, my use of the word 'underclass' was perhaps misleading. To me it covers all walks of life and refers to individuals who have scant regard for those who live by society's rules and regulations. They are in effect the bullies of this world: they do what they do because nobody is going to stop them.

Terry, my use of the word 'underclass' was perhaps misleading. To me it covers all walks of life and refers to individuals who have scant regard for those who live by society's rules and regulations. They are in effect the bullies of this world: they do what they do because nobody is going to stop them.

Hi Anthony, my use of "class" was not in response to your use of the word "underclass". Actually I started writing my entry before yours was posted.. and only saw your post after I'd posted. I could have also said it's got nothing to do with race/ethnicity/colour, or gender ...but I guess well over 95% of anglers on the bank are white British males.

Why has a thread about rubbish left by dirty anglers turned into a dog owners bashing thread? yes there are those that don't "pick up" after their dog, they are probably the same type that leave rubbish on the bank or dumped in a layby or anywhere else so long as its off their hands, most dog owners are in my experience responsible people, its got nothing to do with class and everything to do with todays society.

There are plenty of biodegradable dog poo bags available and the ones that are not should be banned, or made twice the price of the ones that are yes it still relies on the owner picking it up but at least the bag will degrade not lie there for years.

I can only see the litter situation getting worse because there is almost no chance of being caught littering/fly tipping, I saw on the news yesterday that the removal of fly tipped rubbish in the west midlands? cost £1m over the last 3 years, in these days of cuts it makes me wonder what budget that money has been taken from.

Lets not mention cats $h!tt!ng on gardens or the millions of wild birds they kill each year or the horse $h!t left on roads eh :)

Hi men ,

We visit a park where a river runs through , regular litter from EU , but also other kids . Worse than that iv witnessed close season fishing , EU with BBQ at the ready ( not solely for fish they catch though , but chub do end up on it ). A couple of weeks ago a transit pulled up , 5 got out , 1 rod in bright fluro green between them , fluro orange jacket on the "angler" . They then trespassed on a site , caught a chub , it ended up in a black carrier bag . We were just moving away to another section so once there i phoned the hotline printed on one of my 3 licenses , exact location , descriptions of those there and the van . Got a incident number and left my mobile . Phoned the next day and was put through to the local officer . Very depressing , and will take my own action next time .

Hatter

Hi men ,

We visit a park where a river runs through , regular litter from EU , but also other kids . Worse than that iv witnessed close season fishing , EU with BBQ at the ready ( not solely for fish they catch though , but chub do end up on it ). A couple of weeks ago a transit pulled up , 5 got out , 1 rod in bright fluro green between them , fluro orange jacket on the "angler" . They then trespassed on a site , caught a chub , it ended up in a black carrier bag . We were just moving away to another section so once there i phoned the hotline printed on one of my 3 licenses , exact location , descriptions of those there and the van . Got a incident number and left my mobile . Phoned the next day and was put through to the local officer . Very depressing , and will take my own action next time .

Hatter

Unfortunately Mark those phone lines are often a waste of time, in my area only 6% of reported illegal fishing incidents were attended, really not good enough and certainly not what we pay for.

Iain, no respect? They don't know the meaning of the word and in this 'me, me, me' society, just do what they want. The consequences for one's actions these days are so minimal that we have reached a point where the 'underclass' really don't care. This has impacted all aspects of our lives to the point where the 'silent majority' have to voice our frustrations to like-minded people on sites such as this.

Let me illustrate the situation with an item from today's news: when someone who raped, murdered then hid the body of a girl only gets 12 years (out in six?) there's something wrong. Maybe the legal argument here will be that he is being sentenced according to the statutes at the time he committed his crime, many years ago. Personally, anyone who evades detection for years, should be sentenced according to the laws as they now stand, but I digress. Litter louts get a slap on the wrist at best. The latest diktat on dogs fouling paths in the countryside is that the owners should flick it into the long grass/trees! Give such people an inch and they'll take a yard. Rant over! :(

That reads like a Daily Mail editorial.

Litter was just as bad in the past, if not worse.

'Litter was just as bad in the past, if not worse.'

Paul, I agree. Back in the 60's when it was the norm to chuck rubbish out of a car window etc. littering was appalling. Surely things improved as we began to realise the extent of this folly of all the new-to-us non-biodegradable wrapping blowing in the wind. I would have thought that we did have a period where things were on the up but sadly this all seems to be slipping through our fingers.

Daily Mail? I'm hurt. :)

Unless there's a lot more prosecutions, and the penalties are more punitive, I can't see matters improving.

Hi men ,

Hatter

Hello Mark . I presume by EU's you mean migrants from an EU country living in Britain ? If you see this sort of thing going on again you may be better ringing the police as if the offenders are fishing without the riparian owners permission or are not a club member then they could be prosecuted under the theft act . It is the polices duty to respond to this sort of incident

Hi men,

The local officer gave a depressing view of action that could have been taken without the landowner wanting to get involved etc.

Hatter

Litter is a perennial problem on the Wye.
Hire company canoeists in particular have no regard for the countryside. Many times I've heard them say " isn't it lovely here? " before jumping back in their boats and leaving their litter where they stopped. Unfortunately this often gets attributed to anglers.
Particle jars, meat tins, pellet bags etc leave no doubt who's responsible however.

On the odd occasion I fish WUF stretches I come across obvious angler litter from time to time. Presumably the anglers could be classed as ' serious ' anglers if they're willing to pay 20 quid plus for a days fishing, yet they'll happily leave their crap behind.
There is always the question of poachers admittedly.

Thankfully my stretches have a zero tolerance approach, including cigarette ends.
If it's in your swim then it's yours. If you get caught leaving it you're up before the committee, no messing around with warnings.

In short, people simply don't care. They assume somebody will clean it up, if they spare it a thought at all.
Watch how quick they are to moan when the fishing rights are lost though..

The only real way to reduce it is to increase bailiffing I suppose, but it isn't possible to police a water in the middle of nowhere 24/7.

A sad reflection of todays entitled society - no respect for anyone or anything.

Back