• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Upper Trent Info

Oliver Harfield

Hello everyone,

I'm based in Lichfield and would like to see if anyone has any pointers for the Trent at Alrewas (or close to).

I'm not sure who has the fishing, but first and foremost I'm looking to see if it is worth having a go at.

My last purposeful Barbel stint was on the Dove 2009-2011 and I'm debating where to focus on this season.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and happy to discuss via PM if preferred.

Tight lines for 2019/20

We define the stretches as :

Middle is from Sawley Weir to Collingham

Tidal is below Collingham

Upper is from its source to Sawley Weir

The burton mutual have a nice stetch of the upper trent from catton to swarkstone although not quite as prolific as the middle trent. Ive been in the club for 10 years and had plenty of doubles . You can also night fish and there's good access for parking on some stretches you can park along the bank.

It could well just be me but I've been really struggling to catch anything on the upper for the last couple of years. Even the chub have dried up for me recently.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me. Does anyone have any idea who controls the water below the weir at Alrewas at all? I fancy giving it a proper go but all I'm getting is conflicting information as nobody I've asked has a clue what's going on with it.

According to a “local” that I was talking to in Alrewas a couple of weeks ago it used to belong to a local club but as far as he knew they no longer had it and so it was “free fishing “
Are there no signs anywhere? PAAS have the rights from the canal up to the Swarbourne.
There’s a lot of river to go at around that area but access looks difficult,good luck in your quest 👍

According to a “local” that I was talking to in Alrewas a couple of weeks ago it used to belong to a local club but as far as he knew they no longer had it and so it was “free fishing “
Are there no signs anywhere? PAAS have the rights from the canal up to the Swarbourne.
There’s a lot of river to go at around that area but access looks difficult,good luck in your quest 👍
Not seen any signs or any indication of peg management suggesting a club is looking after it. I'll treat it as you said until told otherwise. I've been down today to run a float through and have a look but the rivers ridiculously low and the swimmers are a nightmare!

Had the same problem on the PA stretch.............October looks a better bet 👍
I seem to get it everywhere I go these days. The Severn, Anker, tame, Avon and trent, the sooner the temperatures drop the better!

I was speaking to a couple of mates and they've said it's the same when they've been out.

I like a bit of a challenge, as i have never fished the upper trent and would like to catch one at least. I like the look of Ingleby, would anyone know who has the rights here? Or is it free fishing. This applies to both banks.

Not sure, Jon. Inglesby exists in a gap between Burton Mutual stretches (both on the north and south banks). Derby Railway perhaps? There are definitely barbel in the area though, so good luck.

The Ingleby stretch around the John Thompson pub is DRAC just above and below the DRAC stretch is Burton Mutual but then further down strean at Swarkstone its DRAC again both sides of the road bridge. Above the bridge Drac have a few pegs then back to burton but there is a clear sign so you shouldn't get mixed up. Parking behind most of the pegs on DRAC and Burton below John Thompson pub

Back