• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Why? Just bloody why???

Jeff Collins

No Longer a Member
Haven't fished in a while as I've met a new lady recently. Things have been great, absolutely marvellous. Until I decided to take her for a walk along the river today for a few miles to walk along and explain my love for the surrounding beautiful riverside areas.
I picked an area where we could walk alongside the river Severn without any problems with access.
Two miles in and my new interests first word's after I ask what she thinks is ......"you lot just leave your litter on the bank?"

And to be fair I had no comeback, all along our riverside walk from peg to peg was riddled with litter that had definitely not come down with a flood.

I ask 2 questions here....firstly

what regional club do you think owns the fishing rights?

Secondly why do we let people get away with this?????

Your's annoyingly,

JC

I was annoyed about this yesterday and had kind of just put it to one side but you've just reignited the aggravation in me over it. Whilst we're on the subject I'm just off for a run, a practice I now leave my running shoes outside for the danger of standing in dog presents people fail to pick up.

Jeff the only answer is next time take a bin liner and pick it up. I know you didn't leave it there but by cleaning up you are doing the right thing and it will make you feel better. The problem is the same along lengths of the Wye and other rivers Im sure.

Agree Chris, as much as it might be a bit humiliating if you see other 'Anglers' mess, as a fellow Angler you should pick it up, anyway the rule on BAA and most other if not all clubs, if it is in your peg...it's yours.

Jeff the only answer is next time take a bin liner and pick it up. I know you didn't leave it there but by cleaning up you are doing the right thing and it will make you feel better. The problem is the same along lengths of the Wye and other rivers Im sure.

I usually have bags with me but not on this occasion so I picked up what I could manage.

Also one of my lifelong bugbears, in everyday life not just fishing. Particularly annoying in everyday life when there are generally bins so close.

I always pick up any litter I find in a swim and, invariably, end up taking home more of someone else's than my own.

I usually have bags with me but not on this occasion so I picked up what I could manage.

Why then didn't you mention that in your post? So the problem is not BAA anglers leaving litter, is BAA anglers clearing up after one another, at least the job get's done, as a parent I understand that logic.

Unfortunately Neil I bet a good proportion of those leaving the rubbish are parents as well. They must set a wonder full example for their children. I cannot comprehend the mind set of anglers who just dump their rubbish, for me a large part of the appeal is getting away to somewhere scenic. peaceful and unsploit.

Unfortunately Neil I bet a good proportion of those leaving the rubbish are parents as well. They must set a wonder full example for their children. I cannot comprehend the mind set of anglers who just dump their rubbish, for me a large part of the appeal is getting away to somewhere scenic. peaceful and unsploit.

Couldn't agree more, I really despair of some. but I will say it is mainly around the middle severn that is the problem, I don't see too much litter where I fish, probably an urban mentality towards the environment.

Couldn't agree more, I really despair of some. but I will say it is mainly around the middle severn that is the problem, I don't see too much litter where I fish, probably an urban mentality towards the environment.

Same Neil. The middle is a nightmare, I spent 20 minutes clearing up whilst choosing a swim to fish on Friday evening, my rucksack was full of beer and pop cans, and an empty can of hemp. Roll on Autumn.

Yes. Some time ago I made the choice of where I would prefer to fish, in many respects choosing the environment over fish numbers.

I've gone even more that way this season. Well run small clubs with enforced rules.

It's the bloody townies I blame.

Oiiii Jeff, don't tar everyone with the same brush. I'm a "townie" as you put it and I do not leave litter, in fact like you I pick up other people's crap and bin it. I don't even take my meat to the river in it's can I rough cut it at home and take it in a bait box so there are some of us "townies" that do care for our environment.

Oiiii Jeff, don't tar everyone with the same brush. I'm a "townie" as you put it and I do not leave litter, in fact like you I pick up other people's crap and bin it. I don't even take my meat to the river in it's can I rough cut it at home and take it in a bait box so there are some of us "townies" that do care for our environment.

Apologies for the generalisation Bill. But most are young town kids. As for tins to the river it's actually banned as per BAA rules

Are we using the term "townie" as those who live in towns? Which is a highly variable term or as the precursor term that has been largely replaced with Chav?

Does "townie" also include city dweller ? I live in quite a large city ( Liverpool ), but part of my tackle on "EVERY" trip, includes at least 1 carrier/bin bag ( i normally carry a roll), for mine, and also anyone else's rubbish i find in my chosen peg. Its not nice picking up other peoples s***e, but in the words of Tesco, every little helps.

Hi Jeff, how old are you ? and does your new lady have a sister/friend ? i'm on the lookout myself :D:D:D

Only joking pal :D, hope everything works out for you and the good lady. :):):)

Apologies for the generalisation Bill. But most are young town kids. As for tins to the river it's actually banned as per BAA rules
Apologies accepted Jeff. I was feeling tetchy last evening so shot from the hip...I do take your point though.

Best Wishes for your new relationship and please ensure the good lady that we are not all litter louts :)

Done by lazy slobs that think it's beneath them to take their rubbish home. These people have no respect for the country side or nature. In my view, these people should be heavily fined after being made to clear the rubbish up. Or should be made to walk the banks for 3 months cleaning up all the rubbish and within that time will not be allowed to fish. Or another idea is can we go around these peoples homes and dump our rubbing in their front room.
Myself i always have a bag with me, the same as when i walk my dog. You can't blame all townies, locals can be just as bad.

Back