• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wellies

These turned up yesterday , even though Grubs say order your normal size I still went with a size up in a 10 .
glad i did as they fit perfect .
not sure what the 8.5 means but the description says 5 mm neoprene , definitely thicker neoprene than my Muckboots .
very well constructed and a fair bit heavier than my Muckboots Derwent I’ve worn all summer .
at £40 I don’t think you can go wrong , ordered some Merino wool socks from flea bay hopefully that will be the end of cold feet this winter .

Are they a full size too small Kevin do you think? I'm a 9.5 to 10 so unsure whether to go 10 or 11...

Thanks,
Andy

Are they a full size too small Kevin do you think? I'm a 9.5 to 10 so unsure whether to go 10 or 11...

Thanks,
Andy
I wouldn’t say full size no , as I was wearing two pair of socks when I tried them on , I’d say a size 10 in your case with one pair of thick socks
pretty sure an 11 even with two pairs of socks will be too big .

Just ordered two pairs. As a 13 I have to strike while the irons hot.

Now here’s a real bargain
I’ve been wearing these the last few weeks and they are superb , warm and comfortable
Can’t go wrong for £30 !

Hi Kevin, two questions please. 1. Are the boots wide enough at the top to tuck your jeans inside ( they look close fitting in the picture). 2. Are they light in weight of does the reinforcement make them heavy.
Thanks,
Mike

Hi Kevin, two questions please. 1. Are the boots wide enough at the top to tuck your jeans inside ( they look close fitting in the picture). 2. Are they light in weight of does the reinforcement make them heavy.
Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike
I’d say they are wide enough but I like my salopettes over the boot
They are much heavier than my Muck boots Derwent , but there 8.5 mm neoprene so a lot warmer than the Derwents
I don’t actually feel the extra weight when walking , they do feel like a solid construction though and should last a few years

Mine turned up this morning, they're a great fit with a pair of thick merino socks, I could even wear them with a thin and thick pair.

Thanks 👍
Yeah I love mine , usually wear a thin pair and a thick pair ( I’m a nine and I bought a ten )
I paid £40 for mine which I still think is fantastic value
you basically stole them for £30 🤪

I'm loathe to buy without trying but visited a branch of Naylors and was impressed at the range of wellies including Grubs, Aigle, Royal Scot, Barbour, Hunter. Tried loads on and found what I wanted. Some of their BF deals are worth a look using the code on the website

Useful if you have a branch near you. https://www.naylors.com/

I had a really good pair of Le Chemeau that did me for about 15 years and bought another pair 2 or 3 years ago but they have a crappy sole which doesn’t grip like the previous pair. Last winter I paid about £24 for a neoprene pair from one of the Laldil shops which looks like many of the types you can pay £75 for and they really are value for money. To make a wellie seem warm you just need to slip in a wool inner sole which acts as a thermal barrier.

Back