• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

VERY Waterproof jacket

Paul Bullinger

Senior Member & Supporter
So, following my New Year Resolution about "going light" when fishing in 2023, that obviously means no brolly!
Last time I got caught out in the rain (it is vicious in Norfolk!) I got drenched, despite wearing a "waterproof " coat.
So I did some research and discovered the hydrostatic ratings! Who knew? Not me! So my quest is on for a fishing jacket with a min 20,000mm. Matrix and Preston both make ones with 25k but (sorry) I don't like having huge logos plastered all over the arms and back of my clothing PLUS (bit weird like this) I prefer green or brown clothing for fishing.
Any recommendations please? I have looked through previous postings but no mention made of the hydrostatic ratings.
Thanks guys.

If you want a waterproof jacket that also provides some warmth then look no further than the Snugpak Torrent jacket. Bought one last March and I'm seriously impressed. I've worn it through the winter and it hasn't let me down.

Very well made, you can get them for around £135 if you shop around. It would be good value at twice that price.

You can also get an 'extreme version.

So, following my New Year Resolution about "going light" when fishing in 2023, that obviously means no brolly!
Last time I got caught out in the rain (it is vicious in Norfolk!) I got drenched, despite wearing a "waterproof " coat.
So I did some research and discovered the hydrostatic ratings! Who knew? Not me! So my quest is on for a fishing jacket with a min 20,000mm. Matrix and Preston both make ones with 25k but (sorry) I don't like having huge logos plastered all over the arms and back of my clothing PLUS (bit weird like this) I prefer green or brown clothing for fishing.
Any recommendations please? I have looked through previous postings but no mention made of the hydrostatic ratings.
Thanks guys.
Only prob with the Vass gear is its not that breathable so fine if sitting in a deluge but no good on a yomp as you'll get sweaty and wet from the inside. If you want the best of the best Goretex Pro is usually rated at 28k but is expensive - personally I wouldn't bother with anything less than 3 layer Goretex if 'sitting out in it' as the 2L / 2.5L variants can and eventually do 'wet out' however for general bivvy / brolly angling the lower levels of Goretex / similar fabrics are fine

If I won the lottery tomorrow I would be donning myself in this -

and these -

A snip at £1140 RRP for the set! Go on - treat yourself - you know you want to!

Last edited:
I've got a Goretex double hooped bivvy and a British army bivvy bag.
They feel a heavier weight,so I take it they are both 3 layer.

I’ve got the Hoggs of Fythe Struther smock and trousers . Lightweight so you can keep them in your bag. Can layer up underneath them too. Impressed with them so far .

Try having a look at sailing oilskins (a traditional term I guess). You can get salopettes and a separate jacket if you want, would be breathable and have goretex/technical ratings, expensive but absolutely designed to keep water out whilst being active. Colour might be a problem though, black is an option though I think. As for brands, look at Helly Hansen, Musto, Henri Lloyd.

These days a Pac A Mac kinda thingie does me, just don't run about too much with one on 🥵
If it's actually 100% "waterproof" then even the best of the "breathables" will result in some sweat under exertion. It's always a compromise IME.
(and thinking otherwise can be an costly belief, I reckon 😂)

I’d be chucking a golf brolley or similar in as well… I have one of the Fortis ones…for the worst of the worst however waterproof my jacket is to be fair

10,000mm is the defining HH for a garment being waterproof anything less is just water resistant.
Anything in Goretex Pro from Haglofs or Arcteryx and you won't be worrying about it again.
Tried and tested in the Lakes regularly and on the riverbank and it amazes every time really. The Haglofs jacket I have is about 7-8 yrs old I would imagine.

Have you thought about trying a “Poncho” .I use one when Rock fishing on the coast,they completely cover you including a hood , to about knee height, you arms are completeley free to cast , hold the rod, etc,. You can sit on the bank in them / on them, and be completeley out of the wind and rain, almost like being in a mini tent, no sweating as they let plenty of air in because they are loose fitting, you can wear as many or as few layers underneath as you need and they roll up quite small to carry about.
If its raining I carry my gear bag over my shoulder underneath my Poncho amd it stays dry.

Plenty available on “tinternet” and lots of different plain or camo colours.

David

Have a look at Fortis clothing, they supply many military/police units including the SAS,...waterproof ripproof and very warm. I would recommend the Falklands fixed coat or Smock,

I have a coat Berghaus Gore tex 3 layer about £120 from memory 2 or 3 years old and had a fair amount of use.
Was great but now after about 1-2 hours of rain, it comes thro , shoulders first and I get wet !
Didnt think that was supposed to happen ?
Made in Vietnam , no reference to HH rating
Nice comfortable coat,, just dont work very well in the rain.

Have you thought about trying a “Poncho” .I use one when Rock fishing on the coast,they completely cover you including a hood , to about knee height, you arms are completeley free to cast , hold the rod, etc,. You can sit on the bank in them / on them, and be completeley out of the wind and rain, almost like being in a mini tent, no sweating as they let plenty of air in because they are loose fitting, you can wear as many or as few layers underneath as you need and they roll up quite small to carry about.
If its raining I carry my gear bag over my shoulder underneath my Poncho amd it stays dry.

Plenty available on “tinternet” and lots of different plain or camo colours.

David
Also available from the BFW shop, and cheap as chips. Does exactly what is says on the tin 😁
👍

Out of stock at the moment, but i,m certain Andy could get more if you wanted one. He,s not a bad lad. ;)

Only prob with the Vass gear is its not that breathable so fine if sitting in a deluge but no good on a yomp as you'll get sweaty and wet from the inside. If you want the best of the best Goretex Pro is usually rated at 28k but is expensive - personally I wouldn't bother with anything less than 3 layer Goretex if 'sitting out in it' as the 2L / 2.5L variants can and eventually do 'wet out' however for general bivvy / brolly angling the lower levels of Goretex / similar fabrics are fine

If I won the lottery tomorrow I would be donning myself in this -

and these -

A snip at £1140 RRP for the set! Go on - treat yourself - you know you want to!
Kidding, right?

Back