• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Whipping thread colour(s)

Ian Murfin

I'm thinking of getting a couple of rods built and I'm starting to think of what colour whipping to go for. I've picked up most of my rods second hand over the years and have never given it a second thought previously.
I get this is a very personal thing but just wondered what people's favourites are?
I don't want to go for a dull colour but I wouldn't want too bling either.

I'm thinking of getting a couple of rods built and I'm starting to think of what colour whipping to go for. I've picked up most of my rods second hand over the years and have never given it a second thought previously.
I get this is a very personal thing but just wondered what people's favourites are?
I don't want to go for a dull colour but I wouldn't want too bling either.
Black and Gold would be my choice. :)

Yes black n gold works well.
So does black n copper or maroon and copper.
IMG_1975.jpeg
IMG_1976.jpeg

What colour is the rod blank? Black on black would just look a little boring to me as would any other matching colour schemes.,

When I was restoring cane rods I always preferred something like garnet with pale gold toppings and intermediates. Not quite so relevant for a modern carbon rod, granted, but I still like the notion of something that stands out from the usual grey / black blanks of most modern rods.

What colour is the rod blank? Black on black would just look a little boring to me as would any other matching colour schemes.,

When I was restoring cane rods I always preferred something like garnet with pale gold toppings and intermediates. Not quite so relevant for a modern carbon rod, granted, but I still like the notion of something that stands out from the usual grey / black blanks of most modern rods.
I actually really like black whippings on natural ground blanks with no other tipping colours.
It’s understated and descreet and I quite like that. My Avon quiver I had built with just black

Hi Ian, I think the best way to get what you want is to ask the builder to whip a few samples up with some colours you would like to see, this is something I offer to my customers To help them visualise what it will look like. If you haven't chosen a builder yet I'm more than happy to help you. Kindest regards Marcus

Red and gold look nice this is silk whipping but can be done in standard nylon and has a very similar effect

I also do like black on the ground blank as it makes the blank look more grey overall,

Black and silver looks timeless as well with some nice chevron work.

Possibilities are really endless.

Attachments

• IMG_6509.jpeg
    IMG_6509.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6522.jpeg
    IMG_6522.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 72
Like you I buy most of my rods used - so have a variety of coloured whips.

Burgundy and gold works, but one rod I have is well overdone - as in too much of a good thing.

Generally I find metallic colours a bit too bling - I have a lovely flyrod that looks awful (to me!) with silver and red whips on a black blank. It was built as a demo rod; so fair enough.

I like subtle -so plain black or black with discrete green or red tippings.

Gunmetal grey is nice too.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and pictures, I'm not much closer to a decision, but it's definitely helping.

Small amount of metallic blue as seen on Freespirits is quite nice.... Although what I committed to on some custom rods recently is nice.

I gave my rod builder a free hand to make a few decisions recently. I went for a dark blue whipping and he placed a couple of thread wraps within it in silver, which wasn't over the top at all. 👍

Attachments

• IMG-20230911-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20230911-WA0004.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 84
Small amount of metallic blue as seen on Freespirits is quite nice.... Although what I committed to on some custom rods recently is nice.

I gave my rod builder a free hand to make a few decisions recently. I went for a dark blue whipping and he placed a couple of thread wraps within it in silver, which wasn't over the top at all. 👍
Is that the new chub rods?

Very tarty Julian 😎

I do have to ask though …. Why double legged k series guides on such a light through action rod

Id of gone with single legs on that personally and cut the weight down and halved the number of whipping points.

Back