• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wellies

Yep as I said for warmth they are awesome but the plastic is quite tough and they all go on the join with the neoprene
So I can still use if piking and sat around all day but as an all-rounder / waterproof boot , couple of seasons
Now I have big calves so that doesn’t help and I did do miles in them so probably on me
All rubber flex better but still degrade but my missus had a pair of Le Chameu for 3 pairs of my grubs and she was dog walking same terrain as me but thank god she doesn’t have the turkey drummers like me- she has normal legs
My original Le Chameau Vierzonords lasted 10 years. That's 10 years of traipsing around muddy farmland for a living.

I'm 6 years plus into my 2nd pair now. Initially I didn't think they were as well made as the first pair as the buckles broke. I've subsequently repaired them and boots are still going strong. During this time I've also gone through a pair of Muckboot Artic sports bought for cold weather use. Very comfy but didn't last two winters.

As Tim said, you get what you pay for, although the Le Chameau's seem to a pair of wellies that couldn't last two winters.

I've got two pairs of Grubs, Frostline and Snowline. One pair has a small leak, intermittently annoyingly?!, so I'm disappointed about that and did email Grubs customer care without reply :rolleyes: They are comfy boots both pairs so great to walk in, feet do still get cold in the Snowlines in harsh winter though unless used with my battery heated socks. Not sure I'd buy another pair. They should be waterproof as a minimum at the cost they are and the Snowlines by name should be warmer than they are...

Saying that, bought the ex missus a pair of Frostline ones for walking the dog before we split up and she's had them a few years now and loves them, but she isn't ever standing in a river edge with hers 😂

So after a 4 page thread on some new winter boots , don’t think anyone is any wiser 😂🤣
As ever, people have to make their own minds up from the available information. You'll never get a consensus about what might be "best" amongst a disparate group of individuals who will all have slightly different needs and preferences. For example, no matter how many people say that a moon boot type is excellent, I won't even give them a second thought. I'm not a sedentary angler and my other use for wellies includes walking long distances over farmland and woods. The typical moon boots may well be excellent for keeping your tootsies warm when sedentary fishing, but they are invariably rubbish for walking in.

There are loads of options given in the thread, some of which will not have been known to most. To that end, it's anything but pointless, though it may have added to the confusion of anyone who might have expected a small number of suggestions to be obviously favoured.

As Tim said, you get what you pay for, although the Le Chameau's seem to a pair of wellies that couldn't last two winters.

That last sentence should have read:

...Le Chameau's seem cheap compared to a pair of wellies that couldn't last two winters.

I'd also add I think as s society we need to find a way to get back to paying more for quality products that last and that actually cost us less in the long-run. Like previous generations did. The planet can't sustain this throw away attitude to goods.

Cheaper brand manufacturers must regard their customers as mugs. Why sell them a pair of boots for £180 that lasts 10 years plus when you can sell them a pair for £70 every 2-3 years.

As ever, people have to make their own minds up from the available information. You'll never get a consensus about what might be "best" amongst a disparate group of individuals who will all have slightly different needs and preferences. For example, no matter how many people say that a moon boot type is excellent, I won't even give them a second thought. I'm not a sedentary angler and my other use for wellies includes walking long distances over farmland and woods. The typical moon boots may well be excellent for keeping your tootsies warm when sedentary fishing, but they are invariably rubbish for walking in.

There are loads of options given in the thread, some of which will not have been known to most. To that end, it's anything but pointless, though it may have added to the confusion of anyone who might have expected a small number of suggestions to be obviously favoured.
Don’t remember saying the thread was pointless , I just find it bemusing that one user would say a certain boot is warm in minus conditions and another say it’s not so warm . ( maybe wearing a certain sock helped ?)
I’m fully aware of Boom 80s having owned a few pair in the eighties, one look at them on the shelf and it would be obvious they would be no good for walking any kind of distance.

Don’t remember saying the thread was pointless , I just find it bemusing that one user would say a certain boot is warm in minus conditions and another say it’s not so warm . ( maybe wearing a certain sock helped ?)

Part and parcel of the preferences thing. People have different tolerances to temperature extremes, different circulation and metabolisms. Equally, it might come down to little more than wearing different socks.

Is it a good book Chris?

Much will depend on your taste. I know some that can't cope with anything connected to the fantasy genre. However, beyond some superficial fluff of his world having magic and magic practitioners, I tend to view it as a satirical parody of the real world. Some of the books are also subgenres within a genre. Men At Arms is part of one of those subgenres(Guards! Guards!, Men At Arms, Feet Of Clay, Jingo, The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch, Thud and Snuff). It's about police, policing, politics and societal issues. Effectively a police procedural with weird knobs on and an ever present comedic element poking fun at reality. I love Pratchett's books, whether you will is another matter.

Much will depend on your taste. I know some that can't cope with anything connected to the fantasy genre. However, beyond some superficial fluff of his world having magic and magic practitioners, I tend to view it as a satirical parody of the real world. Some of the books are also subgenres within a genre. Men At Arms is part of one of those subgenres(Guards! Guards!, Men At Arms, Feet Of Clay, Jingo, The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch, Thud and Snuff). It's about police, policing, politics and societal issues. Effectively a police procedural with weird knobs on and an ever present comedic element poking fun at reality. I love Pratchett's books, whether you will is another matter.
Not a genre I've ever read Chris. I'm more of a Ken Follett, Lee Child, Clive Cussler kind of guy.

The most "out there" book I've ever read was "A clockwork orange" and a bloody hard read it was!

Not a genre I've ever read Chris. I'm more of a Ken Follett, Lee Child, Clive Cussler kind of guy.

The most "out there" book I've ever read was "A clockwork orange" and a bloody hard read it was!

Pratchett books aren't hard reads. The trick to them is that they work on many levels. You can enjoy them without any effort at all or you can analyse them for every last pun, obscure reference and word play. Whatever floats your boat. If you require an introduction where lots of the puns and references will be familiar, try the novels that lampoon the movie industry (Moving Pictures) and the music business (Soul Music).

Even I'm not quite sure how a thread about wellies ended up with posts about the merits of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels.

Pratchett books aren't hard reads. The trick to them is that they work on many levels. You can enjoy them without any effort at all or you can analyse them for every last pun, obscure reference and word play. Whatever floats your boat. If you require an introduction where lots of the puns and references will be familiar, try the novels that lampoon the movie industry (Moving Pictures) and the music business (Soul Music).

Even I'm not quite sure how a thread about wellies ended up with posts about the merits of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels.
You started it😁

I use ryedale wellies they are cheap but pretty good quality neoprene wellies. I'm quite hard on boots and they don't last more than 2 years but as they're around £60 I don't mind

Le Chameau for me. Previous pair last over 25 years and had my existing pair for 4 years.
Very comfortable to walk in unlike many of the other makes.
P.S.
Terry Pratchett was an amazing writer. I have all of his books and must have read all the Discworld series at least 3 times. Always makes me laugh.
Very clever writer much more so than many other well known authors.
My wife has been nicknamed Nanny Ogg and her friend Granny Weatherwax.

My Muckboots, the Arctic Sport version, appear to be leaking, which is a bit disappointing given I've only had them two years. Someone has mentioned Grubs to me, which look very similar. Anyone recommend anything? I'm guessing we now live in an age where things are not made to last though, sadly.
I have Jack Pyke Ashcombe Neoprene wellies, absolutely bob on. I used to sell lots of Muck boots and we used to return many pairs, split and leaking

Just google Bekina Steplights Paul, lots of shops stock them, they retail at about £55.00 a pair or thereabouts, so quite a bit cheaper than some named brands .
You will certainly find them in Agricultural suppliers .

David
I took a punt on these, delivered yesterday.
They look very good, lovely and light.
Will be testing grip and warmth in the coming months 😁
Thanks for the reccomendation 👍

Steve

These turned up yesterday , even though Grubs say order your normal size I still went with a size up in a 10 .
glad i did as they fit perfect .
not sure what the 8.5 means but the description says 5 mm neoprene , definitely thicker neoprene than my Muckboots .
very well constructed and a fair bit heavier than my Muckboots Derwent I’ve worn all summer .
at £40 I don’t think you can go wrong , ordered some Merino wool socks from flea bay hopefully that will be the end of cold feet this winter .

Back