• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

VERY Waterproof jacket

Kidding, right?
Is it such a strange suggestion?
I used to get all my waterproof gear from the tackle shop, but honestly, most of it is sub-standard rubbish really.
My Rab waterproof trousers were £400 and Haglofs Jacket was £450, but with what I paid previously I could have spent that 3 times over.
I enjoy walking the Lakes in the worst weather imaginable and it has never let me down!

I think it has been said on here before but a good starting point is to look at the stuff reservoir trout anglers wear. Remember they stay out on the water without being able to shelter under an umbrella.

I bought a jacket marketed by Airflo (a game angling brand) from the shop at Rutland Water which I have been very satisfied with. My only regret is not buying the matching trousers.

I have a coat Berghaus Gore tex 3 layer about £120 from memory 2 or 3 years old and had a fair amount of use.
Was great but now after about 1-2 hours of rain, it comes thro , shoulders first and I get wet !
Didnt think that was supposed to happen ?
Made in Vietnam , no reference to HH rating
Nice comfortable coat,, just dont work very well in the rain.
Tell me have you washed it ???
dirt blocks the pores of any waterproof breathable material this will then lead to loss of beading and wet out and leak

but ! washing it with any form of detergent destroys the waterproof coating too

EDIT
I have a set of 17 year old Gore-Tex waterproofs that I wash every year with pure soap I have used a washing waterproofer once or twice and a recently Grangers performance Repel plus spray

I have Metal detected walking 8 hours in the rain and fished here and in Europe and never got clammy inside and never got wet any breathable waterproof material needs to be looked after and kept clean

https://grangers.co.uk/products/performance-repel-plus

Last edited:
Ridgeline Monsoon jacket or smock for being waterprooof. Tested mine out plenty over the last couple of weeks on a venue where I can't use a brolly or day shelter and I mean 8 hours of driving rain and never let a drop in.
Farmers, gamekeepers, beaters always wear them which says a lot. Not that expensive compared to a lot of field jackets but very well made and does what is says on the tin.
Digressing but the pro-logic bib & brace also help up remarkably well too. Impressed.

I think the number of replies with suggestions here indicate how many different brands claim to be waterproof , not all costing an arm and a leg, and tbh in my own experience at least, cost is not always an indication of quality .The many different suggestions indicate how many garments there are available , and how much people are willing to pay
I would personally not believe any manufacturers claims and rely more upon actual users recomendations which is what we are getting.
I do a lot of sea angling and have spent many hours stood in rain and salt spray . On the beach with a strong onshore wind you can get as wet and cold as anywhere . If not using my poncho I have a “ Titan” brand smock , it is roughly 18 years old, maybe more , and was advertised as Gortex, it gets covered in fish guts, bait, slime, mud etc and every so oft gets washed and reproofed. It has kept me warm and dry for many years I suspect that any Gortex it had is long past its best but the retreatment of Fabsil or similar keeps its waterproof qualities at 100% . The modern Titan clothing is rated by a lot of anglers as not being as good as the originals which is what mine is .
I am now of an age where if it is really sheeting down I will wait for a break in the weather . My Roof tiles are more waterproof than the very best clothing 😋.

David

Is it such a strange suggestion?
I used to get all my waterproof gear from the tackle shop, but honestly, most of it is sub-standard rubbish really.
My Rab waterproof trousers were £400 and Haglofs Jacket was £450, but with what I paid previously I could have spent that 3 times over.
I enjoy walking the Lakes in the worst weather imaginable and it has never let me down!
Goretex Pro is solid - reasonable breathability and solid wind / waterproof performance as well as being hardwearing. I have an Arcteryx Goretex Pro jacket and trousers I use exclusively for skiiing and have handled hooligan storms in the alps with zero issues; expensive shells but worth it and they last so much longer than anything else. Most of my fishing is under a brolly so the Korda Drycore kit works well enough however like all tech fabrics and especially when fishing (covering with mud slime and glug) regular washing in tech wash is a necessity!

Another vote for Goretex -pro. I picked up a new Haglofs jacket very cheap a year or so ago and it seems bulletproof.

For normal fishing I’m still using a very old goretex jacket (Tog 24 brand) that just keeps on going. I reproof it now and again and it still doesn’t leak. The Hglofs was bought as a replacement- but currently only gets used on special occasions !

I remember forking out £84 in 1983 for my first goretex jacket to replace woeful waxed cotton. The goretex was as thick as cardboard but it kept the rain out - I’d just moved to Scotland and was fishing wild places like Loch Lomond.

Ive owned various other jackets/over trousers/salopettes over the years including some lighter weight goretex (some military issue) all they all have failed miserably.

I know there are a lot of Vass fans on here, so just thought i,d give you a heads up on this, ideal for keeping in your kit when travelling light, for that unexpected and unpredicted downpour.

Anything with Goretex Pro will be superb
I have a Simms wading jacket that’s made of Goretex Pro and I’ve been out in literally monsoon conditions for hours and took it off at the the end of the day perfectly dry .
Like most things you’ll get what you pay for .

Anything with Goretex Pro will be superb
I have a Simms wading jacket that’s made of Goretex Pro and I’ve been out in literally monsoon conditions for hours and took it off at the the end of the day perfectly dry .
Like most things you’ll get what you pay for .
I agree with your comment "you get what you pay for", but looking at the Simms G4 Jacket at £649 I can't help thinking that was about my ANNUAL salary as a bank clerk in the 1960's!!! Ouch

I agree with your comment "you get what you pay for", but looking at the Simms G4 Jacket at £649 I can't help thinking that was about my ANNUAL salary as a bank clerk in the 1960's!!! Ouch
Lol 😂
yes they are very pricy , I bought mine when we lived in Canada around 8 years ago , it was in the Boxing Day sale and still twice the price of anything else on the shelf .
I wasn’t necessarily recommending Simms but the Goretex Pro bit .
if you want to make me an offer on the jacket I’ll do you mates rates and let it go for £500 😉🤣

Simms stuff is usually good - a couple of my mates get it free as they are sponsored by Simms…..so I hear first hand. But some of their waders still leak (just like everybody else’s !).

I refuse to buy anything Simms because I think their pricing is ridiculous. I mentioned a Haglofs jacket (G Pro) earlier - they retail for £400. I was lucky and found mine for less than half that.

I have both the 350 and 175 vass smock and bib, the 175 set is lighter weight and breathable but not quite as impervious as the 350 which has never let a drop of water in. If I’m going to be doing a fair bit of walking I go for the 175 for just being fairly static the 350 takes some beating I think I got all four items for around £360 so very good value as well.

The main problem with all waterproof jackets is the taped seams. It doesn’t matter if it’s high quality gortex or some other material. When you walk to your swim, wearing said jacket and carrying heavy gear via shoulder straps, it’s constantly putting strain on the seams and they will eventually fail.

My other passion is birding and I have the same issue carrying my tripod and telescope on a mule pack. My last two gortex berghaus jackets have both failed on the shoulder/neck seams.

For fishing I now buy army surplus DMP camo gortex jackets, my current jacket cost £35, I reproofed it with Nikwax and it keeps me dry. Had it 3 years and I wash it annually with tech wash. The previous similar jacket lasted for 6+ years.

The main problem with all waterproof jackets is the taped seams. It doesn’t matter if it’s high quality gortex or some other material. When you walk to your swim, wearing said jacket and carrying heavy gear via shoulder straps, it’s constantly putting strain on the seams and they will eventually fail.

My other passion is birding and I have the same issue carrying my tripod and telescope on a mule pack. My last two gortex berghaus jackets have both failed on the shoulder/neck seams.

For fishing I now buy army surplus DMP camo gortex jackets, my current jacket cost £35, I reproofed it with Nikwax and it keeps me dry. Had it 3 years and I wash it annually with tech wash. The previous similar jacket lasted for 6+ years.
100% after all we are only scruffy bank tramps, not quite shooting party at Balmoral.😀 I dug out an old camo military goretex type at the weekend had it years and still does the job, cost me about £30 and is totally bomb proof and still water proof.

I replaced my old Falklands army surplus jacket last year with a French army camo goretex under £50 (brand new) and it's absolutely superb.
I completely agree
my German army heavy duty Flecktarn Gore-tex jacket and trousers are 100% waterproof and very breathable they have never ripped pushing thru bushes etc I just cannot see the point in spending the shocking prices some pay for clothing I have bought cars costing less 😂 😂 😂

Back