• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What conditions are best for cheese

what are best conditions for cheese paste.
I am catching good chub on it
But both interest from the barbel even fished over pellet as a change bait
Am I destroying my chances of barbel by introducing this this to a swim?
I know it's used a lot in Yorkshire rivers, but I am in Lancashire !!

Regards Dave

Anglers fish casters over hemp, and meat over hemp, so I can't see a problem with introducing feed pellets when fishing with cheese paste. Might be different if the pellets you were introducing were donkey chokers though 😂
I've caught some good barbel on cheese paste, but my belief is (from personal experience) that chub favour it much more than barbel do. I used to use it as a change bait, or more accurately, a bait of the last resort. But doing so means you only end up using it when the barbel ain't feeding... and so you increase your 'confirmation bias' i.e. you lose even more confidence in it when you still don't get a bite.

Last edited:
That really fits my experience and is just what I am doing. That said a good rattling chub bite turns me around mentally on those tough days. Thanks Terry, much appreciated

what are best conditions for cheese paste.
I am catching good chub on it
But both interest from the barbel even fished over pellet as a change bait
Am I destroying my chances of barbel by introducing this this to a swim?
I know it's used a lot in Yorkshire rivers, but I am in Lancashire !!

Regards Dave
Can you not (notice I am speaking your language) get Yorkshire cheese in Lancashire? 😂

Well matured Gorgonzola was a top bait on the Wharfe and here in France they use Emmental as hook bait for les barbeaux. I make my own from blue cheese mixed with pastry dough. But I only use it in winter when I am roving around. The smell seems to attract quick bites if there is anything there.

I use great big cubes of mature cheddar straight off the block when the winter floods really peak.
River absolutely piling through, chocolate brown and the Barbel don’t half find it.
I only use it in extreme conditions when the chance of a chub is pretty remote.
Cracking bait and it’s certainly one that will stay in my armory.

Back