• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

VERY Waterproof jacket

It does seem BFW is getting s bit too elitist, nothing wrong with having aspirations on owning good gear be it tackle or clothing. But we do seem to be obsessed with high end gear when all things considered you really don't need to spend a lot to fish.
Anyone new to the sport looking in here would likely feel inadequate and yet for under £200 any newcomer could be good to go, including barbel. Looking at just a few years back, with the Barbel close up videos the gear was good but not tarty. They managed OK.
Looking at the posts on here it's s mostly around gear what I enjoy are the stories the exploits the triumphs and the disasters, Howard where are you?😀

It does seem BFW is getting s bit too elitist, nothing wrong with having aspirations on owning good gear be it tackle or clothing. But we do seem to be obsessed with high end gear when all things considered you really don't need to spend a lot to fish.
Anyone new to the sport looking in here would likely feel inadequate and yet for under £200 any newcomer could be good to go, including barbel. Looking at just a few years back, with the Barbel close up videos the gear was good but not tarty. They managed OK.
Looking at the posts on here it's s mostly around gear what I enjoy are the stories the exploits the triumphs and the disasters, Howard where are you?😀
I love a bargain and use the oldest, cheapest gear I can find. Indeed I’m currently selling fancy gear and replacing it with old or used stuff. For no particular reason except that it doesn’t stop me catching fish.

When I carp fished I deliberately used average or old gear , orange line etc etc just to wind up the tackle tarts. I still caught more than most of them. A guy turned up with some new reels a couple of years ago and when he told me they cost £750 each I nearly fell over……that was more than my entire set up !

But I don’t like getting wet.

Ive tried buying cheapish military goretex gear 3 times (as recommended by various people) and all three times it’s been rubbish. So now I’ve got 2 goretex jackets that don’t leak. Both made for the mountaineering market and neither cost more than £130. One is 20 years old.

If somebody who does know tells us all where to source quality military goretex, that would be great. And I’ll take heed when my current stuff wears out.

I like a bargain, I also like nice, high quality stuff so it’s good to read about both and be able to search for it later when I’m looking to buy.

I also get a bit of a vicarious thrill from reading people talking about and getting nice gear. Sad, but true.

I get that Tim, nothing worse than being wet and cold, and the weather dictates if I should fish in the Winter. I live in the Cotswolds and really get the brunt of any bad weather, for walking the dogs I layer up and value good waterproofs. Perhaps the warmest and efficient coat is one I bought off ebay in a fire sale, it cost a ridiculous £5 and the nearest thing to it would be the Sunridge coat I guess. The camo coat was also ebay, it was bought some years ago, has a tuck in hood and a MOD logo. It doesn't have any pockets but zips to access under garments. It's huge😊
I got more fleeces and coats than Millets😐every Christmas and Birthday any one of my three lads will treat me to another.
Actually my moan was really directed at tackle, and it seems you have seen the light, besides its nice to catch on gear that doesn't cost a fortune. I have some expensive reels but bulk at using them over my old Shimmys.
£750 for a reel? 😔

I think it has been said on here before but a good starting point is to look at the stuff reservoir trout anglers wear. Remember they stay out on the water without being able to shelter under an umbrella.

I bought a jacket marketed by Airflo (a game angling brand) from the shop at Rutland Water which I have been very satisfied with. My only regret is not buying the matching trousers.
If you’re after the bib and brace just look on Airflo Website

You might want to get an umbrella for £50 and if sitting under it suits your fishing on the day it will be all you need - it's up to you!

Was fishing in a torrential downpour a few years ago, sat under my brolly, when the farmer turns up on his quad bike, with his waterproofs, quick chat and i finished up with jacket and trousers for around £60 from local farmers store, totally waterproof. Farmers are out in all weathers hence this is why i chose to follow and try out, happy with them

If you’re after the bib and brace just look on Airflo Website
and there in is the challenge
I took a recommendation from here on Airflo and got a jacket and trousers. Rationale was simple
" Game anglers don't hide under brollies & bivvies....sorted"
But mine were a huge disappointment and both let it after a couple of uses, but other lads swear by them?
Bought 2nd hand German flecktarn and used it for years , but despite re-proofing it leaks but great VFM.
Columbia Goretex - leaks, TNF Goretex leaks , Barbour Goretex - leaks
My winter fishing has changed a bit in the last few years and a lot of it is piking dawn til dusk on a water where I can't use a brolly or bivvy safely and there is zero cover so when it rains my clothing/ poncho pretty much determines if I stay or if I go. And with the rain comes wind and if it's an easterly it is brutal. People genuinely think we are simpletons sat there getting battered by the elements but so long as I'm dry I'm very happy.

So I was getting to the stage where I was baulking but seriously considering paying top-dollar for a jacket for life that I can use for fishing, dog walking, shooting etc..My missus bought me the Barbour coat for my 50th and it was way more than I would ever pay and it has been atrocious in every aspect, after a couple of uses the inside liner split and I got knocked back by customer service so it's been held together by duck tape for the last 5 years. So I wasn't convinced that paying more than I want would guarantee clothes that would just keep me dry.
It was the shooting lads who recommended Ridgeline and touch wood, chuffed to bits with it , so much so I bought one for ' best' and one that can get covered in winterized oils, fish slime and groundbait and I don't get too guilty.

I've tended to buy fishing clothing and shooting/beating clothing as totally separate things. However, after years of enduring heavyweight waxed cotton for shooting, which does at least stand up to being dragged through thorny/spikey stuff well, I coughed up for a little known shooting brand which tends to use plenty of Cordura fabrics. After being very impressed with the first of their coats, I've bought others when I've seen them for knock down prices. I have a nasty suspicion that the brand is struggling to break into its' market effectively. I'm expecting a smock, that I didn't really need, to arrive tomorrow. In the link it's at a much reduced £128, I've just paid £50 for one. I'll not be concerned about fishing in it at that price. Having spent three to four days (including today and the last time out on Saturday) this season beating in continuous rain, wearing Shooterking jackets, and staying dry, I'm pretty well sold on them. Full retail is not excessive by excessive shooting gear standards, but few seem to be selling at full price. With the big discounts that are out there if you are prepared to be patient and keep tabs on various outlets, you can pick up bargains.

I'd also echo the previous poster's suggestion of Ridgeline as being worthy of consideration. They have rapidly become very, very popular amongst the beating fraternity. However, the majority of their waterproof jackets have a peach fuzz finish that I'm not a fan of. They do have jackets with an outer layer that's more akin to a military gore-tex feel. However, that's the sole preserve of their far more pricey top end lines.

I can recommend the retailer that I've linked in the post rather highly, they do some decent deals and are good to buy from. www.bushwear.co.uk
www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk do some really good deals on end of line stuff, especially Browning clothing.
New Forest Clothing have had some excellent deals on Shooterking stuff, but they've largely been cleaned out now. Still the chance of a bargain if you are big or small.

IMAX two piece floatation suit,l although i have two , the much cheaper second hand buy off ebay is made from much better material and is great for additional underlayers if required and not to Michelin man style to move in , has with stood all the tidal / humber can throw , plus might just save your life as well .

I took a recommendation from here on Airflo and got a jacket and trousers. Rationale was simple
But mine were a huge disappointment and both let it after a couple of uses, but other lads swear by them?
Bought 2nd hand German flecktarn and used it for years , but despite re-proofing it leaks but great VFM.
My winter fishing has changed a bit in the last few years and a lot of it is piking dawn til dusk on a water where I can't use a brolly or bivvy safely and there is zero cover so when it rains my clothing/ poncho pretty much determines if I stay or if I go. And with the rain comes wind and if it's an easterly it is brutal. People genuinely think we are simpletons sat there getting battered by the elements but so long as I'm dry I'm very happy.

So I was getting to the stage where I was baulking but seriously considering paying top-dollar for a jacket for life that I can use for fishing, dog walking, shooting etc..My missus bought me the Barbour coat for my 50th and it was way more than I would ever pay and it has been atrocious in every aspect, after a couple of uses the inside liner split and I got knocked back by customer service so it's been held together by duck tape for the last 5 years. So I wasn't convinced that paying more than I want would guarantee clothes that would just keep me dry.
It was the shooting lads who recommended Ridgeline and touch wood, chuffed to bits with it , so much so I bought one for ' best' and one that can get covered in winterized oils, fish slime and groundbait and I don't get too guilty.
When you say Goretex leaks, have you actually done a test with a jacket fastened up over a pair of step ladders and sprayed it with a hosepipe? As you will no doubt be aware (some may not) once a jacket loses its repellency or the pores get blocked with dirt, the jacket is no longer breathable. So wetting out occurs where your perspiration can't escape and condenses on the inside, giving the impression of a leak. All new jackets are great until this happens. Reproofing helps as dies regular cleaning but it's never as good as when you first buy it.

I love a bargain and use the oldest, cheapest gear I can find. Indeed I’m currently selling fancy gear and replacing it with old or used stuff. For no particular reason except that it doesn’t stop me catching fish.

When I carp fished I deliberately used average or old gear , orange line etc etc just to wind up the tackle tarts. I still caught more than most of them. A guy turned up with some new reels a couple of years ago and when he told me they cost £750 each I nearly fell over……that was more than my entire set up !

But I don’t like getting wet.

Ive tried buying cheapish military goretex gear 3 times (as recommended by various people) and all three times it’s been rubbish. So now I’ve got 2 goretex jackets that don’t leak. Both made for the mountaineering market and neither cost more than £130. One is 20 years old.

If somebody who does know tells us all where to source quality military goretex, that would be great. And I’ll take heed when my current stuff wears out.

When you say Goretex leaks, have you actually done a test with a jacket fastened up over a pair of step ladders and sprayed it with a hosepipe? As you will no doubt be aware (some may not) once a jacket loses its repellency or the pores get blocked with dirt, the jacket is no longer breathable. So wetting out occurs where your perspiration can't escape and condenses on the inside, giving the impression of a leak. All new jackets are great until this happens. Reproofing helps as dies regular cleaning but it's never as good as when you first buy it.
I completely agree my 17 year old ex german army Gore-tex has NEVER EVER leaked and I have sat fishing and walked about metal detecting for up to 10 hours in constant rain

now that is a lot different to sitting in a punt if anyone was going to create condensation on the inside thru lack of breathability it would be me walking about and digging holes
and maybe I am a bit OTT with looking after it as I KNOW one of the only way you can strip away ruin the coating on Gore-Tex is by washing it with any type of product that contains detergent
and as you correctly say biggest enemy is DIRT it CAN make it leak
the dirt blocks the pores that stops the beading process that then leads to wetting out and soaking thru and of course it cant breath so condensation occurs doubling the problem
I really look after it only wash it in pure soap (good old Wilko) regularly and tumble dry occasionally I wash it in a combine wash and waterproofer look after Gore-Tex it WILL look after you IMHO

One other thing to bear in mind when you think you’ve sprung a leak, sometimes you haven’t and it’s your brain playing tricks.

If you’re out in the rain in winter, the outside waterproof layer gets wet and its temperature drops. If the inside of this layer touches your skin (or even through a thinnish thermal layer) you start to feel wet and think your waterproofs have failed, even though they haven’t. It’s due to the human body having no way of directly sensing wetness; the brain feels the temp and touch and puts 2 + 2 together to get 5.

Farmers clothing !
I’ve bought the following this winter after getting a good wetting back in the autumn! The Fort Airflex is unlined, looks and feels like my sons Vass, is waterproof (proven by me) and so far I’ve no complaints about it’s breathability. It’s made and marketed for the farming and veterinary types who know something about working in shite weather and as you’ll see it’s not badly priced. They do make bib ‘n’ brace as well but as it does not having a zipper I decided that access was needed so settled on the jacket and trousers.
The XS was bought for my Missus, I’ve got large size. 6ft tall 15 stone and I’ve room for a decent fleece underneath.

Since starting this thread it is clear to me that I failed to think "out of the box!" Over the years I have purchased clothing for fishing from tackle shops. If I had thought about the occupations that have to contend with the British weather all year round, I would have looked at clothing designed for farmers, gamekeepers, beaters etc etc
Lesson learnt!!!

The outdoor gear my farming friends and clients buy tend to use is cheap and cheerful gear from farming supplies stores that can be chucked after a year. Zero point spending money on stuff that needs to go in the wash every week to remove the smell of livestock.

It fulfills a purpose and is cost-effective, but give me better quality stuff for non-farming outdoor activity any day of the week.

I would also add that farmers are significantly tougher and have higher tolerances to bad weather than most. It’s in the genes, and they get conditioned from an early age to getting up at 4.45am every morning to face the elements come rain or shine. As such their comfort thresholds for outdoor gear as probably a lot lower than for us mere mortals!

Last edited:

Nearly 20 years ago the company I worked for had a deal with Barbour that meant we got given free barbour jackets, the top-of-the-range stuff. It was OK at best, I'd have been gutted if I'd paid the RRP price on it. It's just an overpriced fashion brand these days I think.

Have you thought about trying a “Poncho” .I use one when Rock fishing on the coast,they completely cover you including a hood , to about knee height, you arms are completeley free to cast , hold the rod, etc,. You can sit on the bank in them / on them, and be completeley out of the wind and rain, almost like being in a mini tent, no sweating as they let plenty of air in because they are loose fitting, you can wear as many or as few layers underneath as you need and they roll up quite small to carry about.
If its raining I carry my gear bag over my shoulder underneath my Poncho amd it stays dry.

Plenty available on “tinternet” and lots of different plain or camo colours.

David
Andy has them in the shop on this site under 'Wet Weather Gear'. I have a couple of them and they are great when you're moving around as , as David has already said, there is enough air circulation achieved to stop excessive sweating. As soon as the rain stops they can be taken off and packed away to almost nothing.

Back