• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Unhooking Mat Help?

My mate swears by the Korum Rolla Mat Jamie...I've bought one but not yet had to use it :mad:

My mate swears by the Korum Rolla Mat Jamie...I've bought one but not yet had to use it :mad:

That mat doesn't look to bad at all Bill. I've been looking out for a 'roll up' type mat for a while which would strap onto the top of a ruckbag. I was looking at the Shimano tribal lite barbel mat, but I don't think it would roll up as small as the Korum,...bit pricey as well !
I've still got an old Nash sling type mat which I brought years ago which has been really good, being very light and compact, ..but is knackered. Haven't been able to find a like for like. I seem to have a collection of failed impulse buys including the Shimano fold up type and the Korum boat/sling type, all too big and cumbersome for what I want.
The smaller fold-ups can work, ..depends on your luggage,..my mate tucks his in his folded low chair, but I prefer a mat that will strap on top of a ruckbag.
May give that Korum mat a try,...hope you christen yours soon !! :D

That mat doesn't look to bad at all Bill. I've been looking out for a 'roll up' type mat for a while which would strap onto the top of a ruckbag. I was looking at the Shimano tribal lite barbel mat, but I don't think it would roll up as small as the Korum,...bit pricey as well !
I've still got an old Nash sling type mat which I brought years ago which has been really good, being very light and compact, ..but is knackered. Haven't been able to find a like for like. I seem to have a collection of failed impulse buys including the Shimano fold up type and the Korum boat/sling type, all too big and cumbersome for what I want.
The smaller fold-ups can work, ..depends on your luggage,..my mate tucks his in his folded low chair, but I prefer a mat that will strap on top of a ruckbag.
May give that Korum mat a try,...hope you christen yours soon !! :D

Thanks Dave...my main problem has been too much "armchair angling" for a variety of reasons. I can predict what's going to happen as soon as I'm able to hit the river....the weather will change and the frosts will arrive

The cold weather has got to come sometime I guess Bill, I'm trying to take advantage of the mild temps and am on the third consecutive session today. Lost a biggie last night , returned today and not had a touch so far. Seems a bit weird sitting out in a hoody this time of year and still getting stung by nettles and bitten by midges. Even the bats are active, pity can't say the same for the barbel ....:(

Jamie,
I have been using the Shimano Purist for 3 years and its still like new. It rolls up and has straps that can loop through rucksack straps, or it can be folded flat and put inside. I also sit an mine in a couple of steep swims where I cannot get a chair. Just wash it off when you get home and leave out to dry. Great value for money.
Mike

Someone tell me this is a wind up, its a 'flippin unhooking mat, that doubles up as a seat. :)

Yep its a seat thats not a seat, and if rules stipulate you have to have a mat then it weighs precisely nothing as you would have to take the mat anyway, if you get my drift ;)

Not a seat Neil, but where I fish on the Derwent the banks are very steep. In places club members have cut out steps, but there's no room for loads of gear, not even a small folding seat in places. But you can sit on the lower step, and the unhooking mat under your rear just makes it a bit more comfortable and stops the damp penetrating !!!!
It's tough up north you know.

It's a really good bit of kit Dave, i'm buying a couple of spares because no doubt they will be discontinued !

Thanks for the recommendation Simon, I need to replace the greys prodigy one I've been using as its rapidly disintegrating, soaks up water like a sponge and smells like a skunk's jockstrap.

Have just ordered two of the Purist's for £20.72 inc delivery from Wave Inn Fishing - bargain!

Shimano Purist Roll Mat. Fishing accessories, Carpfishing reception buy and offers on Waveinn

Not a seat Neil, but where I fish on the Derwent the banks are very steep. In places club members have cut out steps, but there's no room for loads of gear, not even a small folding seat in places. But you can sit on the lower step, and the unhooking mat under your rear just makes it a bit more comfortable and stops the damp penetrating !!!!
It's tough up north you know.

That exactly what I do Mike, especially on the Lower Severn, the steps are ideal. I have an old Shakespeare 3 fold mat, that I have borrowed from son, it is robust and comfy , plus you can stuff a small flask, bait box etc in the folds.
Sometimes I might lay a fish on it.:)

Been looking for a replacement for some time for my sponge soaking mat and this thread was just spot on.Great deal,(two for one )was going to link it last night after fishing all day but found Joe had already done so.Thanks for recommending it in the first place Simon

Back