• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What would you do in this scenario.

I don’t really get too hung up on what other people do or claim
After all it’s their time on the bank to spend it doing exactly as they like. If someone wants to claim the next record that was accidentally hooked through the tail that’s up to them. Accidents happen ive foul hooked one or two fish in the past and it doesn’t make you feel very good about yourself but it’s a risk we can’t always avoid especially with fully exposed hook points.
What I do get hung up about is deliberate acts of stupidity and negligence that cause harm to fish or their environment. That will spark my attention as it would with most on here. I’ve seen very few posts to suggest bad angling on BFW. The odd keepnet argument and the use of those horrid lead clip things but that’s about it
If the fish is caught using good safe practice then I won’t judge even if it doesn’t fit in with my own ethical views

I can't really see what is unethical about stalking a carp, that has appeared in the edge, whilst primarily on a barbel fishing session; as the obvious intention is to catch the carp.

Same reason, when roach fishing, and a big pike appears in the swim. It would perhaps have to be of a worthwhile size and at the right time of year (autumn or winter...another moral dilemma presented), but if such an opportunity presents itself, then why not?

I have always fished two lines on the 'lower severn', plenty of room for this approach and also helps if you feel like experimenting with baits. I have always enjoyed any 'bonus fish' ( not Barbel), as they have often saved a miserable blank!
Tight Lines,
G.T.

I can't really see what is unethical about stalking a carp, that has appeared in the edge, whilst primarily on a barbel fishing session; as the obvious intention is to catch the carp.

Same reason, when roach fishing, and a big pike appears in the swim. It would perhaps have to be of a worthwhile size and at the right time of year (autumn or winter...another moral dilemma presented), but if such an opportunity presents itself, then why not?
Me too Ady. I’d definitely be presenting a bait for a visible river carp. No questions there.
Like Neil said though, total respect to the OP lee for choosing not to. He didn’t think it was fair game so fair play. I hope he caught a big fat barbel instead

You arrive at your swim. Spopper a gallon of pellet down the middle of the river, you have a handful of pellets left.

You throw the pellets into the margins where its about 2 to 3 foot deep.

You set your rods up and are about to start, you hear a splash and see a swirl where you fed your pellets and there's a complete pig of a river carp feeding on them at least 20lb. It's so catchable.... What would you do...

I ignored it.

If it goes mid river and falls for my rig fair play.. Catching that fish would have felt like cheating.
Can I ask how long was your session Lee? In relation to your depositing of a gallon of pellet.

Can I ask how long was your session Lee? In relation to your depositing of a gallon of pellet.

Hi Mark.. I was on the Trent in an area known to do big and I mean big fish. My friend has had them to just below 17, there are also Bream to close to double figures and carp, there were a few anglers there I could see another 6 before choosing my peg I spoke to a few and Bream were only species caught with one barbel lost. All the anglers hadn't fed much, as I was going to fish till dusk, I thought try and do something A) different, B) to attract fish to me, C) keep them there and fish a large smelly standout bait over the bed of pellets.

Perfect scenario would have been groundbait with hemp and pellets to cover all 3 possible species. As it was I had a gallon of pellets, with me so opted for the Bomber Harris approach with a large Spopper and got a Dave Allen of them down on the deck, chucked the last few in the edge, and set my rods up. During this period was when I saw the carp.

Plan was fish 4pm till about 11. Lightning saw an tactical retreat at 9.

But there is a difference, this fish was languishing at his feet, he did not 'stalk' it .

Erm.... You've made up the languishing bit. Stalking in the edge is a generic term, rarely are individual fish actually stalked.

Im bald so you'll have to split hairs with someone else.

Erm.... You've made up the languishing bit. Stalking in the edge is a generic term, rarely are individual fish actually stalked.

Im bald so you'll have to split hairs with someone else.

the fish was actively feeding, if i dont have enough bait for my last spopper full ive always just thrown it in the edge to give the fry something to have a mooch at, this beast came into my peg, swam over the feed and began feeding, I think a freelined boilie or lump of paste would have been taken in seconds, I felt that catching a visible fish like that would have been the proverbial shooting fish in a barrel, had the same fish fell to my thought out and planned approach Id have been happy, catching that carp before putting a barbel bait out just wouldnt have felt right.

I respect everyones opinion about how they would have played the situation out, we can only go on our gut feelings

Back