• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What Superglue?

Mick Brown

I seem to have a problem using superglue to stick elipse pellets together. What make of superglue should I be using? Thanks in advance for any help.

Mick

loctite super glue all the way they do one that have a low odour which i have switched to this year which has no smell at all

Loctite precision comes in a handy sized bottle that doesn't make a mess when applied.

Could be that the pellets have an excessively oily surface. Try wiping them and then apply the superglue. Better still, attach some abrasive paper (around 80 grit) to your bait box and use this to flatten the surface if you are gluing 2 or multiples together.
Cheers
Bob

Another vote for Loctite but I always use the gel version. The fine hole in the nozzle controls the flow and the screw cap clears the nozzle after every use.

Great tip there Bob! Loctite for me also as I have tried the cheaper and they don`t hold as well, this holds as long as you need usually, for a bite. You can find it on offer at supermarkets quite often too.

other than really small pellets which are hard to drill what is the benefit of gluing ? I found it messy/fiddly and drilling seems much simpler to me ?

Gluing pellets together means they break down much slower than if they were drilled. I personally find it simplicity in itself too in comparison with drilling.

I often attach a boilie to the hair by cutting it in half and then gluing it together. It'll last all session no matter how many fish you catch on it ;)

Not many people know that Super Glue adheres more strongly if you add a little water before applying it.

Super Glue adheres nearly instantly when it comes in contact with the hydroxyl ions in water. When this happens, the molecules form chains that make a very strong and durable plastic mesh that hardens.

After wiping the excess oil off the pellet on your trouser leg you could lick the surfaces to be glued before applying the glue and pressing them together.

This will ensure that as well as your clothes smelling like a fishmongers apron your breath will smell like that of a fishmongers cat, guaranteeing you a seat on the bus home or a place at the bar in the pub after fishing.

Last edited:
didn't know that Graham but I tend to fish roving style and change the bait each new swim so longer breakdown not needed in that situ.

Not many people know that Super Glue adheres more strongly if you add a little water before applying it.

Super Glue adheres nearly instantly when it comes in contact with the hydroxyl ions in water. When this happens, the molecules form chains that make a very strong and durable plastic mesh that hardens.

After wiping the excess oil off the pellet on your trouser leg you could lick the surfaces to be glued before applying the glue and pressing them together.

This will ensure that as well as your clothes smelling like a fishmongers apron your breath will smell like that of a fishmongers cat, guaranteeing you a seat on the bus home or a place at the bar in the pub after fishing.

Or a trip to A&E if you get the order wrong :eek:

On my local river I've found that glueing your pellets also helps your bait withstand the constant attention of signal crayfish too. I've taken many fish over the years on what is little more than a pellet impregnated lump of superglue. As far as brands go I have found that gorilla glue is by far the best out there:D

One of the reasons I like this site is the fact that when I go to bed I'm thinking about sandpapering marine halibut pellets

Back