• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wellies

I've had a pair of skellerup quattro sport wellies for about 7 years now. Never had cold feet even in the coldest temps while piking.
Made in new Zealand for the sheep farmers so made to last.
They are on my shortlist to see in the flesh and try on. As I also need some new thigh waders, they may well be Skellerup too.

I can second the recommendation for Quatro Sport, excellent boots. I went with these after having problems with Muckboots Arctic Sport and an even worse experience with Grubs Snowline. Avoid those two like the plague!!

I've tried lots of the more expensive wellies and have been dissaponted either through longevity or cold feet. To go with my Altberg walking boots I've now got a pair of Navitas thermal wellies, very warm and comfortable, easy to walk in and the best bit only £35.00!
What's the grip like on the Navitas Paul?
I've had a pair of Rovex for a few seasons which have been great but the grip is poor so looking for something new

Steve

Aigle are the best wellies on the planet for me, its just a shame that they don't do a proper sub zero temp boot
The Aigle neo boots are plenty warm enough for me.

Im old enough to remember Boom-80 (and Skeetex) moon boots which were standard issue 30 odd years ago. I’d rather have the Aigle’s anyday.

Fencham boots:

Some of you will remember the last thread here (Spring ‘23) about footwear and somebody mentioned a sale of Fencham boots.

I bought a pair of their basic (non- neo) boots for £30 and they split after about 3 weeks.

They sent me a replacement pair, which I have worn regularly for the past few months. Today they split.

So it’s back to the Aigle neo boots for me - you get what you pay for……
I bought a pair of the Fencham Ankle boots after reading a recommendation on an angling forum (I don't think it was this one) and found them both very heavy and over-sized (I normally take a size 12 and other makes I've tried have been fine). What has made them wearable has been these very useful liners, which I've used in other boots and been amazed at the difference they make to comfort levels: https://www.theshoelace.co.uk/acatalog/Bama-Sokkets--Wellie-Warmers--500429_A.html

Agree with that on thermal properties , just didn't last, they started to leak where the neoprene meets the moulded plastic- happened on all Grub wellies I've had but I did do a lot of dog walking in them too - Vibram soles were great too. Just expected more than 12-18 months so went All-rubber and so far so good.
I’ve had mine for 3 years I think, and they’re still OK but then I probably don’t do the miles in them you did, as they only get used for fishing. Now I’ve said that, they’ll probably spring a leak now and I’ll be back looking at this thread for recommendations!

I’ve had mine for 3 years I think, and they’re still OK but then I probably don’t do the miles in them you did, as they only get used for fishing. Now I’ve said that, they’ll probably spring a leak now and I’ll be back looking at this thread for recommendations!
They have an updated version now, to alleviate the soles coming away. etc

That’s good news, because they’re the best boots I’ve ever had for keeping my feet warm that have a good sole on them. So many boots seem to have soles that become lethal when it’s wet or muddy.
1/2 inch thick neoprene 😳 wow! I bet they are brilliant on freezing cold days.
I’ve got a set of vass boots. Now I love the waders and the bib n brace but the boots are the biggest pile of crap ever. My feet freeze in them and I’m not talking about cold days either. Just normal October Weather. They might be fleece lined and call them a winter boot but I’d avoid the vass ones like the plague. Total shite.

I’m going to look at these grub boots myself and sling them ones of mine in the bin.

I've had a pair of Rovex for a few seasons which have been great but the grip is poor so looking for something new

Steve
In my experience the Navitas are horrible for grip and not that good for walking in , I usually use crampons with them , although I bought a pair of Muck boots Derwent and there are a lot better for walking but I had cold feet the other day so looking for some decent winter boots now , it’s never ending !

On offer £75:

On offer £75:
Shame I’m not a size 12

Steve
I wouldn't say grip is their strong point Steve. For general walking to the swim they're fine, I walk about 3/4's of a mile sometimes more to some swims on the Derwent through long grass and comfort wise they're surprisingly good. When the bank is particularly gooey I do now fit some crampons to the soles when I'm actually fishing. Having spent a lot of money on wellies over the years it's just the heat retention and comfort that impress me for 35 quid.

They have an updated version now, to alleviate the soles coming away. etc
Yep as I said for warmth they are awesome but the plastic is quite tough and they all go on the join with the neoprene
So I can still use if piking and sat around all day but as an all-rounder / waterproof boot , couple of seasons
Now I have big calves so that doesn’t help and I did do miles in them so probably on me
All rubber flex better but still degrade but my missus had a pair of Le Chameu for 3 pairs of my grubs and she was dog walking same terrain as me but thank god she doesn’t have the turkey drummers like me- she has normal legs

Back