• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Vehicle of choice

Don't laugh. But may I suggest the Dacia Duster. I'm on my second model. I've owned the Audi's and Mercs in the past. But the Duster is by far the most practical. I own the front wheel drive model. Its great off road and I kept it uncovered in the Austrian Alps for the whole of the winter 22/23. Didn't miss a beat in extreme sub zero temperatures. Great in the snow, flooded roads, mud and is reliable. I would say 4 wheel drive is even better and doesn't break the bank.
I had a Duster for 2 weeks as a courtesy car…was very impressed with it.

I’ve been very impressed with Subaru. My Lexus is great and handles launching and recovering my boat as well as mild off road, a superb everyday car. I be had Landrover but running costs and reliability put me off somewhat. The Subaru ticks all the boxes except fuel economy as I do about 25000 miles a year. I think I will just have to accept that though for better off road performance.
Which model Lexus Andy?

I fancy a Nissan Xtrail but cant afford one at the moment so my old Focus hatchback has to haul the load but I've never been short of space but not much ground clearance ..
I have an xtrail t31 turbo diesel not the new model go anywhere on the banks however muddy. Got some proper tyres on it though. And average of 36mpg good on fuel too.

I've got a Skoda Kodiaq, which has vast amounts of space in it with the seats down, and so far, I've been impressed with it. I think you really need proper winter tyres on for the 4x4 system to be effective though. It's pretty much the same as the Tiguan, but a little bigger,
I think the 5-seater has slightly more boot space than the XC90 with the seats down.

Pretty impressive.

Yes , 550 miles motorway driving , all on a £35 quid tank at current prices . 22 plate Vitara. Not quite the Mazda 6 estate I had before but infinitely more affordable.

I'm happy with my old Forester, but it's small compared to the Volvos. You could go all out & get an Isuzu pickup with a hardtop. I know they are diesel but you don't need roads any more & can just drive to the river in a straight line!

Just get a transporter and take what you like if you want 4x4 then the 4 motion ticks that box

few poor cars out there today, you pays your money and takes your pick, personally I'm a Landrover fan, currently have my first Volvo just for a change, cant fault it but its not really my cup of tea so will be going back to LR sometime soon !

I've got a Mondeo estate, it's a dull as dishwater, but it's got plenty of room and i wouldn't mind a newer one.
Had an A4 quattro before, fine, but not enough space - also the four wheel drive makes little odds on mud if you haven't got suitable tyres.
I'd be looking at the Volvo XC estates or an Audi Allroad if I needed something new.

Buy a car that's ULEZ compliant, like my 'semi-skimmed' 45mpg Range Rover. Otherwise, the way things are heading, you'll be barred from every city centre within a few years. That might not be a everyday issue, but it might in an emergency.

Some great information following my original post. Thank you all. I'm erring towards a Volvo if I'm honest. My days of ďriving vast distances are over. I tend to just drive within the county so mpg not a massive issue. As for hybrid technology I am clueless. My wife has a Suzuki with a "hybrid" badge on the back. Its got a petrol engine and is like any other "normal" car! No idea what the hybrid means 🤔

Still some good second hand yetis around bought another one with 47000 on the clock and totally removable seats 4x4 and the older shape with the round spot lights , they should bring them back as they have become a much sort after second hand buy .

Back