• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Vehicle of choice

Paul Bullinger

Senior Member & Supporter
I am a Skoda Yeti fan. On my 3rd one. Its a L&K 4x4 manual petrol version. Goes anywhere. The amount of fishing gear I can cram into it with rear seats down, is unbelievable. But, like so many things in life, it's now discontinued and the replacement is a bland run-of-the-mill SUV. The mileage is creeping up so I am looking to replace it.
My question is this. Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement. MUST have good ground clearance and 4x4 capabilities. Prefer not to have diesel. Automatic box OK. I realise that in my price bracket (max £20k) I can't afford new so a decent used would fit the bill.
Thanks

Never owned one yet but quite possibly my next car will be a Subaru (currently got a Lexus), they would seem to fit your description of what you want.

I used to have an Impreza, crap for fishing, but what a car to drive.

Anyway. We're on our second Volvo XC90. May be a little on the large side but they do a XC60. I get everything for a three day session in ours.

I have the XC 60,on a 19 plate, its a diesel,and auto but boy will it do the miles to the tank, this year beating all records did 800 between fills. Motorways and keeping an eye on the speed. It has taken us to Orkney, Skye, and just about everywhere else in the UK .
It is in perm 4x4, with the rear seat down it holds huge amounts of gear, which is just as well because when we go on hols we have everything but the kitchen sink.I have a full set of beach gear, box, tripods, rods, a couple of boat rods and reels, waders, etc, plus my freshwater gear as we, having done a week on the coast in Cornwall, spent the next on the Teme, but on the way to Cornwall had extra gear in for friends. Just realised it had 8 rods in plus holdalls, boxes etc, and walking gear,.Swmbo insists on taking boxes full of kitchenware etc to the self caterings .
She also put her photographic gear in , but I had to draw the line at her camera filters 😋😋😋

Cannot recommend it enough , apart from SWMBO always complaining about sand and mud inside.
I am looking to buy a second vehicle for fishing and carting junk to the tip myself, quite fancy a van of some sort .Will be watching this thread with interest.

Dave

Blimey David, I thought my Yeti was cavernous but your Volvo seems like a real load lugger.
My problem has always been "I'll put this (item) in the car JUST IN CASE" 😂
If there's a gap in my car when I go out fishing, I feel compelled to fill it with some gear!
I glanced at vans and Ford have introduced one called the Ford Tourneo Courier....basically a van with windows.
Very cavernous

Transit custom for me!

I haven't actually driven one but heard good things about the Dacia Dusters. The guy who trialled it at work said that off road it was much of much between that and a Hilux, just with much better mpg on the road with the Duster. Not sure what the boot space is like.

I'm 6' 3" and with all the XC90 seats folded down, and the front seats all the way forward, I could lay flat out and sleep in the back.

Interesting post. Looking forward to reading other views.

I've had the same 61 plate XC90 since 2014. It was 3-years old when I bought it, and it's been amazing. I can easily load up all my gear for a long session trip (up to 3 nights), with loads room left. Perfect for taking 3 kids camping as well.

It's starting to feel its age now though, so I've been looking around. I like the look of both the V60 Cross Country & V90 Cross Country, but I'll probably get another XC90 tbh. Although the Skoda Kodiaq ticks a lot of boxes, and is quite a bit cheaper.

As with previous posts I also have a Volvo XC90 2019. Great car though it's a diesel but carries all my gear no problem.
Drives well with various gadgets that I mostly don't use. Laughed when I first bought it as it has head up display and heated steering wheel.
Now I love them and will have to be on my next car which will probably be another XC90.

Hi men

Just changed my car , was a Hyundai ix35/Tucson , and it was a great car but with trips to France 3 times a year it was time to change . The best thing was the rear seats come out in no time with just a few bolts , even though they were heated 👍 .

I went for a Tiguan , auto nice car so will see if it does the job .

What I will say is ignore the internet searches as it will only really show up problems , so just use it as a guide as I wrote off a car due to this and after a ride in one may well have looked at it .

If it was not for limited parking I'd have gone for a Skoda Kodiac

Hatter

I fancy a Nissan Xtrail but cant afford one at the moment so my old Focus hatchback has to haul the load but I've never been short of space but not much ground clearance ..

I am a Skoda Yeti fan. On my 3rd one. Its a L&K 4x4 manual petrol version. Goes anywhere. The amount of fishing gear I can cram into it with rear seats down, is unbelievable. But, like so many things in life, it's now discontinued and the replacement is a bland run-of-the-mill SUV. The mileage is creeping up so I am looking to replace it.
My question is this. Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement. MUST have good ground clearance and 4x4 capabilities. Prefer not to have diesel. Automatic box OK. I realise that in my price bracket (max £20k) I can't afford new so a decent used would fit the bill.
Thanks
Don't laugh. But may I suggest the Dacia Duster. I'm on my second model. I've owned the Audi's and Mercs in the past. But the Duster is by far the most practical. I own the front wheel drive model. Its great off road and I kept it uncovered in the Austrian Alps for the whole of the winter 22/23. Didn't miss a beat in extreme sub zero temperatures. Great in the snow, flooded roads, mud and is reliable. I would say 4 wheel drive is even better and doesn't break the bank.

Have a look at a Subaru Forester. You get the load space, 4x4 and good ground clearance. I've not owned a Forester, but had three Legacy models each of which I covered over 100k miles without missing a beat. The permanent four wheel drive system very impressive.

Have a look at a Subaru Forester. You get the load space, 4x4 and good ground clearance. I've not owned a Forester, but had three Legacy models each of which I covered over 100k miles without missing a beat. The permanent four wheel drive system very impressive.
I’ve been very impressed with Subaru. My Lexus is great and handles launching and recovering my boat as well as mild off road, a superb everyday car. I be had Landrover but running costs and reliability put me off somewhat. The Subaru ticks all the boxes except fuel economy as I do about 25000 miles a year. I think I will just have to accept that though for better off road performance.

Dacia Duster , I think myself as fishing vehicle it would be ok .I have no problems with them at all .
I would buy one, but my wife calls them a Dacia Mop n Bucket . Said If I got one and parked it next to the Volvo she would ram it off the road .
She is a car snob ., and I tell her so as well 🤣🤣.
TBH we have had 3 Volvos now and they are always very reliable, roomy and importantly you feel very safe in them .

David

Back