• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Type of rig you use?

Interesting to hear the fairly consistent theme of 2ft+ hook links. I’ll use longer hook links for free running set-ups, but regularly only 12 - 18 inch links for semi-fixed bolt rigs, which seems to work pretty well for me. I just feel if i’m going with a bolt rig approach, I want it to take effect almost as soon as a fish picks up or mouths the bait to minimise any chance of a dropped bait and missed opportunity. Maybe that’s more applicable on still waters though? What do you all think?
If there's current then I can't see hook-length being 18 or 36" it making any difference on a semi-bolt rig. Hooklength should be in a straight line anyway.

In theory You should get the first prick on attempted bait ejection and that will cause the fish the bolt.
I doubt very much it matters whether it’s gotta move 12 or 36 inches before the weight of the lead sets it home because a bolting barbel is going to cover either length of ground very very quickly.

The advantages of long hook lengths is only to keep the bait away from the main line as it’s known to spook barbel that come in contact with it. It’s not always practical to back lead.

Hook length length is a personal choice and again it boils down to confidence. If it works for you then why fix it despite the length or what you read.

I like them quite long up to about 3 feet and this isn’t going to change even though I’m considering going to the semi fixed Korum rigs.
In reality from experience of using a running rig to catch 99% of my Barbel, the self hooking properties of a bolt rig are not the reason I like them. For me personally It’s actually more about casting them out than anything else.
A running lead rig has extremely good self hooking properties too. Your still pricking that fish with the hair rig and sending her to bolt But instead of the lead setting it home it’s a 2lb TC lump of carbon fibre stuffed on the bank that does that job.
Barbel gear is heavy duty and under tension so if your hook is exposed it’s always self hooking no matter what you do with the lead.

I always use a free running set up, 15lb flouro mainline, 12lb hooklink (both X-line), lead/feeder on a pulley bead (oval bead with integrated swivel), a rubber bead and swivel, hooklink anywhere between 2/4ft, rarely less, hooks from 12 to 8, never found a need for anything bigger, even using big meat baits. all baits fished on a standard knotless knot set up, simples!!!!
Hi Peter,

I'm intrigued by the pulley bead - must confess I had never even heard of one. Do you use it for its anti-tangle properties?

Steve

Hi Peter,

I'm intrigued by the pulley bead - must confess I had never even heard of one. Do you use it for its anti-tangle properties?

Steve

Hi Stephen, they make it very simple and quick, to swap between a feeder and a lead. :)

Hi Steve, as Derek has put up a link, you can see what they are, just add a clip, a bead below and a hooklink swivel, they work very well, even if you tie on a link for the lead, I use them for fishing devon minnows and prawns for salmon too. a very versatile, and cheap bit of kit.

Korum camo run and bolt rig,3ft hooklinks more often than not mono,but the most important thing for me as it gives me confidence why I catch is a Pallatrax stonz weight from 2oz upwards to suit conditions..

Rather than use the expensive Korum camo run and bolt rig,

that I think are to stiff to pull off I use the Tadpole beads instead that depending on where you push the run ring on you can adjust the pull needed to run if that makes sense lol ?
EDIT !!
BLIMEY !!! I just saw that Fox are now selling them !! I been using them for years and they were only available from china I bought 200 lol

Attachments

• tadpole.jpg
    tadpole.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Interesting to hear the fairly consistent theme of 2ft+ hook links. I’ll use longer hook links for free running set-ups, but regularly only 12 - 18 inch links for semi-fixed bolt rigs, which seems to work pretty well for me. I just feel if i’m going with a bolt rig approach, I want it to take effect almost as soon as a fish picks up or mouths the bait to minimise any chance of a dropped bait and missed opportunity. Maybe that’s more applicable on still waters though? What do you all think?
I use short hooklengths often 6-7 inches on a bolt rig - I want to minimise the risk of pick ups not converting.

View attachment 9036
These are what I use for my lead. If the ring gets snagged you will lose everything but if it’s just the lead they come off easily enough.
I used these initially they are very good but huge disadvantage is when they snap off you have to cut off your swivel/clip put a new ring on
and so
I use these clipped on then if they break you just clip a new one on they are ==Enterprise ET15 Snag Safe Link Clip Large

Attachments

• ENTERPRISE Snag-Safe-Link-Clip.jpg
    ENTERPRISE Snag-Safe-Link-Clip.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 316
I used these initially they are very good but huge disadvantage is when they snap off you have to cut off your swivel/clip put a new ring on
and so
I use these clipped on then if they break you just clip a new one on they are ==Enterprise ET15 Snag Safe Link Clip Large
3143192C-FD24-43D3-A651-0A11AA52E39C.jpeg
These are what I used to use obviously the rubber bit is missing but they were a bit of a pain at times. Every time the lead came off you would lose the rubber

Back