• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Vehicle of choice

I've got a 8 year old range rover, never gets stuck in the mud. I can fit the entire contents of my house in it and it will pull my boat effortlessly down to the south coast whilst averaging over 30mpg.

The only downside is it's on nearly 100k now and is bound to start costing me a fortune to keep....

I've got a 8 year old range rover, never gets stuck in the mud. I can fit the entire contents of my house in it and it will pull my boat effortlessly down to the south coast whilst averaging over 30mpg.

The only downside is it's on nearly 100k now and is bound to start costing me a fortune to keep....
Don't worry Chris the all new electric range rover will be available shortly, I would start saving now.

My petrol CRV has done 175K 😱
Just had the clutch done, first major job.
My luck will run out soon....

Steve

Dacia Duster , I think myself as fishing vehicle it would be ok .I have no problems with them at all .
I would buy one, but my wife calls them a Dacia Mop n Bucket . Said If I got one and parked it next to the Volvo she would ram it off the road .
She is a car snob ., and I tell her so as well 🤣🤣.
TBH we have had 3 Volvos now and they are always very reliable, roomy and importantly you feel very safe in them .

David
My wife's the opposite. When I was about to order a Merc C220 estate AMG some years ago (my third Merc). She questioned if it was a practical choice (being a motorway suited vehicle with rear wheel drive). She was correct. I've had two Dacia Dusters since. I can't really fault them.

Not run flats, although I had those on a 120D. Never again!!
I had a 320d with run flats and the ride would remove fillings it was that brutal. Same issues with just a powdering of snow and RWD but.. some decent snow tyres made a huge difference. So often overlooked.

My fishing/every day vehicle was a Vauxhall Astra Estate for many years but replaced it with a low mileage 15 month old Yeti 7 years ago and have loved every day using it. Cannot understand why Skoda discontinued it and replaced it with the Karoq, a complete non-entity that looks just like any other SUV in the class.
Plenty of life in my Yeti for a good while yet, if I was to replace it now I'd probably opt for the XC60.

My fishing/every day vehicle was a Vauxhall Astra Estate for many years but replaced it with a low mileage 15 month old Yeti 7 years ago and have loved every day using it. Cannot understand why Skoda discontinued it and replaced it with the Karoq, a complete non-entity that looks just like any other SUV in the class.
Plenty of life in my Yeti for a good while yet, if I was to replace it now I'd probably opt for the XC60.
My guess, production costs. The Yeti was so different from other models in the VAG range that its production cost was probably a bit high. The Karoq shares its chassis with the VW T Roc and Seat Atec. The reason all the cars look the same these days, is most of them are!

My fishing/every day vehicle was a Vauxhall Astra Estate for many years but replaced it with a low mileage 15 month old Yeti 7 years ago and have loved every day using it. Cannot understand why Skoda discontinued it and replaced it with theKaroq, a complete non-entity that looks just like any other SUV in the class.

What model is it Steve?
Fuel consumption any good?

My guess, production costs. The Yeti was so different from other models in the VAG range that its production cost was probably a bit high. The Karoq shares its chassis with the VW T Roc and Seat Atec. The reason all the cars look the same these days, is most of them are!
You're probably right, the Yeti originally was based on the early Tiguan and shared engines and running gear with the Golf. The greatest thing about it is that still handles well even with the boxy SUV body, also it has character, not something you could accuse the Karoq of!

Steve I have a 14 plate Yeti 1.2 TSI as a fishing vehicle and general all purpose runaround to the tip, several family house moves ,furniture everything really, with the rear seats out it is like a van.Its on65k miles of which I have done 10k in the last 2 and a half years.Its front wheel drive and has been super reliable not had a single problem with it.Ipicked the petrol tsi as I would not be doing a lot of miles it is quite nippy and has plenty of storage space etc. I can’t fault it.

There's nothing better than loading your Barbel gear in to a completely inappropriate vehicle 🙂

20230907_195157.jpg

Thinking about a Yeti.
Which models are worth looking at as a crossover fishing/family vehicle?
Cheers,

Steve
Hi Steve. Cars are as emotive as fishing to us guys, I'm finding out after my original post!! 😂
I have a 66 plate Lauren & Klement Yeti 4x4 manual petrol. Lots of extras, including leather trim, panoramic roof etc. I fitted it with Goodyear All Season tyres and it's a "go anywhere" vehicle. BUT (there's always a but!) it's approaching 55,000 miles (not a lot for a Yeti) and as I buy cars (don't like PCP or HP) each year its value deteriorates and therefore so does my bargaining power to chop it in for a newer vehicle. Basically I either keep it and run it into the ground or chop it in whilst it still has value.
Hence my problem. Stick ot twist??? 🤔
To answer your specific question I would go for any of the later models, the last plate year is a 67 I believe and use the Skoda Approved Used website to track one down.

Hi Paul,
my view is that ‘modern’ cars will do high miles if properly maintained. My own car is an highly fishing inappropriate Audi A5 3.0 tdi Sportback ( very low chassis). If I need something ‘ indestructible’ then I ‘borrow’ her indoors old Honda Jazz.😂👍
G.T.

Back