• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

VERY Waterproof jacket

The outdoor gear my farming friends and clients buy tend to use is cheap and cheerful gear from farming supplies stores that can be chucked after a year. Zero point spending money on stuff that needs to go in the wash every week to remove the smell of livestock.

It fulfills a purpose and is cost-effective, but give me better quality stuff for non-farming outdoor activity any day of the week.

I would also add that farmers are significantly tougher and have higher tolerances to bad weather than most. It’s in the genes, and they get conditioned from an early age to getting up at 4.45am every morning to face the elements come rain or shine. As such their comfort thresholds for outdoor gear as probably a lot lower than for us mere mortals!
I work outside all year, my tolerances as I got older has definitely lessened. I use to be considered crazy staying out till 3am on a cold winters night fishing for Chub, but I enjoyed it as I was very warm!
Wearing the same kit now, I couldn't do it, just feel it a lot more as I get a little older @ 46🤣
I did wear the prologic mk4 winter sallopets and jacket with decent layers under me, but no good in the rain.

The best suit I had, was the old Sundridge igloo suit, but moving around was a nightmare as it was a heavy bit of kit. But boy was it watertight. 👍

I've worked outside on the powerlines for the last 30 odd years. We've had every type of waterproof going in that time, and one thing I can tell you about them all is, everyone of them has leaked at some point or another. Waxed cotton was the best, hard wearing for when we've had to climb through hedges, or over barb wire, but too bulky and warm. PU coated nylon, complete plastic waterproofs, lots of Gore Tex type waterproofs, including all in ones and as of now, this stuff.

They've all leaked.

I've never gone for the Gore Tex fishing clothing, I simply don't see the need for breathable clothing when we are just sitting fishing bankside. A good quality normal waterproof coat should be good enough if kept clean and treated with repellent regularly. I did own Gore Tex coats when hill walking, but found them to not be able to deal with perspiration that well, and found myself getting wet from the inside whilst wearing them.

I've worked outside on the powerlines for the last 30 odd years. We've had every type of waterproof going in that time, and one thing I can tell you about them all is, everyone of them has leaked at some point or another. Waxed cotton was the best, hard wearing for when we've had to climb through hedges, or over barb wire, but too bulky and warm. PU coated nylon, complete plastic waterproofs, lots of Gore Tex type waterproofs, including all in ones and as of now, this stuff.

They've all leaked.

I've never gone for the Gore Tex fishing clothing, I simply don't see the need for breathable clothing when we are just sitting fishing bankside. A good quality normal waterproof coat should be good enough if kept clean and treated with repellent regularly. I did own Gore Tex coats when hill walking, but found them to not be able to deal with perspiration that well, and found myself getting wet from the inside whilst wearing them.
Simon,

Sounds like quality gear that’s ideal for its stated purpose but I’m just not sure that Hi vis is the way to go for most people on the banks.

Dave

Simon,

Sounds like quality gear that’s ideal for its stated purpose but I’m just not sure that Hi vis is the way to go for most people on the banks.

Dave

Mine's a nice shade of Orange, Dave, just on the off chance we need to work on lines crossing a Railway line. As they're classed as PPE, we don't have to pay for the waterproofs. Good job, as I've torn my coat on some barb wire. It leaks at the shoulder though.

Simon,

Does that become Burnt Orange after an incident?!?!🤣🤣

Dave

Yes it would do, quite quickly, thankfully it doesn't happen very often. Although we do get the odd "tickle" now and again. ⚡⚡

LOL, keeps you on your toes.

So, following my New Year Resolution about "going light" when fishing in 2023, that obviously means no brolly!
I disagree about no brolly Paul. I always carry one of some description and a chair and rarely does my gear weigh more than 25lb. I'm an ectomorph and roam all day without feeling encumbered or weighed down - rucksack over both shoulders, quiver over right, and chair over left. It's miserable baiting up or sorting out terminal tackle on a cold and wet day without a brolly let alone that awful sensation of knowing you are going to get soggier and soggier.

I disagree about no brolly Paul. I always carry one of some description and a chair and rarely does my gear weigh more than 25lb. I'm an ectomorph and roam all day without feeling encumbered or weighed down - rucksack over both shoulders, quiver over right, and chair over left. It's miserable baiting up or sorting out terminal tackle on a cold and wet day without a brolly let alone that awful sensation of knowing you are going to get soggier and soggier.
Hi Edward,
I had to look up "ectomorph"! Never realised a post on waterproof jackets would be so educational. As my late father used to say "you're never too old to learn"! 😂

Hi Edward,
I had to look up "ectomorph"! Never realised a post on waterproof jackets would be so educational. As my late father used to say "you're never too old to learn"! 😂
Your Ole Dad was a wise man just like my Old Chap Paul. “Never too old to learn” was one of his many mantras that I try to live bye. I too had to look up ectomorph and can reveal I’m a lean endomorph 🤣🤣

So, following my New Year Resolution about "going light" when fishing in 2023, that obviously means no brolly!
Last time I got caught out in the rain (it is vicious in Norfolk!) I got drenched, despite wearing a "waterproof " coat.
So I did some research and discovered the hydrostatic ratings! Who knew? Not me! So my quest is on for a fishing jacket with a min 20,000mm. Matrix and Preston both make ones with 25k but (sorry) I don't like having huge logos plastered all over the arms and back of my clothing PLUS (bit weird like this) I prefer green or brown clothing for fishing.
Any recommendations please? I have looked through previous postings but no mention made of the hydrostatic ratings.
Thanks guys.
Hi-this is just my opinion! Goretex is superb, but effective if you wash regularly or proof the "wear" areas (shoulders) regulalry-where rucksacks remove the DWR, wash every 10 wears. I do a bit in the mountains-inc Scottish Winters, and will only wear my hardshell when its raining to avoid waer and tear. Goretex/Event are all delicate and lose their water resistance quickly when rubbing against anything. The stated hydrostatic head is for a brand new unworn jacket. Paramo come highly recommended by Mountain Rescue and Mountain Leaders/Guides (can't comment never tried). Led some people up Snowdon a few weeks ago in typical wet Welsh weather-they both had £45 (new) French Army Goretex shells camou's, which kept them dry, I had my Alpkit 4 season shell which I rate, I was wet in places but they were bone dry up top. Proves you don't have to spend £4-500. My Alpkit Definition jacket performs as well as ME/Arcteryx/Rab etc and is almost half the price-materail as good/better than GTX Pro (from my experience of using all). If not moving too much and generating heat/moisture through sweating-don't worry too much about Goretex its value is in its breathability. I was impressed how the French army gtx shells performed-if you google french army goretex jacket you'll find them easily. Just my opinion/experience!

Hi-this is just my opinion! Goretex is superb, but effective if you wash regularly or proof the "wear" areas (shoulders) regulalry-where rucksacks remove the DWR, wash every 10 wears. I do a bit in the mountains-inc Scottish Winters, and will only wear my hardshell when its raining to avoid waer and tear. Goretex/Event are all delicate and lose their water resistance quickly when rubbing against anything. The stated hydrostatic head is for a brand new unworn jacket. Paramo come highly recommended by Mountain Rescue and Mountain Leaders/Guides (can't comment never tried). Led some people up Snowdon a few weeks ago in typical wet Welsh weather-they both had £45 (new) French Army Goretex shells camou's, which kept them dry, I had my Alpkit 4 season shell which I rate, I was wet in places but they were bone dry up top. Proves you don't have to spend £4-500. My Alpkit Definition jacket performs as well as ME/Arcteryx/Rab etc and is almost half the price-materail as good/better than GTX Pro (from my experience of using all). If not moving too much and generating heat/moisture through sweating-don't worry too much about Goretex its value is in its breathability. I was impressed how the French army gtx shells performed-if you google french army goretex jacket you'll find them easily. Just my opinion/experience!
Good call to recommend Alpkit.

My brother alerted me to that brand. They do decent stuff at sensible prices and they have regular sales.

I rarely ever wear a coat when fishing (prefer a brolly) but I did wear my (8 yr old) ex-army gortex coat last week watching g'kids football for 90 mins, it was fine. Not worn a great deal but never washed.

Today however, it was lashing down and again watching footy, the coat leaked a bit at openings as would be expected but the fabric itself was great. The overtrousers not so good, the windward side leg was saturated and my trousers were definitely soggy.

So I just washed both in Nikwax, washed again with Nixwax proofer, spin dried and put in tumble drier (low heat) for 20 mins. It will be interesting to see if killed or cured :)

Picked up one of these today:

I’d fancied one for ages, but £275 was a bit pricey, anyway spotted it at half price so rude not to. As a clothing brand, Country Innovation is well respected in the birding/wildlife photography market. Check out the review video in the link and will be ideal to wear when fishing 👍🏻 The quality is really good 👍🏻

Swazi Tahir smock and over trousers . 10 years old now and never had an issue with ingress.
Bush wear are having a sale at present, not on Swazi stuff but some good bargains on other brands.

Back