• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What are bucket bags like as roaming tools

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
Keep seeing them pop up occasionally and while I’ve no intention whatsoever of spending £70 on a discontinued second hand fox one I see you can still find the 13/17L trakker versions for 35 quid to add a bucket to brand new. Aimed at carpers naturally like most items of luggage but I’m thinking if I can lose the chair on short sessions it might be a nice little river roaming bag. Could work with my dead bait sessions too. AFew ice packs and fish thrown in the bucket and a few sliders I’ll be good to go.
The old fast mat would nicely double the seat padding too.
Any thoughts......

I have the Fox camolite one and didn’t pay anywhere near that price. One of the best bits I’ve got for roving style, highly recommend.
Yeah the camolite ones now are only available second hand and naturally people pay well over the odds for them.
The trakker ones seem far more sensibly priced being an available product.
Thanks for your message I was thinking the same. A nice river roving bag.
What size have you got.

I like a solid bucket with a lid, like the ones from Gardner etc. It allows me to not stink the van out with bait so much, I throw my lead etc in there at the end and I can keep a lot of the to hand items like baiting needles etc, to hand... I use it as a side table to my chair as well. If I’m roaming and the bank is ok I can sit on it, instead of the floor.
It’s not posh but its bloody useful.

Yeah the camolite ones now are only available second hand and naturally people pay well over the odds for them.
The trakker ones seem far more sensibly priced being an available product.
Thanks for your message I was thinking the same. A nice river roving bag.
What size have you got.

Mine is the smaller of the two sizes, 10L I believe, it’s brilliant, although I don’t use it so much now as I used to

Sometimes I use a bucket and one of these

I think they are a great idea for roving.For me they must have a shoulder harness.This looks good.

Last edited:
Haven't they just re-invented the seat box or am I missing something?

Reading over the posts I was thinking exactly the same thing, I seem to remember reading about Ray Walton using a box for roaming as he was rolling meat, as the box was waterproof, light, convenient to carry everything he needed in , and could be used as a seat.

Its a win win, lets call it re inventing the wheel.

David .

I don’t think anyone is claiming it’s anything new. I just don’t own one.
If we want to be specific... it’s a bucket in a bag with a padded seat!
Few pockets on the outside and a shoulder strap. Nothing particularly clever about it and if we want to call it a nylon seat box 👍🏻 Yeah I’m up for that.
Little bit different with the tackle pockets on the outside and the bait kept warm under your behind but yeah it’s a similar concept.

Either way I think I’m gonna take one for my short river sessions
They look just the job.
(New to me cos I’ve not had a seat box since I was at primary school😊)

I don’t think anyone is claiming it’s anything new. I just don’t own one.
If we want to be specific... it’s a bucket in a bag with a padded seat!
Few pockets on the outside and a shoulder strap. Nothing particularly clever about it and if we want to call it a nylon seat box 👍🏻 Yeah I’m up for that.
Little bit different with the tackle pockets on the outside and the bait kept warm under your behind but yeah it’s a similar concept.

Either way I think I’m gonna take one for my short river sessions
They look just the job.
(New to me cos I’ve not had a seat box since I was at primary school😊)

Put a bucket inside your old seat box and you will still be able to sit on the seat box when the bucket is outside ;)

I have the trakker version and find it useful to chuck everything in when floater fishing for carp. Don't use mine as a seat though, I mean you can, but once it's been sat on, trying to get the lids off the plastic bucket inside is almost a nail losing affair! 😅

i have the traker one richard and use it for roaming in the summer and just the bucket to carry bait other times if your up elton this weekend ill put it in the car and you can have a look

i have the traker one richard and use it for roaming in the summer and just the bucket to carry bait other times if your up elton this weekend ill put it in the car and you can have a look
Hey up Ray how’s things.
I won’t be about this weekend I’m afraid. I rarely fish Saturday and Sunday. I’ve ordered my bag now (Same one) and it come in at a decent price.
My sessions are getting shorter and shorter by the week so sitting on a bucket for 2-3 hours isn’t going to be out the way for me.
I can always double up the padding too with the fast mat if the need for a Bit of luxury Arises.
For me it’s just about losing the chair on those shorter sessions where I often want to dot about. It will get used for dead baiting just as often. Well that’s the plan anyway.

Hey up Ray how’s things.
I won’t be about this weekend I’m afraid. I rarely fish Saturday and Sunday. I’ve ordered my bag now (Same one) and it come in at a decent price.
My sessions are getting shorter and shorter by the week so sitting on a bucket for 2-3 hours isn’t going to be out the way for me.
I can always double up the padding too with the fast mat if the need for a Bit of luxury Arises.
For me it’s just about losing the chair on those shorter sessions where I often want to dot about. It will get used for dead baiting just as often. Well that’s the plan anyway.

I can see where you are coming from Richard, I have a friend who a few years ago made a big decision, he stood back and looked at his gear, brutally set aside everything he actually did not need and fined down his gear to a light, mobile , and working set of tackle that works , in fact last year we both set off to fish a Norfolk mere, he had a small trout creel basket , rod, reel , landing net and unhooking mat, no rod rest, no seat, a small end gear tin, and a cloth bag with bait in . In the car he showed me a rather nice float, it was his float for the day !

Compared to my ruckbag, seat , etc etc, it was obvious that what I considered needed was in fact overkill, we caught similar fish in size and quantity, Peter was comfortable and had everything he needed, moving swims was a moments work for him, for me it was much more.
A smaller lighter setup is the way forward, do we need a vanfull of gear on each visit to the venue?

David

I used to carry far too much gear. Nowadays I use a fly-fishing waistcoat which holds all of the end tackle, floats etc. Bait boxes inside my JRC Xtra lite chair with a rod rest, unhooking mat and net. Handle rod banded to 1 or 2 rod bags/cases. Anything else goes in a carrier bag.

Very very rarely go without one and I consider them as essential pieces of kit - useful for everything you need quick and easy access to that won't fit in your pockets.

I have three - a "dumpy" shallow Korum one which I use for sit-down day sessions on lakes where I'll typically stay in the same spot but might go off for a wander and do a spot of stalking, a slightly larger John Wilson Masterline one I use for river roving sessions (comes with a handy velcro side attachment wallet), and a deep ESP one I use exclusively for pike fishing as it's large enough to carry several lures (in boxes) and a deadbait zip pouch on top in addition to bits of tackle.

Bought all of them used on eBay - the John Wilson one was £16 and the other two were something like £11/12.

Back