• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wanted - Harrison or similar Barbel rod

Rob Francis

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone was thinking of selling a good quality Barbel rod?
Ive decided I'd like something Harrison based again, or maybe a Free Spirit...
Ideally 11ft in length but am open to all offers or suggestions?
Im based in Somerset/Wiltshire.
Thanks in advance,
Rob

Although I see very few advantages in an 11ft rod over a 12ft rod, I think the best Harrison barbel all-rounder rod must be the 11ft Torrix 1.75lb.
I reckon very few people using a 12ft rod would think "I wish this rod was shorter/only 11ft, but a fair few would think "I wish this 11ft rod was a bit longer".
But if you're set on an 11 footer, hold out for a Torrix 1.75 11ft, and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

where will you be fishing,??
Big River ! Small River ?
Are there Double figure Barbel where yo will be fishing ?

where will you be fishing,??
Big River ! Small River ?
Are there Double figure Barbel where yo will be fishing ?
Fishing a small stretch of the Bristol Avon so failry small, as for doubles, there could be one or two but I dont think Im going to see much action at all lol

Although I see very few advantages in an 11ft rod over a 12ft rod, I think the best Harrison barbel all-rounder rod must be the 11ft Torrix 1.75lb.
I reckon very few people using a 12ft rod would think "I wish this rod was shorter/only 11ft, but a fair few would think "I wish this 11ft rod was a bit longer".
But if you're set on an 11 footer, hold out for a Torrix 1.75 11ft, and I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Thanks Terry, I have heard good things about that blank. I used to use an 11ft GTi in the old days. Just setting up again now and Id like to use a pair of rods at times to maximise my chances but do also ove just roving around with the minimum amount of gear and a lighter/shorter rod at times too.

I disagree with Terrys comments on this one regarding the length difference between an 11 and 12 foot rod. Being a very long term owner of both I’d say there’s a lot of difference between them and one will definitely fit into your fishing better than another.

The main advantages to having a 12ft rod over an 11.
You’ll cast further
You’ll keep more line out of the water if you intend on fishing rods high
You’ll extend a little further past bank side vegetation if required.

Advantages of the 11 over the 12
Better control of powerful fish and Apply more pressure because the lever is shorter to the fish
Slightly more compact if lower hanging trees are an issue.

I use both 11 and 12.
River, conditions, payload and distance will all dictate which is best.

11ft GTI is a brilliant rod by the way
Very classicly through actioned

Chimera 2 would be the closest 12ft rod to the GTI. Again it’s fantastic.

Torrix you should try out first. They are a little different. I love the 11ft torrix it’s a personal favorite of mine but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

I disagree with Terrys comments on this one regarding the length difference between an 11 and 12 foot rod. Being a very long term owner of both I’d say there’s a lot of difference between them and one will definitely fit into your fishing better than another.

The main advantages to having a 12ft rod over an 11.
You’ll cast further
You’ll keep more line out of the water if you intend on fishing rods high
You’ll extend a little further past bank side vegetation if required.

Advantages of the 11 over the 12
Better control of powerful fish and Apply more pressure because the lever is shorter to the fish
Slightly more compact if lower hanging trees are an issue.

I use both 11 and 12.
River, conditions, payload and distance will all dictate which is best.

11ft GTI is a brilliant rod by the way
Very classicly through actioned

Chimera 2 would be the closest 12ft rod to the GTI. Again it’s fantastic.

Torrix you should try out first. They are a little different. I love the 11ft torrix it’s a personal favorite of mine but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.
Some food for thought there Richard.
I think for now Id be happy with a quality rod of either length but then maybe get my own build made up at a later date.
Which 11ft Torrix do you have the 1.75 or the 2.00? And can I ask in what way they are 'different'
Cheers

I have the 1.75’s but the 2lb is equally as brilliant there is actually not much in it at all. To my knowledge they share the same butt section.

All torrix rods have faster taper blanks apart from 1 which is an odd torrix and that’s the 12’ 2.25. Bizarre I know but this definitely falls into the through slower action rods.

The others have faster tips, some more than others so they are not your usual classical barbel rod action and not everyone likes that.

I find the 11’s perfect for me as they are a 2/3 through action with a semi fast tip.
I’m not a lover of the 12’s (excluding the 2.25 I do love that rod) but the 12 1.75/2lb are a bit too tippy for my liking.

I’d recommend trying any rod out before buying but definitely more so a Torrix as they are a little different to the norm.

Don’t dismiss daiwa if your happy with 12’s
The infinity is great and the basia is just wow!

I started with 12 ft 1.75 Harrison’s ( dark carbon) last year and thought they were wonderful, previous rod was a 12ft Korum 1.75

Then I started to fish a smaller river with tight swims lots of overhanging snags etc and decided to go for a 11ft rod
I read some of the glowing reviews of the torrix blank on here and decided on that

I ended up with a pair of 11ft 2.0 torrixs and honestly I can’t see my self using anything else now , the 12ft dark carbons haven’t left my tackle room so far this season .

the 11fts are almost a dual action , nice soft tip that shows just about any bite , even had a few Dace on them
then when you want the power to stop a decent fish it’s all there in spades
so light and responsive almost like an extension of your right arm , equally at home lobbing 4oz feeders as flicking a 1oz lead down a near side slack . pair it with a 4000 size reel and I don’t see it getting much better , or hard to imagine at least

Hi Rob,
I'll add another couple of rods to the mix based on my Bristol Avon barbel experiences.

Bfw i-power 12' (Harrison) blank. 2lb (Originally available as twin 1.75 and 2lb tips)

Evoke Barbel Twin (Guides and blanks) Barbel twin tip - one spliced in quiver tip and heavier 2lb tip

Used the Harrison Interceptor 1.75 12' for a few years and then Chimera 2 12' and Torrix 12' 1.75 and 2lb. My personal preference is Chimera 2.
Of the 11' Torrix 1.75 and 2.0 - slightly favoured the 2lb.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Bob

Hi Rob what budget do you have I have amint barbel seeker 11ft also has brand new quiver carrier and 3 tips.
Pm me image be persuaded to. sell at the right price? Peter

Hi Rob,
I'll add another couple of rods to the mix based on my Bristol Avon barbel experiences.

Bfw i-power 12' (Harrison) blank. 2lb (Originally available as twin 1.75 and 2lb tips)

Evoke Barbel Twin (Guides and blanks) Barbel twin tip - one spliced in quiver tip and heavier 2lb tip

Used the Harrison Interceptor 1.75 12' for a few years and then Chimera 2 12' and Torrix 12' 1.75 and 2lb. My personal preference is Chimera 2.
Of the 11' Torrix 1.75 and 2.0 - slightly favoured the 2lb.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Bob
Thanks Bob,
I remember I had one of the very first twin tip I powers years ago which was a carp style build with abbreviated duplon grips. I only ever used the 1.75lb tip which I found too soft. Sold it back to Claire F I’m sure?
you mentioned the Evoke to me recently, sounds interesting, is the 1.75 quiver section not too soft for Barbel?
I remember your old Interceptor review showing the BA in spring and then in full winter flood!
I’ve sent you a pm Bob, cheers

I have the 1.75 torrix, 11' with a spliced 4 Oz tip. Little that rod can't do imho. I do like my 12' too but the 11 is used most.

I have a harrison torrix 11ft 1.75 custom built and it's the dogs dooh-dahs! If your budget allows it you won't be disappointed. Mine was built by Roger at Peregrine rods. Treat yourself!

I have a harrison torrix 11ft 1.75 custom built and it's the dogs dooh-dahs! If your budget allows it you won't be disappointed. Mine was built by Roger at Peregrine rods. Treat yourself!
As we're mine. Got his Avon last year too. One day they will have to go but not for a while yet with any luck.

As Richard has said above, I'd caution against the 11' 1.75 Torrix unless you've tried one first, its not my favourite, in fact I'm probably alone in preferring the 12' 1.75 torrix, each to their own, they will all do the job.

I have the 12' Torrix 2.25 and as Rich states they are def more through action which understates the test curve in reality - tips are also a little stiffer which I prefer - great all rounders IMO and happy with leads / feeders from 1-5oz . . .also versatile and are light enough to use for tench bashing / floater fishing!

Back