• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tucker

Edward Adcock

Senior Member & Supporter
When you spend a day by the river what food and drink do you usually pack? On a winter's day I consume a wholesome breakfast regardless of how early I am setting off. I have a small flask of coffee for the morning and a larger flask of vanilla chai for the afternoon. I nibble at fruit cake throughout the day and lunch comprises an assortment of pies, samosas, and scotch eggs followed by an apple. Food and drink takes up two thirds of the rucksack.

A big flask of tea, a small bottle of water, a couple of sandwiches made the night before, some sort additional savoury snack (sausage roll or pork pie usually) and a piece of fruit and that’s me set for the day! Usually starving by the time I get back though 😊

I find having plenty of food important for keeping warm at this time of year

In all seriousness, I work in hospitality, so quite often do an ‘afd’ without eating anything. Whilst the idea of a Kelly kettle and homemade cake is appealing, I quite often don’t want to be weighed down with the baggage and make do with a sarnie or two (often shop bought). Maybe when I retire and have more time, I’ll get a bit more adventurous!

Large brekkie at a truck stop on the way, ( usually the Raven, A41/A49 jct ). Large flask of boiling water, and anything that can be made with it, i.e. pot noodle, cup a soup, coffee etc. Then normally a chippy or pub meal on the way home.

Usually a packet of nice smoked bacon, some cheese and flat breads and can't forget the brown sauce 😋

I've not eaten anything whilst fishing for well over 25 years, not even a sweet. Then again, I never eat anything at home until after 6pm ...and I'm usually home from fishing by then. ;)

Sometimes a flask of coffee if I’m fishing more than a couple of hours
......If I got really hungry there’s usually a Tim of meat in the bottom of the rucksack or pandemic shelflifes

Try not to eat a load of crap nowadays , gone are the mars bars,boost bars crisps, Lucozade etc , one or two flasks of 1/2 caffeinated coffee depending if a all night session, a few apples, some oatie bars without chocolate on, water, sarnies with low spreadable cheese / full fat butter ,and some chewing gum, gone are the roll ups as well !

Small Stanley food flask with soup plus some bagels (sometimes a curry in the flask if all day), fruit and large flask of hot water to make coffee and bottle of water...being out all day in fresh air means I am usually ravenous when I get home, and all too often the local chippy is subliminally calling😉

If I'm going to be out the whole day I put in a lunchbox 4 or 5 slices of Emmental cheese, a couple of Scotch eggs and a handful of baby plum tomatoes. Sometimes an onion bahgee.
Good cafe breakfast to start.

Couple of sandwiches, cereal bars, lots of bananas, couple of apples, a tub of mixed nuts and lots of litres of lemon cordial supplemented by a four pack of Red Bull for an overnight session. Sometimes a flask of redbush tea in the winter. My wife knows how good a session it has been by the amount of food I bring home, if I'm catching I forget to eat!

When you spend a day by the river what food and drink do you usually pack? On a winter's day I consume a wholesome breakfast regardless of how early I am setting off. I have a small flask of coffee for the morning and a larger flask of vanilla chai for the afternoon. I nibble at fruit cake throughout the day and lunch comprises an assortment of pies, samosas, and scotch eggs followed by an apple. Food and drink takes up two thirds of the rucksack.
Sounds about right to me.

Thinking about it, I carry very little actual fishing tackle in my Bergen/Rucksack. One pouch has scales, old tea towel retaining sack. One for food and another has a couple of 500ml flasks for coffee and a bottle of water. All the end tackle goes in a pouch onto of the bergen. The main compartment contains a box with head torch/bite alarms and spare bats etc. Then there is a ‘hygiene’ pack with loo roll, wet wipes, hand sanitiser etc and spare layers of clothing. My seat is bungeed to the outside and I carry a quiver or made-up rod holdall and a bait/bit’s waterproof canvas bucket. Food is really important especial in winter, if you’re out in the middle of nowhere for the day/evening. But as I’ve got older weight is the key. I don’t want to be carrying stuff I don’t need or heavy old gear, if there is a modern material light weight replacement.

High protein foods will help stave off hunger. An Egg & Bacon breaky is always a good start. There are plenty of high % protein snack bars on the market right now. The best are free of refine sugar (using tooth friendly Xylitol as the sweetener - but don't feed these to the dog! ) and offer slow energy release. Beware there are some pretty awful tasting offerings about too, so check the online reviews before parting with your cash.

Back