• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wellies

I tend not to wreck wellies before replacing them. They are usually replaced because I deem the sole inadequately grippy (through wear or design). Another reason is that I'm finding that I'm increasingly uncomfortable with footwear that's not got a sole with adequate torsional stability. I spend a decent amount of time yomping miles over farmland and woodland in wellies. Wellies with thin or unduly flexible soles leave me with sore feet.

I still have an ancient pair of Hunter Royals and a pair of Le Chemeaus which are still serviceable. However, I'm currently wearing Grubs Speyline when it's way too wet for proper stout leather Goretex boots. They are decent, but I'm not entirely sold on them just yet. Considering that I got them for less than £100, they are better than I thought they might be. However, I have a feeling that I may end up biting the bullet and trying the Aigle Parcours at some point. How wet this Autumn/Winter is will probably be the deciding factor.

A quick PS to my original post about Gumleaf. I have chunky calves and can't get a good fit with Hunters or Le Chameau (even those with zips), which is the main reason I tried Gumleaf.

I've tried lots of the more expensive wellies and have been dissaponted either through longevity or cold feet. To go with my Altberg walking boots I've now got a pair of Navitas thermal wellies, very warm and comfortable, easy to walk in and the best bit only £35.00!

Aigle Parcours 2 ISO, bomb proof, had mine 9 years and I live in them for autum/winter fishing. Made in France, not China.

When the weather goes proper sub zero then Grubs Snowline. Had them a couple of years and no issues.

I bought some Navitas EVA wellies a couple of years ago. They are extremely light (350g per boot) and have a lovely neoprene inner that you can remove if needed. They only cost about 30 shekels too.

Jack pike neoprene wellies have served me well on the tidal and Humber, got two pairs and the rubber tang at the back makes them quite easy to get off and good value as well .

Fencham boots:

Some of you will remember the last thread here (Spring ‘23) about footwear and somebody mentioned a sale of Fencham boots.

I bought a pair of their basic (non- neo) boots for £30 and they split after about 3 weeks.

They sent me a replacement pair, which I have worn regularly for the past few months. Today they split.

So it’s back to the Aigle neo boots for me - you get what you pay for……

Fencham boots:

Some of you will remember the last thread here (Spring ‘23) about footwear and somebody mentioned a sale of Fencham boots.

I bought a pair of their basic (non- neo) boots for £30 and they split after about 3 weeks.

They sent me a replacement pair, which I have worn regularly for the past few months. Today they split.

So it’s back to the Aigle neo boots for me - you get what you pay for……

Aigle are the best wellies on the planet for me, its just a shame that they don't do a proper sub zero temp boot

Aigle are the best wellies on the planet for me, its just a shame that they don't do a proper sub zero temp boot
Have a look at the Le Chameau Vierzonord Plus boots. Based on the tried and tested Vierzonord's but with 5mm of neoprene rather than the standard 3mm. They also have an insulated sole. Not cheap, but very well made.

On the subject of Aigles at Decathlon, often they only stock (in store) the standard Parcours 2, not the Iso. Still a good price though
IMG_5297.jpeg

Grubs Snowline for me. Sat in -8 in them last winter and my feet were still comfortably warm
Agree with that on thermal properties , just didn't last, they started to leak where the neoprene meets the moulded plastic- happened on all Grub wellies I've had but I did do a lot of dog walking in them too - Vibram soles were great too. Just expected more than 12-18 months so went All-rubber and so far so good.

I've had a pair of skellerup quattro sport wellies for about 7 years now. Never had cold feet even in the coldest temps while piking.
Made in new Zealand for the sheep farmers so made to last.

Back