• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What are your targets for the new season?

Darren Hawen

Senior Member & Supporter
Thankfully the start of the season is just round the corner so would be good to see some targets and goals that you’re aiming for this year!

I’ve got a few on the wish list for the season so I’ll get it started -

PB Chub so anything over 6.13

A Thames PRB, a 12lb plus fish would do it for me

And my main target and focus for the season is a Kennet 16lb plus fish, I know they’re still there, somewhere!

Good luck all and tight lines.

A Barbel for me would be nice and to then beat my PB.

I had an awful season last year, moved rivers mid season and never got into any sort of groove. Didn't do any sort of fishing after the clocks went back. I'm still recovering from shoulder surgery, so not sure how much casting I'll be able to do, but I'm looking forward to just being on the river bank If I'm honest, the rest is a bonus.

New PB from the Hants Avon. Best is 12.05lb 20 years ago. Cant grumble about numbers as I caught 18 last season in what was a very disjointed year due to Restrictions Of Covid.

Just joined rtwas river Medway,don't know what to expect really,but I've barbel fishing just 40 minutes drive now,I'll still be on the Hants Avon a few times this coming season and if I equal to what I caught there last season I'll be more than happy,all the best to all this coming season

I will continue to try to beat an old record of 13 lb 12 oz that was the UK best when I caught my first ever barbel in 1980 as a boy from the Thames at Penton Hook, however this one needs to come from my beloved Hampshire Avon. I also want to beat my PB chub of 6 lb 14 oz (at which weight I have had 3) I am envious of you guys that have had 7’s although I am sure most are well deserved by extremely competent anglers. Let’s be fair if you weren’t you probably would not being viewing this post. Having lived near Preston for the last 20 years my trips to the Wessex rivers are less frequent than I would wish but the next “expedition” is just after the season starts so I am already sorting tackle and deciding on tactics. I wish you all a successful season and hopefully this damned virus will be under control and not bazooka another season. Tight lines all.

Thankfully the start of the season is just round the corner so would be good to see some targets and goals that you’re aiming for this year!

I’ve got a few on the wish list for the season so I’ll get it started -

PB Chub so anything over 6.13

A Thames PRB, a 12lb plus fish would do it for me

And my main target and focus for the season is a Kennet 16lb plus fish, I know they’re still there, somewhere!

Good luck all and tight lines.
A Thames PRB, a 12lb plus fish would do it for me.

You'll do that Darren😃

To find somewhere local, productive for large fish and quiet. I found it last year, rinsed it July and August but the secret got out and I couldn't get in it for most of September 😂

Checked my secret Derwent spot this week and that's got a f**k off big snag across the front of it now. Unfishable. Gutted :rolleyes:😂

Target I guess is simply to get a reasonable amount of fishing in and just catch a few. I'm not a trophy hunter, but if a biggun comes along I'll smile I'm sure!!

It was dreadful compared to the previous year Andrew!!

Me personally, I'd like a 15, from anywhere, but the Lower Severn is the most likely for me - got with 3oz of it last season.
I recently moved to Worcester so it is now my local river. With a stretch a mile from my front door. Having fished the warks Avon since a child, it's very different but I will be giving it a good go this year. After speaking to a few club members this year, they echoed yourself and said it was hard going. It's going to be very different for me, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Pretty much as usual for me: find/catch a Bristol Avon barbel; ditto Somerset Frome and try to edge my roach pb up an ounce or two! I might get a day or two on the Wye as well for the annual check that my rods still bend like they should. I hope every one enjoys their fishing.

I don’t usually have targets,but it would be nice to catch a barbel over 10lb. this coming season from my little river.
Last seasons best was 9.1/2lb.I’ve had bigger from the Trent,but I get a lot of satisfaction from every hard earned fish from this secluded spot.

A35FFD1B-DFF9-4F5E-8427-ED3E4106B70E.jpeg

Back