• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wellies

I’ve just bought a new pair of neoprene lined wellies from jack pike and the care label mentions putting silicone spay or oil onto the boots I’ve never heard of that before have I been missing a trick?

I’ve just bought a new pair of neoprene lined wellies from jack pike and the care label mentions putting silicone spay or oil onto the boots I’ve never heard of that before have I been missing a trick?
WD40 is a great way to waterproof your boots. 👍

I think it helps with the waterproofing of the outside nylon material, I know some people using wet suits spray the outside with back to black silicon spray. Not sure on the implications for water quality. I know some others use Ballistol oil in spray form.

You can buy the propper stuff to apply to rubber wellingtons, an example is, aigle swipol at countryman outdoors £8.99.

I was talking rubber protection.

As far as i'm aware rheee is no protective products for neoprene. I'm sure a quick search on google would give you an answer.
I know Ian no offence intended but James posted about silicone and neoprene wellies. You mentioned rubber wellies first in the post.

I know Ian no offence intended but James posted about silicone and neoprene wellies. You mentioned rubber wellies first in the post.

James actually said "neoprene lined wellies from jack pike". There are loads of neoprene lined wellies, from numerous brands, that are completely covered in rubber. Jack Pyke certainly produce at least two types.
https://www.jackpyke.co.uk/products/ashcombe-gusset-wellington
https://www.jackpyke.co.uk/products/ashcombe-zipped-wellington

As far as I'm aware, the silicone spray products that James referred to are aimed squarely at rubber type wellies, neoprene lined or otherwise.

James actually said "neoprene lined wellies from jack pike". There are loads of neoprene lined wellies, from numerous brands, that are completely covered in rubber. Jack Pyke certainly produce at least two types.
https://www.jackpyke.co.uk/products/ashcombe-gusset-wellington
https://www.jackpyke.co.uk/products/ashcombe-zipped-wellington

As far as I'm aware, the silicone spray products that James referred to are aimed squarely at rubber type wellies, neoprene lined or otherwise.
Yes Chris I am sorry if my posts appear misleading I only meant to mention I have friends not into fishing , paddle borders and kayakers and wild swimmers that use the products mentioned on neoprene. That use silicone spray or similar.Yes I’m sorry I know paddle borders and wild swimmers, I’m sorry .

For what it's worth I've ordered a pair of skee tex ultralight wellies. Which come with a insulating liner. Around £44 hoping they'll be good for the winter.
Also gave a quick glance at the vass velcro fleece lined boot, but wasn't too impressed with those, as the lining didn't look good quality, and my socks were covered in fleece debris after trying them on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231209_030440_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android.jpg
    Screenshot_20231209_030440_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20231206_144817.jpg
    IMG_20231206_144817.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20231206_144826.jpg
    IMG_20231206_144826.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20231206_144833.jpg
    IMG_20231206_144833.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20231206_144841.jpg
    IMG_20231206_144841.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

I have a pair of these. They're nice and toasty and if I drop anything on my feet I know my toes are protected.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231209_113144_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231209_113144_Samsung Internet.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 62
Well I went into Angling Direct to pick up the wellies I'd ordererd. (Skeetex ultralight)

The chap that got me to order them couldn't recommend them highly enough saying things like he sometimes wears them without the supplied sock, (which I didn't believe!) saying they're that good!
Whilst another chap working in there quietly came over to me & said I'd stay away from them and to invest in a pair neoprene lined wellingtons, and said to invest in the Lechameau Vierzonord as he's had a pair of these for years and swears by them.

Effectively I got talked out of purchasing from the shop, and have asked another store to get these in for a try. (I won't be paying full retail on these by the way, although it will still be expensive!)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231213_190652_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android.jpg
    Screenshot_20231213_190652_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 41

My Aigle Parcours II ISO wellies, are made from natural rubber, I clean and wipe them down a couple of times per year with autoglym car tyre restorer. It protects and conditions the rubber.

They come up like new and I’ve had them for around 10 years. Expensive, but you won’t find a better quality wellington IMHO 👍🏻

Well I went into Angling Direct to pick up the wellies I'd ordererd. (Skeetex ultralight)

The chap that got me to order them couldn't recommend them highly enough saying things like he sometimes wears them without the supplied sock, (which I didn't believe!) saying they're that good!
Whilst another chap working in there quietly came over to me & said I'd stay away from them and to invest in a pair neoprene lined wellingtons, and said to invest in the Lechameau Vierzonord as he's had a pair of these for years and swears by them.

Effectively I got talked out of purchasing from the shop, and have asked another store to get these in for a try. (I won't be paying full retail on these by the way, although it will still be expensive!)
I went in to Angling Direct once looking for a small baitrunner reel. I asked the assistant for some advice whilst looking at a particular model. He stated, looking at this model, 'I've got one of these they're brilliant!'. I kind of wasn't really sure about it and started looking at the Shimano along the shelf when he said, 'I've got one of these they're brilliant!'. 'OK mate thanks for that I said!' Sometimes I think they'll tell you any old nonsense!

I went in to Angling Direct once looking for a small baitrunner reel. I asked the assistant for some advice whilst looking at a particular model. He stated, looking at this model, 'I've got one of these they're brilliant!'. I kind of wasn't really sure about it and started looking at the Shimano along the shelf when he said, 'I've got one of these they're brilliant!'. 'OK mate thanks for that I said!' Sometimes I think they'll tell you any old nonsense!
Without a doubt they do😂

I can heartily recommend Bekina Steplights wellies.
Some years ago I was on holiday and had forgotten my wellies , and needed a pair urgently. I went into Mole Valley Farmers and stood looking at a vast array of wellies of all types.
A chap turned up , dressed in overalls and smelling strongly of farmyards, as he walked past me, found a pair of overtrousers and walked back past me on his way to the tills. He saw me looking a bit flummoxed at all the various wellies and
said .
Get a pair of Bekina steplights, best boots I have ever had, comfortable, warm , dont leak and last forever .
I thanked him, found a pair that fit me , bought them and to this day they have been the best I have ever had , not what you would call fashionable ,not having fancy buckles or gussets at the side , warm on the coldest day but do not overheat on a hot day . Fantastic grip on the soles, and as the name suggests, very light to wear .
Made in Belgium.

I will heartily recommend them, a few friends have bought them and all are very pleased.

Mine get used for river bank work, charter boat fishing on wet and slippery decks, winter beach fishing in - 8 degrees or colder on the sand , walking in snow etc .

They have never let me down . Bekina make other types of wellies , with steel insoles / toecaps etc, I did not see the need for such safety wear but if you do need it they have lots of different styles etc to suit your needs.

David

I’ve got a pair of these and the guy in the shop said that they seem to be the farmers choice at the moment. The grip is exceptional and they do feel hardy. My only negative is that I was slightly in between sizes and mine are a little too big. I was on the way to the river though and realised all I had with me was the pair of crocs I was driving in. They’re one year old now and look as good as the day I bought them.

Before that I had grubs, I much preferred the fit and feel of them but after 2 years walking forestry clearfell sites they had multiple holes in the upper half. I work in bogs so that was the end of those. The grubs are plenty tough enough for fishing though the sole doesn’t compare to the Bekinas for grip.

Now purchased the Lechameau Vierzonord's.
Luckily for me my boss helped out with a Christmas gift, or otherwise I couldn't of afforded them.

Back