• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What youngs pin ?

I really like the multi ratchet on wensum reel, simple and effective. Although the pin itself isn’t perfect, does not spin as freely as I like (30-40s?) and slightly wobbling, seems a common problem.

I have two Wensum pins, one silver and one black. I have issues with them, the slight wobble on a £400 pin, is annoying. The machining on one of the back plates, wasn't properly deburred, pre anodising! Whilst on the other reel, one of the handle assemblies, fell to bits whilst the reel was in use 👎🏻. I then disassembled the handles on both reels and reassembled them using loctite. Remember these reels are made by Gary Mills too!

Despite the above issues, I use one nearly every Barbel session for static/free lining work and I just get on with them so well. 4” size, solid feel, rachet options and drag, just ticks all the boxes 👍🏻

Also not forgetting the first one I ordered, it went back, as the reel seat, wasn’t properly aligned to the rest of the reel 👎🏻

Not overly selling the appeal am I 😁

Last edited:
I have two Wensum pins, one silver and one black. I have issues with them, the slight wobble on a £400 pin, is annoying. The machining on one of the back plate, wasn't properly deburred, pre anodising! Whilst on the other reel, one of the handle assemblies, fell to bits whilst the reel was in use. I then disassembled the handles on both reels and reassembled them using loctite. Remember these reels are made by Gary Mills too!

Despite the above issues, I use one nearly every Barbel session for static work and I just get on with them so well. 4” size, solid feel, rachet options and drag, just ticks all the boxes.

Also not forgetting the first one I ordered, it went back, as the reel seat, wasn’t properly aligned to the rest of the reel!

If you knew my story of a pair of his reels, I think you guys would be shocked too..... Not what you'd expect for paying these prices!

Hence why I'm having proper reels done by Chris Lythe!

I have two Wensum pins, one silver and one black. I have issues with them, the slight wobble on a £400 pin, is annoying. The machining on one of the back plates, wasn't properly deburred, pre anodising! Whilst on the other reel, one of the handle assemblies, fell to bits whilst the reel was in use 👎🏻. I then disassembled the handles on both reels and reassembled them using loctite. Remember these reels are made by Gary Mills too!

Despite the above issues, I use one nearly every Barbel session for static/free lining work and I just get on with them so well. 4” size, solid feel, rachet options and drag, just ticks all the boxes 👍🏻

Also not forgetting the first one I ordered, it went back, as the reel seat, wasn’t properly aligned to the rest of the reel 👎🏻

Blimey, that's not good Neil !

If you knew my story of a pair of his reels, I think you guys would be shocked too..... Not what you'd expect for paying these prices!

Don't hold your breath if waiting for a CL reel LOl.
I have a few off him and have waited 5yrs for one of them.
Infact, i'm still waiting for one now, I reckon that will be getting on for 5yrs now!....he doesn't rush LOL.

Yeah, I know what you mean, it ticks all the boxes for a specimen reel I am looking for, use it for all my close range fishing, would love to give it a go for mid range ledgering, but somehow I couldn’t manage to cast more than 20 meters with this reel.

Your experience with Gary is just unbelievable mate, it’s the reason I decided not to place an order with him.

Just out of interest, how long should a brand new pin spin for ? I bought a pin from Garry Mills which only spins for 7 seconds which given how I retrieve, makes it a pain to use. I had to wait 2 years for it as well.

Just out of interest, how long should a brand new pin spin for ? I bought a pin from Garry Mills which only spins for 7 seconds which given how I retrieve, makes it a pain to use. I had to wait 2 years for it as well.
At least 30 seconds. In your case, try adjusting the centre screw, loose a bit,1/8 turn each time, see if it spins better. If not, call Garry, this is not the first time he messed up recently anyway.

If your reel has a small screw/cog on one of the spokes make sure it's wound right back/off. That's the mechanisum for a light drag to slow your float down without you slowing the drum with a finger or thumb.

Thank you ! I want it for lighting float and trotting,

Then down the line will get something bigger for ledger and bigger work I can get both for good money so just need to chose I suppose

At least 30 seconds. In your case, try adjusting the centre screw, loose a bit,1/8 turn each time, see if it spins better. If not, call Garry, this is not the first time he messed up recently anyway.
That's no strictly true - pins with bearings spin for longer than a true pin (one on a spindle). How long it spins is no indication of the reel's efficiency.

That's no strictly true - pins with bearings spin for longer than a true pin (one on a spindle). How long it spins is no indication of the reel's efficiency.
I always thought it depended on reel orientation if talking two identical reels with the bearing or lack of being the only difference.

Bearing reels spin longer vertically and true pins spin longer laying flat (assuming it’s the same reel design every where else)

Assuming that’s correct and logically it makes sense to me, an atom should out spin a bob J laying on its back and a bob j should out spin an atom hanging vertically off a rod.

I have bush and pin reels that spin for 5 min's when laying on their backs... on a good day. Reason I say on a good day is because some days they just spin longer than on another day. I think it's down to the weather, temp's etc.
I have ball race reels that will spin for over 4 min's, that's laying on their backs or standing on their foot.
Spin times are miss leading because you may have a reel which only spins for a minuite, and yet rotates with a minimum of inhertia. Then you may have a reel which spins for 5 min's but needs more inhertia to start it off rotating. As with spin times, ease of start up can vary from time to time.

I had a Greys Berwick which didn't spin much beyond 40 seconds, but being so light and a true pin, even the lightest of breath could set it spinning. All down to low inertia. I regret selling it tbh.

Yes, a bearing pin spin longer than a true pin, but in general, a pin should be able to spin at least 30s, and I would expect at least 1mins for bearing pin, otherwise it is not a pain to use, especially for wallies casting.

Back