• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What are your targets for the new season?

To get out more than once before March 14th next year. Getting expensive at £250 a year when i’m only fishing 1 session a season.

I've got three new rivers in mind for a barbel, I've done my research, they are occasionally caught so I know that they exist. I'm prepared for the blanks and the legwork, not all about numbers. One thing's for sure I won't see another angler!

A double from a river that I fish infrequently would be good after a few 9lb+ fish from the venue.

I’m just looking forward to spending more time on the river. Have two venues in mind a little closer to home than the Middle Trent so looking forward to getting to know them better, fully expecting lots of blanks but the odd barbel would be nice. Have renewed membership for Middle Trent club, but in all honesty it might not surprise me if I don’t fish the Middle at all this season.

Also looking forward to some trips down to the Hants Avon and the Wye. Not fished the Wye for over 6 years I think, tbh I’ve always been a little unlucky with this river. Just driving down the M50 or A49 seems to trigger for the heavens opening across the border and a river resembling the Amazon the following day.

Having retired at Christmas and leaving forty-five years of sales targets behind me I have hopes and aspirations rather than targets these days. I’m certainly getting more fishin’ in these days and my hopes of improving my Tench PB has been passed several times this spring. On the Barbel front I’m hoping for a 14+ this season and although I no longer class myself as a carp angler I would like to beat my near forty year PB also. My local waters have them in, I’ve just got to hope they find me! Other species on my mind this year are a decent Roach, a big Perch and Grayling. This should keep me out of mischief 😀

Having retired at Christmas and leaving forty-five years of sales targets behind me I have hopes and aspirations rather than targets these days. I’m certainly getting more fishin’ in these days and my hopes of improving my Tench PB has been passed several times this spring. On the Barbel front I’m hoping for a 14+ this season and although I no longer class myself as a carp angler I would like to beat my near forty year PB also. My local waters have them in, I’ve just got to hope they find me! Other species on my mind this year are a decent Roach, a big Perch and Grayling. This should keep me out of mischief 😀
Enjoy your retirement Bill, sounds like you’ve earned it. I have just reduced my working week to 4 days so am very much looking forward to the challenge of tracking down some very large Barbel on a very underfished stretch of the Ouse in Bucks…..and basically spending more time on the bank and less time in the lab, can’t wait.

Enjoy your retirement Bill, sounds like you’ve earned it. I have just reduced my working week to 4 days so am very much looking forward to the challenge of tracking down some very large Barbel on a very underfished stretch of the Ouse in Bucks…..and basically spending more time on the bank and less time in the lab, can’t wait.
Many thanks Alan. You said the magic word “lab” I’ve spent more than half my working life visiting labs selling equipment such as Autoclaves, biological safety cabinet’s (MSC’s) and at one time high resolution weighing equipment but that was long ago! The last twenty plus years it was Autoclaves. I’ll now put my retired work head back in it’s box and get my fishing head out again 🤣

Hope you are enjoying retirement Bill.

You certainly have some waters on your doorstep that hold some very big tincas - well worth getting up at the crack of sparrow for! Hope you get some biggies.

Cheers,

Joe

Hope you are enjoying retirement Bill.

You certainly have some waters on your doorstep that hold some very big tincas - well worth getting up at the crack of sparrow for! Hope you get some biggies.

Cheers,

Joe
Many thanks Joe 👍

Many thanks Alan. You said the magic word “lab” I’ve spent more than half my working life visiting labs selling equipment such as Autoclaves, biological safety cabinet’s (MSC’s) and at one time high resolution weighing equipment but that was long ago! The last twenty plus years it was Autoclaves. I’ll now put my retired work head back in it’s box and get my fishing head out again 🤣
Spent 30 plus yrs with MRC, PHLS and Francis Crick Institute in London so our paths may have crossed. As much of an interesting career it’s been I’m ready to start winding down with a view to early retirement and more fishing…more Grayling on the test is also the plan!

Back