• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

waterproof and breathable salopettes/ bib and brace , recommendations ?

Mike Hodgkiss

As things get cooler / damper I am after a set of the above , don't mind camo , draw the line at realtree, something unobtrusive colourwise would be fine . Any ideas ? Thanks in advance .

I'm with George on this one. The German Army issue 'flecktarn pattern' in Goretex is what I swear by. Get it new if possible. Any other gear may have been washed and will no doubt have lost its repellency, making the breathability virtually non-existant. For £30 I got what would have cost over £100 in the shops.

I agree, ex services gear is top quality and good value...I have French NATO issue Goretex, which is excellent.

If budget is a priority, or if you are unable to get the brand new stuff, don't worry too much. Re-proofing with Nikwax will soon bring the repellency and breathability back, providing they were not washed using detergent...that does complicate things a little :p

Cheers, Dave.

Anyone use the ESP quilted sallopettes?? or the Snugpac sallopettes???

Last edited:
I have the Nash Zero tolerance sallopettes and coat.

The downside is you can't really walk any long distances in them as they are too hot once you have them on.

You have to walk to a swim then put the stuff on. I think I remember the advertising says it's like putting on a duvet, and it is. I use the trousers this time of year and only add the coat when it's 0 degrees really as a fleece over the top is fine.

Had them for 4 or 5 years or so and if you go fishing in very cold weather I can't recommend it enough. You simply don't get cold so means you can fish longer.

Ah, apologies, just read thread title and these are not breathable are they?! Sorry..

I recently purchased a pair of the Chub bib and brace trousers. Waterproof and breathable, tried them out last time I went and they seemed to do the job. Climax Tackle are selling them at £25 at the moment. The only thing I would say is the bib is not that high but I found them comfortable and kept me nice a warm on a chilly evening.

I'm with Deano on the Greay GRX waterproofs, they ARE waterproof, fleece lined so reasonably warm but also cool enough to wear in the summer. I am a big believer in layers and with a pair of base layer trousers, again the greys ones are superb (if not a little too hot!!) you will happilliy sit in minus conditions without the cold creeping through.

Have had mine 3 years now and have washed and re-proofed them about 5 times without any problem.....

They are breathable too........

Ian...would you elaborate a bit about the base layer trousers please....I can keep my upper body quite snug but my legs and especially my knees tend to suffer !!

I think Ian is basing talking about the new type of long john trousers Bill. Generally available from most sports stores and some tackle makers such as Nash, TFG do them as well. I got a pair last winter from halfords from the cycling dept and although you look like a ballet dancer smuggling squirrels they really helped keep my legs and lower back nice and warm. Made a change from the builders smile I normally have and freezing loer back.

Stuart is correct, long johns, basically...........

I have a few different pairs but last season bought a greys base layer suit which is basically intended as a base layer when wearing waders, it consists of longjohn trousers and a longsleeved top with an extended back section, it is very, very warm, tight fitting (mind you everything is tight fitting when you are my size!!!) and very thin, I am amazed.

Simon, do those nash tops come down to below the waist? I have the TFG set which are worm but dont cover my lower back sufficently.

Cheers Fella's...tips much appreciated...and Stuart, look after the squirrels !!!

Thanks for all your very helpful replies , much appreciated . At present I have narrowed things down to the Greys gear or maybe the drennan series 7 salopettes which are keenly priced .Good tips about the under layers as well :D

Back