• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ā€˜Registerā€™ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What do you mix and keep your groundbait in?

Rob Paylor

Sorry for the daft question šŸ¤”

I have been mixing and keeping my groundbait in a large maggot type box. The main reasons for this are: it fits neatly in my rucksack, it comfortably holds enough groundbait for the length of sessions that I fish and at the end of the session it goes straight into the bottom draw of the freezer at home, ready to just get out for the next session so I can start fishing quickly using up what was left from last time.

But!! I find mixing it in the large maggot type box a pain in the arris. I try and mix a reasonable amount to avoid having to do it more than once during a 2 - 4 hour session so a half full box mix might not be enough.

I fancy something easier, but I guess the drawback of using a small bucket is that a) it's something else to have to carry and b) it won't go straight in the freezer - I'd have to transfer any left overs to freezer bags or the like and back again for the next session, which is just added faff IMO.

Interested to know what everyone else does :)

Thanks,
Rob

Good timing on the post Rob.

Right now I am prepping some hemp for tomorrow afternoon, Some of it will go into a maggot container as you describe, with brown crumb and bits of pellet, and the hemp ā€œ juiceā€ to dampen and mix. I fish the feeder loaded with feed pellets plugged at either end with the mix. Pretty standard practice I would think.
I generally make the container about 3/4 full, and then on the day take a bag of dry crumb and a bag of the prepped hemp with me in case I run out mid session .

Obviously it depends upon using one rod or two. Tomorrow the club rules limit one rod only , fishing elsewhere I will double up the amount.

At the end of the session I keep any left over mixed groundbait or hemp and freeze it as you do,it is normally only a beaker or two in volume, when I have enough frozen ā€˜ left overs ā€˜ I just defrost them, mix them together in the maggot container and use them instead of prepping as above.

I never freeze any groundbait more than once as repeated freezing and defrosting,and maybe sitting on a warm river bank for a couple of days must imo encourage it to go
ā€˜ sourā€™ no science to prove that, its just a confidence thing really.

David

@David Craine I really should mix up at home but don't have access to anything other than tap water and I'm put off by the chemicals it will contain. I have tried keeping the post hemp cooking juice in a milk carton to use, but again, never get round to using it in what I consider a reasonable time hence I always mix on the bank (i'm like a chef preparing a meal with the amount of stuff I put in šŸ˜‚).

I take a small bucket normally , used to have A Korum groundbait bag that attached to my leg , it had a foil inner and you could remove to clean it of the square hoop, I just use to wedge it inside my chair .Quite rare now, I sold it lol

Doesnā€™t sound a difficult problem to me.
id say you donā€™t even need the maggot box If you wanted to transport it in a small bag or whatever.
carry your desired amount dry to your peg Then tip and mix it in one of those floppy groundbait bowl things that will roll up and fit anywhere when your on the bank. Use it straight from the bowl.
you could mix it on a big bit of old tarp if you wanted.

Best way to overcome this problem is ditch the ground bait ! Switch to block end feeder and fill it with 3mm/4mm pellets, just as effective and maybe more so especially fishing pellet hook bait.

Or go down the PVA route, and do away with the feeder entireley , just straight feed pellets mixed with a few larger ones in mesh. I do use PVA on occasion as the mood takes me, mostly when I am using cane as a lead does not catch the current as much when I want a bait nailed down on the river bed.

David

I only use a feeder on the bigger rivers David, on small rivers I use small leads and loose feed and freebies I want to introduce.

I mix my feeder mixā€™s at home as they are made with liquid foods hydro etc and no water these I then store in the clip style food containers of various sizes which fit in the bottom of my rucksack

You can get collapseable groundbait bowls, is that a word ? ....
Collapsable?
@David Craine I really should mix up at home but don't have access to anything other than tap water and I'm put off by the chemicals it will contain. I have tried keeping the post hemp cooking juice in a milk carton to use, but again, never get round to using it in what I consider a reasonable time hence I always mix on the bank (i'm like a chef preparing a meal with the amount of stuff I put in šŸ˜‚).
Rob, just keep a bucket of tap water outside and in just a few hours all the additives are gone.

With all the sewage 'n silage etc etc that goes into our rivers, I don't believe fish would be too troubled by the microscopic amounts of chlorine and fluorine in any tap water that might be added to groundbait. Do anglers soak their hemp in river water?

With all the sewage 'n silage etc etc that goes into our rivers, I don't believe fish would be too troubled by the microscopic amounts of chlorine and fluorine in any tap water that might be added to groundbait. Do anglers soak their hemp in river water?
Just what i was thinking lol

I soak hemp in rainwater, it might be my imagination, but it seems to split better than when I used tap water.

A bit of old tarp...

Whatever next? :eek:

Back