• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Waterproof Recommendations

Julian Griffiths

Hi all.

I'd like to purchase a decent set of waterproof jacket and trousers. Don't want an all in one job!

I use to have the Sundridge Igloo suit many years ago, which was too heavy!

Just wondering what you guys are using?

Cheers
Julian

Budget ?

My recommendations would start at Highlander over trousers for £30 right up to a Halkon Hunt bib and brace custom made for £300.

I've always liked a bib and brace. Helps keep my lower back warm. My set up is a Trakker one, B&B, Fleece and a coat. It's very good. Not sure about the waterproofness though, as when it rains I sit under a brolly, but I'd recommend it.

I've also had Halkon Hunt when I match fished. Made to measure stuff, measured up by the girls from HH. It wasn't Gore tex as they hadn't started using it then, but the experience was superb. ;)

As with all waterproof clothing, the secret is to keep it clean and re-proof it regularly. That way the outer will bead up when it rains and not "wet out", and if the material is GTX, the breathability will be maintained.

As an aside, I'm not a big fan of GTX. I've done a lot of hill walking in my youth and bought very expensive outer layers. Ascending and descending a mountain wearing GTX has left me just as soaked from sweat as as if I wasn't wearing my outers. Having said that, standing pitch side, watching a local Rugby game in the pouring rain, I was lovely and dry. I just don't think it's as good as they make out when you're working hard whilst wearing it. JMHO.

Thanks guys!

Mind was blown away from what Halkon Hunt can offer, but designing my own custom fit is something I wouldn't want to make any mistakes on. But thanks Simon for your advice as a possible recommendation mate!

I've since been in contact with Fortis, (not committed) as they're waterproof gear.
looks good, mind you, so does their prices!

Sean, I've had Prologic gear before, been impressed with their clothing, so will look further into that.

And a great idea on ex military surplus shops, but would as someone mentioned, worry about the sizing.

But yes thanks very much for the suggestions. Got lots to go at! 👍

Hi all.

I'd like to purchase a decent set of waterproof jacket and trousers. Don't want an all in one job!

I use to have the Sundridge Igloo suit many years ago, which was too heavy!

Just wondering what you guys are using?

Cheers
Julian
Julian,
Take a look at the Vass 175 gear! My son recently bought a pullover smock top and trouser set and to be honest I was sceptical as to whether it was breathable ‘cos I warm up a tad when yomping but he returned from a recent three day trip to his Carp (spit !) syndicate and the rain tipped it down and he assures me he stayed dry both from the rain and condensation. Lightweight, flexible and available either lined or unlined. I’m going to splash out on a bib and brace and jacket (rather than smock top.)
Regards
Bill

Last edited:
Depends on what you intend to use if for? Sitting out in a deluge all day without a brolly or stashed in the rucksack and only pulled out when necessary?

If you want the nuts in terms of waterproofing Goretex Pro is the best fabric - its effectively allergic to rain. However - once covered in mud/slime/boilie dip/oils/sheep sh*t etc its effectiveness reduces so you need to keep it clean. I've got an Arcteryx Goretex Pro jacket and trousers for skiing and they are both excellent however I'd never wear them fishing . . !

Money no option, go for this - https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/products/recon/

Personally however think there's a balance and whilst I'd never 'normally' recommend a fishing / carp taxed branded product this one is actually rather good and I've been using these for a couple of seasons now -

Korda Drykore - https://www.tacklebox.co.uk/clothing-and-footwear/clothing/korda-dry-kore-jacket.html

The Drykore kit is very lightweight, non sweaty, non crinkly, stretchy and comfortable to sit in all day. Buy a size up to layer with (under a decent fleece / puffa) or use next to skin in the summer months. I have both jacket and trousers - recommended, and cheaper than the Fortis alternative. Lots of 15-20% off deals on at the moment with the major retailers so a good time to buy . . .

Last edited:
Budget 200.00 I guess. And thanks for your thoughts 👍😊
For that budget look at aqua f12.

Highly recommended.

Anything in Goretex Pro really.
Sportspursuit do some good current year deals.

Jack Wolfskin jacket and Berghaus over trousers, both looking very well worn but both still totally waterproof. Bought replacements on good discounts over a year ago thinking they were likely to need replacing soon - both still unused.

How on the earth I forgot that. The Austrian M65 GORE TEX version, if you can get the size right, nothing can beat it at 50-80 GBP.

I've since been in contact with Fortis, (not committed) as they're waterproof gear.
looks good, mind you, so does their prices!

A friend of mine is a gamekeeper. He bought a Fortis Forester Jacket at the back end of November. It seems very well made with good quality rip stop fabric. He did have to wait about a month for them to make the matching trousers that weren't available off the peg.

I was in the market for such a jacket as I'm sick of beating in waxed cotton. I was tempted by the Fortis but the price was a bit much for me for a beating jacket. I've ended up taking a blind punt on a discounted Shooterking jacket. It's a brand that I wasn't familiar with before and no one I know has done more than heard of the brand name. I was swayed by their use of Cordura fabrics and much lower prices. As the jacket is yet to arrive, it might yet be a big mistake.

Even if you don't fancy Shooterking, you may find something worthwhile at bushwear.co.uk, they also happen to have 30% off all clothing at the moment.

The following silliness did help convince me that the Shooterking stuff will be up to the wet, muddy and thorney abuse I'm likely to subject it to.

I find goretex loses it waterproofing pretty quickly and wets out. You can reproof but it never seems to last as well and is pretty pricey reproofing all tge time.
I switched to Paramo kit a good few years back and I've been really pleased with it. It's a little warmer than goretex which works well for fishing without being too warm whilst roaming the banks. It still needs the occasional reproofing but much less frequently.

I'm a fan of The Vass products. I went for the bib n brace option for winter, but they also do just the trousers if you prefer and have options from heavy duty, to lighter, both in winter or summer versions.

The smock in the winter lined version I have: https://www.vassrainwear.co.uk/waders/clothing/team-vass-175-winter-lined-smock.html
Also in the more popular khaki: https://www.vassrainwear.co.uk/waders/clothing/team-vass-175-winter-lined-smock-khaki-edition.html
The winter (light version) bib & Brace: https://www.vassrainwear.co.uk/waders/clothing/team-vass-175-winter-lined-smock-khaki-edition.html
The winter lined trousers: https://www.vassrainwear.co.uk/waders/clothing/team-vass-175-winter-lined-trouser-khaki-edition.html

These are really warm and suitable from cool to sub zero temps from my experience.

Even though I have not gone for the heavier "heavy duty" versions, I have not had any trouble with wear and tear over the two years I have now owned them. But if you spend a lot of time kneeling in more urban area, they would be worth considering for the thicker knee pading provided.

Good luck.

I find goretex loses it waterproofing pretty quickly and wets out. You can reproof but it never seems to last as well and is pretty pricey reproofing all tge time.
I switched to Paramo kit a good few years back and I've been really pleased with it. It's a little warmer than goretex which works well for fishing without being too warm whilst roaming the banks. It still needs the occasional reproofing but much less frequently.
Does that use Nikwax?

Back