• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Upper Trent Info

I like a bit of a challenge, as i have never fished the upper trent and would like to catch one at least. I like the look of Ingleby, would anyone know who has the rights here? Or is it free fishing. This applies to both banks.
Derby railway have that stretch jon

Oliver.. If you're feeling a bit naughty.. There's a stretch by the Burton Albion ground that is reserved for caravan residents and says no fishing.. But.. No one off the site fishes hardly and there's a few pegs. Its mostly very shallow and weedy but there are pegs that have been cut out and palleted that are slow and steadier and hold barbel. Biggest off there I know to is 13 plus. My best is 8lb 5oz from there.

Just moved to Alrewas and had a little walk down the trent from the weir. Who runs this water and is it any good. Looks lovely water.

I am a PAAS member so I can fish the water above, but it did not look very inviting, lots of people knocking about with bloody big dogs and bbq scource marks all along the bank.

Might be full of swimmers come the warmer months as well :(

Fished it a couple of times at the start of last season,ok first thing but as you suspect it’s a no no on a warm evening,the metal bridge is used as a diving board by the local youngsters🙁🙁
I spoke to a local angler and he said the lower section used to be run by a local club but he thought they had given it up and was now “free” fishing but nothing certain.
The PA section does look nice at the top end where the Swarbourn enters the Trent but there was evidence of “camping “ and otters there last weekend when me and my wife had a stroll along there.
Good luck in your quest 👍

Private from the a38 bridge downstream , dont know who has the water up from the a38 , there,s a section below walton , but one side is owned by bullivants i think( derby side) and the other has no access( by that i mean nowhere to put a car ,a long walk, and dodgy parking), the next accessable area is branston ( bmaa) and the town waters, ( various clubs , ask at the tackle shops) after that its a bit easier to get to, bmaa and drac have lots to go at down here , and there are areas that hardly ever see an anglers, good luck
Regards

I once had a long weekend at a hotel in a place on the upper Trent called Kings Mills. Had a Weir pool and was great fishing, in the early days of the Barbel restocking program. The hotel had a few books from a local club for residents to use.
No idea how things are now, it was way back, around 1982!

I think the hotel is now closed due to Covid, not sure about the fishing though. The hotel ran it. It's almost at the lower reaches of the Upper Trent, if that makes any sense ??

Scratch that, I'm thinking of the Priest house at Castle Donington.

Back