• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What Superglue?

A Wilko super glue pen (5g) last's me at least 3 months, doesn't bung up and costs about £3. It took me ages to find this and now swear by it

This is all getting a bit tacky, innit?

What do you mean Nick? I've been glued to this thread for the last couple of days. The kind of information we all need to know - perhaps the mods could make it sticky? The only problem I've had with superglue is sticking things together that I didn't intend to! Use Loctite precision now - 1 lasts me a full season, no mess, clean nozzle, sorted.

I think we all agree that Loctite super glue is a very good bit of kit....BUT.

The but is not the glue but the container that is forever clogging.
I have used this product for many years, i wrote to the manufacturer to ask them is there any other way to stop this happening, perhaps they can re-design the container, the reply that i got back was to follow the instructions on the label, this I do anyway, but they did send me a free bottle.

So what is the answer, lets face it, its only for securing bait on a hair rig or sealing a knot, so I changed my glue, no more having to rake out the blocked hole in the container, and no I am not a cheap skate.

I now use a glue that i have bought from Wilkinsons, for £2.40, this small bottle contains a brush, I then top up the bottle with some of the cheap stuff from the pound shop, now I know that this stuff is very runny, but when you use the brush this does not matter.

The idea of topping up the bottle is to cut down the amount of air that is trapped inside, with the brush always sitting in the glue it never goes hard and does not clog.
I glue every type of bait that i put on a hair, pellet, boillie and meat, it does not come off, one tip is not to put too much on as you will glog the hair, give it a go, you will be pleasantly surprised.

I have been using this stuff for about 3 to 4 season and have not had any more problems.

Brian.

Hi Brian, why do you glue meat and boilies, when they are so simple to pierce etc. in the conventional way? Just curious, not criticising :D

Cheers, Dave.

Hi David,
I find it easier and quicker to present my bait this way, I just hate the fiddling with bait stops and having to use baiting needles etc.
I suppose it may be a factor that I don't have to put on glasses every time.
In my opinion, if you are glueing two elip pellets together, then why not cut one in half, if you are using just one.
Then I do the same with boilies and small pieces of meat.

This method that I use has proved very successful, I have taken three Barbel over 13 lb and that makes me very confident.

So has you know,confidence in angling is a real factor whether its your rod, reel or anything that you use to catch fish.
So while my confidence is high I will continue to use my methods.
Come on David, give it a go, get hooked on glue.
Good luck mate.
Brian.

Come on David, give it a go, get 'hooked on glue'.
Good luck mate.
Brian.

Hooked on glue Brian...in my case, it's more likely to be 'glued on hook' :D Seriously though, I do use glue for pellets....just never struck me as a viable method for meat. Thinking about it, I believe super glue was developed for emergency temporary wound sealing in the Vietnam conflict...so it is logical :p I may give it a go Brian.

Ade...sounds good advice to me bos......stik to the advice of those who know is something I always try to adhere to. Anyway, as Brian said, bait needles and stops have always been epoxy way to do things. Glue is expensive, but as long as I remain solvent, I think it's cement to be the way to go...it sort of resin-ates somehow.

Cheers, Dave.

Hooked on glue Brian...in my case, it's more likely to be 'glued on hook' :D Seriously though, I do use glue for pellets....just never struck me as a viable method for meat. Thinking about it, I believe super glue was developed for emergency temporary wound sealing in the Vietnam conflict...so it is logical :p I may give it a go Brian.

Ade...sounds good advice to me bos......stik to the advice of those who know is something I always try to adhere to. Anyway, as Brian said, bait needles and stops have always been epoxy way to do things. Glue is expensive, but as long as I remain solvent, I think it's cement to be the way to go...it sort of resin-ates somehow.

Cheers, Dave.

Don't give up the day job Dave :rolleyes: !

Hi David,
your jokes could be a touch better than Mr Forsyth on Strictly, mind you, I will be glad when they give him the EVO.....
good humour mate, I love it.
Brian,

Back