• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tucker

High protein foods will help stave off hunger. An Egg & Bacon breaky is always a good start. There are plenty of high % protein snack bars on the market right now. The best are free of refine sugar (using tooth friendly Xylitol as the sweetener - but don't feed these to the dog! ) and offer slow energy release. Beware there are some pretty awful tasting offerings about too, so check the online reviews before parting with your cash.
If you're avoiding refined sugar for health's sake, but then eating bacon and fried eggs, then I'd suggest you think on. Just drinking plain hot water on the bank would keep you warmer than having had a 'hearty breakfast'. What you you think it does ...light a fire inside you? 🤣 :eek: 🤣 (N.b.. I'm pretty sure that the Ready Brek "Central Heating for Kids" advert wasn't based on solid scientific principles :rolleyes::oops::rolleyes:

If you're avoiding refined sugar for health's sake, but then eating bacon and fried eggs, then I'd suggest you think on. Just drinking plain hot water on the bank would keep you warmer than having had a 'hearty breakfast'. What you you think it does ...light a fire inside you? 🤣 :eek: 🤣 (N.b.. I'm pretty sure that the Ready Brek "Central Heating for Kids" advert wasn't based on solid scientific principles :rolleyes::oops::rolleyes:

Depends on the health areas you're concerned about. Refined sugar/carbohydrates are very bad for high sugar levels whereas protein like bacon and eggs will not have that effect. Both are obviously a threat to the waistline! But a good breakfast can sustain you for a good while and this can lessen the temptation for sweet snacks later on.

Terry - The point I was making regarding refined sugar was that most of us consume knowingly, and unknowingly, probably too much, so actively seeking 'Sugar Free' on occasion can't be a bad thing.

Terry - The point I was making regarding refined sugar was that most of us consume knowingly, and unknowingly, probably too much, so actively seeking 'Sugar Free' on occasion can't be a bad thing.
Sugar free yes, but far from calorie free. But yes Steve, I see it being useful for diabetics. But with that 'healthy option' following the "bacon and fried eggs" bit it made me smile. It sounded a bit like "I like to eat healthily so I don't have salt on the fish and chips I have every night" 😂 There's just SO much rubbish talked about food : folk thinking that 'Sea Salt' is SO much better than standard stuff, or 'Low Sodium Salt' is ok ...when really there's just more Potassium instead of Sodium.

It got to the point where I was always forgetting about the sandwiches in my bag until I found them packing up so now I simply don’t bother.
I’ll now just have breakfast before I go and a large thermos flask of strong coffee lasts me nicely throughout the day.
properly makes me appreciate the evening meal even more 😊

It got to the point where I was always forgetting about the sandwiches in my bag until I found them packing up so now I simply don’t bother.
I’ll now just have breakfast before I go and a large thermos flask of strong coffee lasts me nicely throughout the day.
properly makes me appreciate the evening meal even more 😊
.....and if you've no food in your stomach, the effort exerted fishing immediately results in fat-burning, i.e. that stored fat (usually stored at waistline). If you can't reduce the weight of your kit, reduce your body weight ;)

.....and if you've no food in your stomach, the effort exerted fishing immediately results in fat-burning, i.e. that stored fat (usually stored at waistline). If you can't reduce the weight of your kit, reduce your body weight ;)
Don’t remember mentioning anything about the weight of my kit or my gut 🤣
Just forget to eat my sarnies
Unfortunately it’s not because I’m too busy catching big barbel 🤣

I had a poor time on the river today. Turned up and the river was pushing through and highly coloured and I was not equipped for the conditions. I missed a bite first cast at 8 am. Then an otter came trundling along the bank and slipped into my swim. I moved 300 yards. A huge flock of geese landed soon after. One half on one side of the river and the other half on the other side. They then started swapping sides - noisily. Two dogs bounded in from nowhere and there was mayhem. I roved about biteless. The second bite came with the last cast at 4:30 pm and I messed that up too. When I poured a coffee in the morning luke warm water came out and the same happened with the tea flask. It was the water I use to warm up the flasks...

Boil in the bag meals for me every time, followed by an apple, same at tea time if I am having a very late session, fresh brewed tea every couple of hours.

Was once a guest of Martin's, on the Wye, ( after winning an auction ), :)spoilt me rotten, set me up next to Tom the bailiff, ( had some great banter over football ). Cheese and Branston on toast for brekkie, with a large mug of tea delivered to the bank. After fishing, it was up to the lodge for an evening meal, cant remember what it was, ( old age setting in 😁 ) but i remember it was very enjoyable, and heart warming after a day on the bank. If memory serves me correctly, i had 8 barbel that day, nothing massive, but all very welcome. Great memories. :) :):) Cheers Martin. 👍

Last edited:
When going to the Trent I stop off at Floes Cafe on the south bound A1:oops:. The large breakfast sets me up for the day. Thereafter, whilst on the bank, it's a constant flow of fresh brewed tea.

A lot depends on what time I set off and what time I am planning on fishing.

Most venues I fish are at least an hour plus away, so if I want to fish first light it can mean leaving home at 3.0o am, that cocks up your body clock straight away .

Basically in the morning I always have a douple of slices of "Marmite " toast and tea. When I arrive I have a pot of Porridge with sultanas, amd another pot of tea. As the day goes on I will have whatever SWMBO has provided, which is always very accepteable, along with ......several cups of tea.

If I am fishing a night session and arrive say 4.00pm to fish till 1.00 am I will already have eaten, but I still have my "pack up" and large flask of boiling hot water , tea bags, milk, or, sometimes I take my Kelly Kettle, especially if its cold .

David.

I have whatever Cook has sent in the hamper. This is served to me by the footmen, on the dining table in the marquee they set up behind my swim. Always accompanied by a bottle or two of Petrus. Then I come to, realising I’ve dozed off in my chair again
I like your style Richard. What time do you let your staff retire in the evening?

I have whatever Cook has sent in the hamper. This is served to me by the footmen, on the dining table in the marquee they set up behind my swim. Always accompanied by a bottle or two of Petrus. Then I come to, realising I’ve dozed off in my chair again
Oh to be a gentleman angler, with ghillie's and butlers in tow!

Back