• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What landing net?

I think with all nets where the spreader and the arms/frame are separable, people should consider a fail safe where by should the two become separated at the wrong time, (fish in net) you can still hang on to your catch.
Don’t say “it won’t happen”
It’s not a nice experience and I was lucky enough to retrieve my fish and save it from the jaws of death but it cost me a pair of wet legs.
Had it been carrying extra water I’d of had to let it go.

Yes, I have posted this before on the forum, but here again this is what I do

I sew a loop of cord to the net either side of where the spreader would be - pictured is just one of my nets but I do it to all

net_loop_s.jpg

Then I secure this loop with a yellow cable tie (yellow so at the end of session when you cut it off you'll see it on the ground) - pictured is just one of my nets but I do it to all

net_tie_s.jpg

I also, if required, utilise this loop to affix a tether so I can stake this to the bank in case the net/handle/fish slips towards the water

retainer_cord_s.jpg

The thing about these is this :

Had you asked me in my previous 49 years of barbel fishing how many times had my net arms become detached from the spreader block I'd have said never, or how many times I'd (almost) lost a net whilst resting a fish I'd have said a couple of times.

So don't say it has never happened to you therefore it will never happen. These simple modifications and utilisation of the cord may just save you having the problems that I had !!

Yes, I have posted this before on the forum, but here again this is what I do

I sew a loop of cord to the net either side of where the spreader would be - pictured is just one of my nets but I do it to all

View attachment 11001

Then I secure this loop with a yellow cable tie (yellow so at the end of session when you cut it off you'll see it on the ground) - pictured is just one of my nets but I do it to all

View attachment 11002

I also, if required, utilise this loop to affix a tether so I can stake this to the bank in case the net/handle/fish slips towards the water

View attachment 11003
Yeah. As you know I copied the same idea when I found your thread after it happened to me.

Yeah. As you know I copied the same idea when I found your thread after it happened to me.
My 'solution' to the same concerned (landing fishing with net pole near vertical due the steepness of bank and/or drop to water level) ....
net.jpg

Consists of 50lb braid tied securely to pole, with strong snap link on the end. This snap-link is clipped to large split ring through net at 'V'. BTW ...the green velcro strap is brilliant for fastening the bag of net up to the pole when moving swims. It stops the net acting like a wind-sock on windy days, and reduces net tangling with undergrowth.

I use the 30" folding spoon

Back