• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Waterproof Recommendations

I have only just read this post but wanted to add something in relation to Goretex (or similar) clothing.

It may be a fabric that stops rain from getting in but allows perspiration out however:

Raindrops are made up of many molecules of water, while sweat is in the form of vapour, which is usually a single molecule. This evaporates from the surface of your skin, through a base layer then out through the holes in the fabric which are big enough to let the vapour out, but too small to let raindrops in. Breathability is reduced if there is a lot of water clinging to the outside of the fabric, so an additional water repellent finish is required that allows the water run off the outside of the fabric so the vapour can escape.

That additonal water reppelent finish is key and can make all the difference. You can buy your own treatment and apply to existing clothing if currently having this issue. However I don't own any Goretex as much of my fishing always seems to involve going through head undergrowth where thorns just shred the material.

British Army DMP (damp proof membrane) for me from ebay. Its cheap and reliable, I expect to get 5+ years out of the jacket and trousers. It gets washed a couple of times per year with tech wash and is reproofed annually with nikwax reproofer.

The biggest issue isn't the fabric type, (although Gortex is the best) its the taped seams and especially on the shoulder area. I do a lot of birding, carrying a heavy tripod and telescope on my back. My expensive Gortex jackets always fail in this area, as the weight of the tripod/scope pack, pulls down on the seams.

Its exactly the same when carrying heavy tackle e.g. rugbags and rod hodalls, which put pressure on the taped seams..

Also the same with walking shoes and boots, as the internal Gortex membrane is a pile of crap, as foot movement soon causes the seams to fail!

Last edited:
British Army DMP (damp proof membrane) for me from ebay. Its cheap and reliable, I expect to get 5+ years out of the jacket and trousers. It gets washed a couple of times per year with tech wash and is reproofed annually with nikwax reproofer.

The biggest issue isn't the fabric type, (although Gortex is the best) its the taped seams and especially on the shoulder area. I do a lot of birding, carrying a heavy tripod and telescope on my back. My expensive Gortex jackets always fail in this area, as the weight of the tripod/scope pack, pulls down on the seams.

Its exactly the same when carrying heavy tackle e.g. rugbags and rod hodalls, which put pressure on the taped seams..

Also the same with walking shoes and boots, as the internal Gortex membrane is a pile of crap, as foot movement soon causes the seams to fail!
I was looking into getting some hiking boots suitable for mud. So many complaining about the goretex not working within days of owning them. I can't decide if I should bother with it at all, but I don't want to go down the leather boot option for various reasons.

I was looking into getting some hiking boots suitable for mud. So many complaining about the goretex not working within days of owning them. I can't decide if I should bother with it at all, but I don't want to go down the leather boot option for various reasons.

Ive got a pair of expensive Salomon Hiking boots, which are fabric with a gortex lining. The most comfortable walking boots, that I’ve ever owned, but the gortex membrane soon failed.

According to what Ive read on a couple of hiking forums, leather boots and dubbin is still the best option.

Back