• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Type of rig you use?

Richard Barrett

Just wonder if anyone using a helicopter rig for river barbel? I'm expecting most use a form of running rig, if so is it a simple set up, or do you double the line for the weight, twizzle boom maybe? Just interested, I fancy to rotary for several reasons, just a simple one.?

I should add that I put a snap link on the ledger swivel to aid changing leads , if the lead gets snagged on an obstruction when you pull the snap link will open up under pressure

I'm a big fan of semi fixed bolt rigs. This season I have moved from my homemade semi fixed to the Korum Camo Bolt rig. I have changed it to my requirements, by removing the quick change swivel to a quick link to aid quick linking my hook length on. I'm not a fan of swivels as some have failed on me, that's the main reason, probably getting too much hammer from multiple catches etc.

From hook up ... #6 to #10 (bait dependant, always barbless), to either my standard Drennan microbraid (10/12lb) or Soft+ fluoro (low/clear conditions) to a quick change bead (figure of 8 loop). Going up mainline (12lb Krystonite [std] or 15lb Ghostline [high abrasion]) is Enterprise adjusta ledger stop, a large bore rig-ring (with breakaway to 4"/10cm of coated braid to ledger snap link ... so ledger may be PVA bagged), then a small rubber bead and a float stop on the line 6"/15cm above (safe semi-bolt)
With this I can change my hooklink easily, adjust my hooklength easily, and PVA bag my ledger. For safety it has a 'lighter than mainline' hooklength, a ledger breakaway, and is safely semi-bolt.

12-24 mono hook link size 10 drennan hook. Running in line lead nice and simple. Will switch to korum running rig if using feeders

I fish a 6" feeder link with a lead on it running free on my mainline which is tied to a korum quick change bead, my hook link is a 2 to 3ft 10 or 12lb flouro hook link to a sz6 Drennan continental boilie hook. I actually put my lead and link into a PVA bag, fill the bag with pellets and seal it with a PVA cable tie.

A semi-running rig with a bead and float stop 18" above the lead and a bead above the hooklink swivel - which is 18-24" coated braid (Sufix 15lb) with the last inch coating removed, to a size 10 Gardner talon tipped wide gape hook. Simple seems to do the job.

Full running rig 18-36inch long
15lb anchor braid with the coating stripped on the last inch. Size 12-8 wide gap talon tip barbless hook
Nice long hair and I often avoid hooking chub. Nothing fancy or carpy about it just a soft bead between my lead and the rig swivel

Simple running rig, quick change swivel, length of supple braid with an anti tangle sleeve then a standard knotless knot hair rig.

Bringing this thread back to life. In the past I’ve really liked the advantages of a semi fixed rig but never had the balls to use one for many many years for the reasons all good anglers worry about with such set ups. Lead clips are absolutely lethal, I don’t care what people say. I used one a long while back. Great rig with all the advantages of a bolt set up however that lead was still swinging there after a 20 minute scrap with a double. Surely that’s not right and never again. There is no way you can guarantee 100% that that clip is going to drop the lead because a knackered fish might not have the energy to pull it free.
So I’ve stuck with running rigs and they work fine.
This week I was given one of those Korum things to try out from a mate. It has a little rubber ridge for the lead to pop over. Well it brought back some memories of just how much I like a semi bolt set up. The 2 takes I had were certainly more vicious and the lead was cast out much nicer being the fixed distance from the bait. I lost one of those fish unfortunately to a hook pull and landed the other but the best thing is on both occasions I returned a full running rig.
I’ve not come across them before in my tackle shop but I’ve just ordered a kit as I honestly think they are super inventions.

Ps I don’t work for Korum lol it’s not an advertisement post 😂

Depends on the river/conditions....but generally a large bore run ring for the weight, down to a tulip or chod bead covering the quick change swivel. The hooklink will always be 12lb soft ghost and the length will vary from 2ft to 8ft. Hook will depend on bait used....meat will have a size 2 DCB hook on. If its pellet or boilies then it's a gardner mugga with a rubber bait band(or 2 or 3) on the hair for flexibility of baits.

I always use a free running set up, 15lb flouro mainline, 12lb hooklink (both X-line), lead/feeder on a pulley bead (oval bead with integrated swivel), a rubber bead and swivel, hooklink anywhere between 2/4ft, rarely less, hooks from 12 to 8, never found a need for anything bigger, even using big meat baits. all baits fished on a standard knotless knot set up, simples!!!!

Interesting to hear the fairly consistent theme of 2ft+ hook links. I’ll use longer hook links for free running set-ups, but regularly only 12 - 18 inch links for semi-fixed bolt rigs, which seems to work pretty well for me. I just feel if i’m going with a bolt rig approach, I want it to take effect almost as soon as a fish picks up or mouths the bait to minimise any chance of a dropped bait and missed opportunity. Maybe that’s more applicable on still waters though? What do you all think?

Back