• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Water Company Dividends up £540m from last year...

What's going on with Thames Water? They are in the sh1t, Their CEO has departed rather rapidly, apparently there's been emergency talks being held to secure it from collapsing with £14 Billion debt!
Btb mark, she also took her bonus of just under half a mil according to the tv news,,, nice work

However a few have declined their bonuses because of sewage discharges
It is becoming more of an issue now thanks to folk highlighting these issues.
Certainly is becoming more of a highlighted issue... Elections around the not too distant corner too remember 😂

I don't for one minute want this to occur, but I'm waiting for that horrible scenario, where a poor unsuspecting innocent person contracts some sort of serious waterborne infection/illness/ or heaven forbid a disease, attributed directly from swimming within our river's.

That in itself unfortunately will happen at some point, before I think anything serious will happen to address these issues.
I hope the above scenario doesn't occur obviously, but I do often find myself quietly thinking about this situation.

Certainly is becoming more of a highlighted issue... Elections around the not too distant corner too remember 😂

I don't for one minute want this to occur, but I'm waiting for that horrible scenario, where a poor unsuspecting innocent person contracts some sort of serious waterborne infection/illness/ or heaven forbid a disease, attributed directly from swimming within our river's.

That in itself unfortunately will happen at some point, before I think anything serious will happen to address these issues.
I hope the above scenario doesn't occur obviously, but I do often find myself quietly thinking about this situation.
Well I nearly died after fishing a flooded Severn 2019 and the start of the New Year 2020 I had major surgery resulting in some of me missing :( . Thinking back a session there was a huge smell of sewage and the retreating flood left ...well you know what.
The lack of action on the part of successive Govt's to deal with these issues is crriminal, and now they have just considered it an election issue, for me it should first and foremost on the list of do's.
I shudder when I see free swimmers and paddle boarders seemingly oblivious to the dangers, they are literally putting their lives at risk. Only this week the BBC news featured a weir on the 'Avon' (take your pick there's three), but I knew it as the Bristol Avon nr Bath where two bikini clad mid age women were swimming in one of the most polluted rivers in the country .
But of course if the real quality of water was made known there would be huge public concern, it's a cover up because there would be consequences for the water companies and farming, and the cost would cost £billions.

Well I nearly died after fishing a flooded Severn 2019 and the start of the New Year 2020 I had major surgery resulting in some of me missing :( . Thinking back a session there was a huge smell of sewage and the retreating flood left ...well you know what.
The lack of action on the part of successive Govt's to deal with these issues is crriminal, and now they have just considered it an election issue, for me it should first and foremost on the list of do's.
I shudder when I see free swimmers and paddle boarders seemingly oblivious to the dangers, they are literally putting their lives at risk. Only this week the BBC news featured a weir on the 'Avon' (take your pick there's three), but I knew it as the Bristol Avon nr Bath where two bikini clad mid age women were swimming in one of the most polluted rivers in the country .
But of course if the real quality of water was made known there would be huge public concern, it's a cover up because there would be consequences for the water companies and farming, and the cost would cost £billions.
So sorry to of read what happened to you, & I'm utterly shocked Neil.
It's very scary that something as innocent as swimming, paddling, fishing can bare so many consequences.

I shudder to think that just last season I was in the Colne doing some work party, cutting my arm whilst within that filthy smelling river, and greatful in hindsight that nothing (touchwood) occurred.
I'll be mindful from here on in!

Ms Bentley gave up all of her bonus, according to every source I've seen ... and a very large portion of the dividends that have been paid out have gone to companies that provide pensions for retirees (e.g. pensions for retired nurses etc etc etc).
I believe water should be nationalised but, whilst it is in private ownership, it needs investors. And it will be them that take on all the financial risks, for a reward of a below inflation income of ~4%, before dividend tax.

For a period I worked for a wholly owned subsidiary of Southern Water. All employees could join the SW share option scheme. You basically saved into the company savings account, and after 5 years, when the share price hopefully had gone up, you could purchase the shares at the previous price. Share price increase incentivisation.There is a good argument for taking vital strategic industries like water back into public ownership.

I honestly believe that this is one of the biggest scandals of my lifetime!

Cant get my head around why Keir Starmer never raises this in PMQ's? But then again, has he ever even asked an environmental question in PMQ's?

As anglers and conservationists, who are we supposed to vote for at the next election?

I honestly believe that this is one of the biggest scandals of my lifetime!

Cant get my head around why Keir Starmer never raises this in PMQ's? But then again, has he ever even asked an environmental question in PMQ's?

As anglers and conservationists, who are we supposed to vote for at the next election?
I agree but why is Scottish Water such a disaster then?
G.T.

If this pollution had been introduced into our waters by an ‘unfriendly’ country we would be mobilising our tanks…..sorry, I should have said TANK…. Sorry I am always being told to stop exaggerating things.😱🇬🇧
G.T.

If this pollution had been introduced into our waters by an ‘unfriendly’ country we would be mobilising our tanks…..sorry, I should have said TANK…. Sorry I am always being told to stop exaggerating things.😱🇬🇧
G.T.
At the risk of repetition, our water resources were probably inadequate 60 years ago. I remember the Don in S Yorkshire being a polluted chemical stream But they cleaned it up, mainly as a result of the most polluting companies closing down. In the1950's our population was circa 54 mill. Officially it stated now as 78 mill financial manoeuvres expected to rise in the next 20 years to 85 mill. We. Have no more water, house building stagnates, schools and the NHS are free and available for the world. I accept that humanity has moved since creation for a better life and will continue to do so. What I can't accept is ignoring the blindingly obvious and ignoring the root cause. We have to accept immigration as a fact. We must deal properly with the consequence. All politicians and senior management have turned a blind eye to this as well as the creative manoeuvres used by financial sharks. Why? Answers please on a £50 note. Don't expect a reply.

At the risk of repetition, our water resources were probably inadequate 60 years ago. I remember the Don in S Yorkshire being a polluted chemical stream But they cleaned it up, mainly as a result of the most polluting companies closing down. In the1950's our population was circa 54 mill. Officially it stated now as 78 mill financial manoeuvres expected to rise in the next 20 years to 85 mill. We. Have no more water, house building stagnates, schools and the NHS are free and available for the world. I accept that humanity has moved since creation for a better life and will continue to do so. What I can't accept is ignoring the blindingly obvious and ignoring the root cause. We have to accept immigration as a fact. We must deal properly with the consequence. All politicians and senior management have turned a blind eye to this as well as the creative manoeuvres used by financial sharks. Why? Answers please on a £50 note. Don't expect a reply.
I was asking about the advantages of nationalisation actually when Scottish Water is nationalised and crap ( apparently ) and the European countries Water Resources are similarly nationalised and crap ( apparently).
G.T.

Isn’t the slight hole in the argument for renationalising pretty much anything, they got sold for a reason (well many) and why giving direct control to government who have failed for decades to control the situation via legislation makes little sense. It’s like handing the controls back to a bad manager and expecting better results.

Last edited:
Isn’t the slight hole in the argument for renationalising pretty much anything, they got sold for a reason and why giving direct control to government who have failed for decades to control via legislation makes little sense. It’s like handing the controls back to s bad manager and expecting better results.
Sadly that is a view I share. The success stories of nationalised industries are rare because there are none. The counter used is that certain things ought to be in public ownership. I accept that too but this means inevitably they become fiendishly expensive, think British RAIL ETC.

You cannot get away from the simple point I already made, privatised water company combined debt £54 billion, amount paid in share dividends £66 billion. There was little to no debt to begin with! I only see two paths forward:

- taken into public ownership and at what cost, which bill payers will need to fund.
- stays as is in current ownership model and bill payers clear the debt.

It’s a national disgrace and the biggest political scandal of my life time. Nothing will get done until after the next election and both the Tories and Labour, will avoid discussing it, in the lead up to next years general election. It’s totally f*cking criminal 😡😡😡

Back