• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Vehicle of choice

I've got a Mondeo estate, it's a dull as dishwater, but it's got plenty of room and i wouldn't mind a newer one.
Had an A4 quattro before, fine, but not enough space - also the four wheel drive makes little odds on mud if you haven't got suitable tyres.
I'd be looking at the Volvo XC estates or an Audi Allroad if I needed something new.
Hi Jon,
If you go for the Audi option then I can vouch for the 3.0 tdi engine, reliable, fast and velvet smooth in automatic.
G.T.

I think the VW Tiguan is a similar size as your Yetie. Lots of those about, manual, auto, petrol, diesel, 4x4's and numerous stats to suite your fancy.
I have the Tiguan - love it but the rear space with the back seats down isn't great. Just get the rods etc in diagonally

I have the Tiguan - love it but the rear space with the back seats down isn't great. Just get the rods etc in diagonally
Hi men

In all my cars for the trips to France I remove the rear seats completely, normally just a few bolts , in some cars they ready to go like the Skoda's . The ix35 iv just given to my daughter it was really easy a they were lightweight , and I will give it a go on the Tiguan 👍 , nice to drive in auto , and getting 45ish mpg .

Hatter .

Mitsubishi L200. Agricultural but plenty of power and 35 mpg , it goes anywhere i fish on the Wye and Trent and with M+S tyres + low range 4x4 will have to do something really silly to get it stuck. I’ve had 2 now and with a sport top on the back carries everything for a long stay session including 12 ft 2 piece rods with room to spare Reasonable prices too

My SAAB estate took some beating, sadly it was vandalised twice whilst fishing and I gave up on it. Some right weapons that are stealing oxygen.
The amount of rough tracks on the BAA card you might be better off with a tank, but have heard good things about the Dacia...is car snobbery a thing anymore? In fact the more ordinary a car the greater the Kudos it seems.

Have got the new model Q5. Its fine, my 4th Audi.

It's OK as a 4x4 quattro but surprisingly not as good as the A4 perm Quattro on wet mud. Probably the weight.
Soft hybrid 2 litre diesel with 204 bhp, plenty enough, rarely use sport. 39 av mpg.

Lots diff driving modes, incl off road and
hill descent. Pretty good with space, seats folded down.

CS pack that included 360 camera. Very useful on dodgy tree lined tracks in the dark as are the Matrix led lights.

The Volvos have very good reviews, just found the cab so ugly.

My SAAB estate took some beating, sadly it was vandalised twice whilst fishing and I gave up on it. Some right weapons that are stealing oxygen.
The amount of rough tracks on the BAA card you might be better off with a tank, but have heard good things about the Dacia...is car snobbery a thing anymore? In fact the more ordinary a car the greater the Kudos it seems.
Hi men

Travelling through France 4 times this year , and France is full of Dusters , and a local French lad I spoke to loved it 👍

Hatter

Never spent more that 2k on a car so have had all sorts of heaps in the past but most have been reliable and could accommodate fishing gear with the back seats down . I have a van [ Toyota Hiace SWB] ultra reliable but useless for fishing as rear wheel drive and gets stuck on a wet dock leaf ! My current car / fishing vehicle is an ancient MK2 Honda CRV diesel ,[£500 quid off e bay, needed new clutch and timing chain so just came in under 2k spending limit ] .Honda has part time 4wd which kicks in when the front wheels slip / spin , works a treat , never got stuck yet , indeed last winter I pulled out a chap in a proper 4x4 who had got stuck in his very butch Ford Ranger. I fitted the Honda with all terrain tyres, bit noisy on the road but great on muddy tracks 40mpg if you dont boot it , very reliable , even comes with a picnic table as standard !

Last edited:
Is anyone driving a hybrid? Not sure a full electric could work for me, but like the idea of a hybrid.
Hi Joe
Yes - an Evoque.i have the PHEV but tbh rarely charge it but it is relatively tax efficient as a company car and I can fill it with petrol
The build quality isn’t great for what they cost and they’re not that economical. My colleague has one less than 3 years old and
it’s had a new engine and is in dock at the moment as it needs a new lithium battery, which if wasn’t covered on warranty would be £10k!!!😳
I have a Tesla too ( tax) and use it a lot for fishing but never go too far in it. Never used a supercharger but for 100m radius it’s Ok but I could never have it is our only car. We are so far from having an efficient EV infrastructure, I do wonder how it will play out?
I had an Outlander PHEV which was a much better fishing wagon and no issues for 7 years. Would get 2 persons gear in it for a week away on the Wye , capable off road and reliable.
Wherever I can I use a merc diesel swb van - perfect for fishing , comfortable to drive and with winter tyres as capable as any 4X4 I’ve owned apart from a 3.1 LWB Isuzu Trooper which was the dogs.
My daughter has a Kia Sportage and it’s awesome. I think it would make a brilliant fishing vehicle as well as everyday bus and 7 year warranty.what’s not to like?

Never spent more that 2k on a car so have had all sorts of heaps in the past but most have been reliable and could accommodate fishing gear with the back seats down . I have a van [ Toyota Hiace SWB] ultra reliable but useless for fishing as rear wheel drive and gets stuck on a wet dock leaf ! My current car / fishing vehicle is an ancient MK2 Honda CRV diesel ,[£500 quid off e bay, needed new clutch and timing chain so just came in under 2k spending limit ] .Honda has part time 4wd which kicks in when the front wheels slip / spin , works a treat , never got stuck yet , indeed last winter I pulled out a chap in a proper 4x4 who had got stuck in his very butch Ford Ranger. I fitted the Honda with all terrain tyres, bit noisy on the road but great on muddy tracks 40mpg if you dont boot it , very reliable , even comes with a picnic table as standard !
I like you...(in a blokey sort of way mind)😉.

I have a plug In hybrid Land Rover discovery sport and it’s blinding 30 miles to a charge so nusury runs are cheap as does every thing I need for family and fishing got packing it to fine art as well 🤣 barrow straight in boot with handles off. The plug in hybrids are only good if you can get cheap charging at home which I can. It’s done 35 quid in electric and two tanks of fuel in 1800 miles.

It replaced a 19 plate model fuel diesel what was not great on mpg but ok, and it was a old faithful

Land rovers are having Massive insurance and de value issues atm it will pass but used market for landy is buyers atm

If you live inside m25 like me insurance is a nightmare though

Hi Joe
Yes - an Evoque.i have the PHEV but tbh rarely charge it but it is relatively tax efficient as a company car and I can fill it with petrol
The build quality isn’t great for what they cost and they’re not that economical. My colleague has one less than 3 years old and
it’s had a new engine and is in dock at the moment as it needs a new lithium battery, which if wasn’t covered on warranty would be £10k!!!😳
I have a Tesla too ( tax) and use it a lot for fishing but never go too far in it. Never used a supercharger but for 100m radius it’s Ok but I could never have it is our only car. We are so far from having an efficient EV infrastructure, I do wonder how it will play out?
I had an Outlander PHEV which was a much better fishing wagon and no issues for 7 years. Would get 2 persons gear in it for a week away on the Wye , capable off road and reliable.
Wherever I can I use a merc diesel swb van - perfect for fishing , comfortable to drive and with winter tyres as capable as any 4X4 I’ve owned apart from a 3.1 LWB Isuzu Trooper which was the dogs.
My daughter has a Kia Sportage and it’s awesome. I think it would make a brilliant fishing vehicle as well as everyday bus and 7 year warranty.what’s not to like?
Cheers Paul,

On paper the Discovery Sport looks perfect, but just nervous about reliability. A good friend who runs a garage say sees a lot of LRJ vehicles.

Tesla - good reviews, just not sure I could bring myself to put any of my hard earned in Musk's pockets! :)

A Pal drove us down to Hamps for a fishing trip back in Oct in his Outlander PHEV and it was very comfortable, and fitted all our gear effortlessly.

Iv add my skoda yeti for the last 4 years so went to trade for a new skoda about the same size..manager was very helpful and told me not to buy a newer models and to just buy a newer 2nd hand yeti and he said there bomb prof ..that was from a min skoda dealer..

Hi men

Funny this came up as my insurance renewal came through today with a £300 hike 😲. Strait on the app on my phone , at the renewal page was a button about being unhappy with price . I pressed said button and it asked for a company and it's quote which I'd already searched , and it matched it in a millisecond 😡😡😡 , so why take a chance of loosing a long term customer 🙄.

Hatter

Cheers Paul,

On paper the Discovery Sport looks perfect, but just nervous about reliability. A good friend who runs a garage say sees a lot of LRJ vehicles.

Tesla - good reviews, just not sure I could bring myself to put any of my hard earned in Musk's pockets! :)

A Pal drove us down to Hamps for a fishing trip back in Oct in his Outlander PHEV and it was very comfortable, and fitted all our gear effortlessly.
Not sure if it's true but told Land Rovers need the engine out to do the timing belt.
And after 3 years lose 50pc of value.

Hi men

Funny this came up as my insurance renewal came through today with a £300 hike 😲. Strait on the app on my phone , at the renewal page was a button about being unhappy with price . I pressed said button and it asked for a company and it's quote which I'd already searched , and it matched it in a millisecond 😡😡😡 , so why take a chance of loosing a long term customer 🙄.

Hatter
Just waiting for my renewal quote Hatter, but interestingly my online search came up with same company at same price as last year.

Just waiting for the letter/msg

Literally every vid I see regarding long term ownership of a new disco or defender mentions reliability being an issue.
I used to have a BMW 335d touring and it was one of the most practical motors I've ever had. 60mpg if needed, 4.9 to 60 load lugger! It would go anywhere and do anything!
20210108_105832.jpg

Literally every vid I see regarding long term ownership of a new disco or defender mentions reliability being an issue.
I used to have a BMW 335d touring and it was one of the most practical motors I've ever had. 60mpg if needed, 4.9 to 60 load lugger! It would go anywhere and do anything!View attachment 27619
I had a 320d and it never had any reliability issues and it was economical. Not the best for country lanes I found, crashing over pot holes etc with the hard suspension. Nice to drive otherwise. Although the rear wheel drive struggled to get up a few hills in snow!

That's social media for you. Full of people with an axe to grind and nothing better to do with their lives. Satisfied owners tend not make You Tube videos.

From my own experience of Discovery's and Range Rovers, I've never had any reliability issues (or minor niggles). Perhaps I should make a video. ;)

Not sure if it's true but told Land Rovers need the engine out to do the timing belt. And after 3 years lose 50pc of value.

Plenty of vehicles need the engine out to change a cam belt or chain(s), but not all Land Rovers. My RR has two chains, which are designed to last as long as the engine/vehicle.

Most vehicles depreciate by 15-35% in year one and 50% over three years. I bought mine used and found that diesel Land Rovers (and RRs) depreciate slowly, after the initial hit, and seem to maintain their value even with high mileages. Although I did buy during lockdown when used prices rocketed.

What surprises me is that the introduction of EVs and (perhaps more surprising) the price of diesel vs petrol doesn't seem to have impacted higher value diesel vehicles. My view is that I'll carry on with diesel 4WD (ULEZ compliant, of course!) until I'm forced into buying electric.

Back