• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Which Braid or Mono for the new season?

Paul S Murray

Hi Guys.
I'm looking to replace all my old Braid and Mono for the new season, and would like some advice on what's good and what's not to replace it with. Is there anything new on the market worth trying? Or are the old tried and tested ones still the best?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
Paul

big game in 10lb clear, you can get a big bulk spool for £10 quid.
as for braid, power pro.

Unless you are fishing a boulder strewn river then braidwise for me the tried and well tested power pro is the one, used for many seasons without a problem...

Another vote for clear 10lb Big Game. 0.28mm and utterly reliable. Limp, knots well and abrasian resistent too. I've tried Sufix Xcelon, Soft Steel, Spiderwire, Sensor, Maxima, this beats everything else I've tried.

Yep, there are a couple of variations on the packaging. Older stuff from import market was labelled Trilene Big Game. I've bought a spool like that pictured in the link, same great product.

If you follow the practice of changing your line regularly Daiwa Sensor Clear (10lb for general fishing). Gives a good balance of usability/cost.

Thanks for the advice Guys, I'm currently using Power-pro, which I've had no problems with at all, so I'll leave that as it is, But it looks like the Berkley Big Game for the mono is a favoured choice, I'll keep a look on Flee-Bay between now and the beginning of June for a decent deal.
One other thing you might be able to advise on, is it a hard and fast rule to use Mono hook length with Mono mainline, and Braid hook length with Braid mainline, and never use a different hook length material to your mainline?

I switched from Fox soft steel to Daiwa sensor clear line last year and its a very good line. Also using it for hook lengths very durable and cheap to boot.

Last edited:
Paul, braided hooklength with mono main line is no problem. I use GR80 mainline mono on rocky rivers, with braided hooklength - tough as can be. Otherwise Powerpro all the time.

I have seen so many anglers get snapped off the other way round though, especially with shortish hooklengths when all the pressure is concentrated in the mono and it simply cant stretch and handle a sudden rush or violent take.

Last edited:
Cheers Graham, it was your advice I've been putting in to practice over the past couple of seasons regarding Braided hook lengths.
On another note, are you still guiding on the Wey next season? I quite fancy a day or two out with you, if you're available!

Yep, there are a couple of variations on the packaging. Older stuff from import market was labelled Trilene Big Game. I've bought a spool like that pictured in the link, same great product.

i only paid £6.95 for mine in that huge spool, cheap...er.:p

Paul, braided hooklength with mono main line is no problem. I use GR80 mainline mono on rocky rivers, with braided hooklength - tough as can be. Otherwise Powerpro all the time.

I have seen so many anglers get snapped off the other way round though, especially with shortish hooklengths when all the pressure is concentrated in the mono and it simply cant stretch and handle a sudden rush or violent take.

gr60 and gt80, i don't know which you mean, both are good stuff, the only problem i have with GR60 is it coils up a bit to much for me.

Anybody used gardner hydro flo line??

I fish a small river so want a good clear mono line.
I have been using maxima which ive had no problems with apart from its a dark colour and now i am thinking clear line would help my catch rate ?

cheers jamie

David. my error. GT80 is the one.

Although the bit of the Wye I fish is not very rough ground at all, most cut off's were on the take. Changing to that mono in 12lb pretty much negated the problem.

Paul. On the Wye ( a Wey fishing guide would be a brave man!) Yes exclusive section this coming season, details on the angling experience website. The days already about about half booked up. Be good to see you again.

Cheers

Graham

Back