• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What are your targets for the new season?

To be able to fish rivers all the way through the season would be awesome. I really missed the winter last season due to lockdown
A 6lb chub, 3lb roach, 3 lb perch, 20lb pike and double figure barbel
All realistic if I can get the rod hours in
Good luck everyone
I had my best season last year in spite of lockdown. I relocated to live near the Wye some years ago so hopefully will be able to continue to find the Barbel. Beyond that I'm hoping to beat my PB at 11lbs 8oz but my joy comes from catching healthy Barbel whatever the size.

I had my best season last year in spite of lockdown. I relocated to live near the Wye some years ago so hopefully will be able to continue to find the Barbel. Beyond that I'm hoping to beat my PB at 11lbs 8oz but my joy comes from catching healthy Barbel whatever the size.
I envy you relocating near the Wye Bruce. That would be my dream but the current Mrs W (only 47 years married so still on probation 😱) won’t shift because our grandchildren are local and she cares for her Mum. I keep telling her that if my numbers come up on The Lottery I’m buying a place in the Wye Valley and she can visit whenever she wants🤣

I envy you relocating near the Wye Bruce. That would be my dream but the current Mrs W (only 47 years married so still on probation 😱) won’t shift because our grandchildren are local and she cares for her Mum. I keep telling her that if my numbers come up on The Lottery I’m buying a place in the Wye Valley and she can visit whenever she wants🤣
That's the only downside of living 200 yards from the Wye Bil😅😅😅

But at least the Motorway system is excellent for visiting family. Or more likely them coming for a holiday....

My first Gt Ouse barbel would be good! But I won’t be chasing a new PB as I think that ship has sailed and the Ivel with it...
A 30 plus carp on the float ‘n pin..
Dream fish is a 3lb river roach..
I still have to break my grayling duck..
When the season starts I will be chucking fluff hoping for a river brown..
And there is a big perch to catch..
Then a bigger pike..
How could any one ever be bored of angling!

Il have a go at beating my insane record of 21 fish in 15hrs... 19 barbel and 2 chub. And a 10lb barbel being the biggest, 1oz under my pb. Not a prayer.

I’ve set a slightly different target for this year, and that’s 21 species for 2021.

Roach ✅
Rudd ✅
Perch ✅
Dace ✅
Bream ✅
Tench ✅
Crucian ✅
Ide ✅
Gudgeon ✅
Minnow ✅
Mirror carp ✅
Common Carp ✅
F1 ✅
Ghost carp ❌
Silver Bream ❌
Bleak ❌
Grayling ❌
Trout ❌
Eel ❌
Tommy Ruffe ❌
Barbel ❌

So far I’m up to 13, with Barbel next on the hit list. It’s quite an enjoyable little challenge, it’s encouraged me to fish different methods and different waters.

The grayling and trout can wait until winter. I can see me getting very waylaid now in the search for barbel.

Enjoy some new different stretches of river and to catch some small barbel ...... have some fun and smile again instead of gazing at a motionless rodtip!

Enjoy some new different stretches of river and to catch some small barbel ...... have some fun and smile again instead of gazing at a motionless rodtip!
Better get down to the Wye Paul. Ticks all boxes with the bonus that it flows through some absolutely stunning countryside.

Managed to get on a syndicate this season so mostly I'll be targeting barbel doubles 😆 although I would really love to net a river carp this year too! I know they are there, somewhere....

Well, just completed my first expedition of the season to the Wessex rivers and not a bad trip however barbs were not playing ! The buggers ! Managed 18 chub to just over 6 lb over 7 days on the H Avon and the D Stour with all coming to cheese or meat on the float and light ledger rigs but overshadowed by Mark who took a pristine chub of 6 lb 15 oz. What a summer fish and one we’d all like to catch come March. I am so looking forward to my next visit in September COVID permitting !

Mark and I don’t fish like the majority, preferring to keep on the move spending only 10 - 15 minutes in each swim and covering miles of river in the day. It’s really tiring but keeps you fit and offers a different challenge every few minutes and loads of opportunities to view the countryside and wildlife. What a fantastic pastime we choose to pursue !

I think I may have met some of you over the years on the banks of the Thames, Wey, Colne, Cherwell, Thame, H Avon, D Stour, Ribble, Severn and Teme and wish you all good luck over the summer. Keep up with the reports as it keeps an old angler with limited opportunities to fish with a regular supply of material to keep me “in touch”.

Tight lines.

Steve.

Well, just completed my first expedition of the season to the Wessex rivers and not a bad trip however barbs were not playing ! The buggers ! Managed 18 chub to just over 6 lb over 7 days on the H Avon and the D Stour with all coming to cheese or meat on the float and light ledger rigs but overshadowed by Mark who took a pristine chub of 6 lb 15 oz. What a summer fish and one we’d all like to catch come March. I am so looking forward to my next visit in September COVID permitting !

Mark and I don’t fish like the majority, preferring to keep on the move spending only 10 - 15 minutes in each swim and covering miles of river in the day. It’s really tiring but keeps you fit and offers a different challenge every few minutes and loads of opportunities to view the countryside and wildlife. What a fantastic pastime we choose to pursue !

I think I may have met some of you over the years on the banks of the Thames, Wey, Colne, Cherwell, Thame, H Avon, D Stour, Ribble, Severn and Teme and wish you all good luck over the summer. Keep up with the reports as it keeps an old angler with limited opportunities to fish with a regular supply of material to keep me “in touch”.

Tight lines.

Steve.
Forgot to mention the Kennet, how did I forget that ? !
Used to be a wonderful place before the crayfish invasion. Caught a few barbs from there as a boy !

steve.

The plan for me last year was to fish a new river for a season,something to excite me,open my mind & learn a new river,away from the long bank hours of the Thames & Medway for little success. I only managed 2 trips late autumn due to lockdown but rekindled my enthusiasm for my life long hobby & didnt
blank ,enjoying the peace ,tranquility & nature far from the maddening crowds. Im now just in my 70s,had 1 trip already & aim to do 2 multiday trips a mouth just to enjoy the fishing,the surroudings,the people i meet & hopefully a few more Barbel small or big along the way.Tight lines everyone :cool:

Now nearly a month into the river season (blimey don’t time fly!) hope you are ahead of your quest and at least enjoying the river you fish👍

Back