• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trying To Travel Light

I have one of these attached to my fishing chair...

http://www.greatvaluegolf.co.uk/p-59-masters-golf-umbrella-holder.aspx

It's light plastic - virtually weightless and folds into the chair when I pack it away (ie permanently attached).

I have the Gustbuster golf umbrella in hunter green. It also comes in camo for the more commando style anglers. :)

http://www.gustbuster.com/golf.html

When the umbrella is in the holder it is extremely solid and covers me, my chair and my bag.

I find that it's just high enough to fish under (cast, retrieve and even play a fish at a pinch).

Russ

It's light plastic - virtually weightless and folds into the chair when I pack it away (ie permanently attached).

I have the Gustbuster golf umbrella in hunter green. It also comes in camo for the more commando style anglers. :)

When the umbrella is in the holder it is extremely solid and covers me, my chair and my bag.

I find that it's just high enough to fish under (cast, retrieve and even play a fish at a pinch).

Russ

That certainly looks the business Russ. My only worry then is what happens on a wet, windy day when you have the brolly up and attached solely to the chair....and you have to come out to land the fish. If you take pegs, straps etc to peg your chair down, you are going back up into weight again...if you don't peg down, you are in danger of the brolly and chair blowing into the river...and I have seen that happen :eek:

I am not arguing just to be awkward here, I am genuinely interested in how you guys cope....and have been bugged always by being a 'what if' type worrier :D

Cheers, Dave.

Russ

Russ,
What a great idea it's a must have item for me !
Found quite a selection of them on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...orts&hvadid=7054923753&ref=pd_sl_7jtajycgq1_b

Dave

Dave, if you only had a few leads and feeders what was it that filled that rucksack up? :) i should of told you that there was no need for the seat really :)

Mark,
Well there is all the food and drink i take and never get round to eating !

And i bet i'm not the only one either ?

Dave

your right there, i gave up taking lots of food years ago and now its just the flask and mars bar

One made up rod, landing net, three leads, a bits box (size of a fag packet), forceps, a small bait container and waterproof trousers or unhooking mat for a seat. most of the above in your pocket, you don't need a bag.

Dave P

Yes, I found this one to be the most secure and grips the chair nicely...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Maste...ng_Goods_Golf_Accessories&hash=item5d30856a9d

I did try the larger clamp type holder but it actually swivelled on the small 1.5cm chair strut I was attaching it to.

Dave G

I know exactly what you mean and I'm a worrier also. I carry a small bungee which I use to hook over my chair arm and attach to my fishing bag which is heavy enough to hold on to the chair in a fairly strongish wind. I reckon if on the extremely rare occasion that I was fishing in a gale and had to get out from underneath I'd probably just turn and release the brolly catch to let it down as it's not that much different to turning to pick up a landing net pole or similar.

The Gustbuster is a fairly cool design in that it has wind vents to allow the passage of wind through without compromising the function of the umbrella - also it has a very easy release system.

I would recommend getting the holder and a v. cheap umbrella - maybe from a petrol station or something so you can try it out without splashing out (no pun intended) the bigger bucks on a the quality umbrella.
If it's not for you then at least you haven't broken the bank.

hope this helps
Russ

Dave P

Yes, I found this one to be the most secure and grips the chair nicely...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Maste...ng_Goods_Golf_Accessories&hash=item5d30856a9d

I did try the larger clamp type holder but it actually swivelled on the small 1.5cm chair strut I was attaching it to.

Dave G

I know exactly what you mean and I'm a worrier also. I carry a small bungee which I use to hook over my chair arm and attach to my fishing bag which is heavy enough to hold on to the chair in a fairly strongish wind. I reckon if on the extremely rare occasion that I was fishing in a gale and had to get out from underneath I'd probably just turn and release the brolly catch to let it down as it's not that much different to turning to pick up a landing net pole or similar.

The Gustbuster is a fairly cool design in that it has wind vents to allow the passage of wind through without compromising the function of the umbrella - also it has a very easy release system.

I would recommend getting the holder and a v. cheap umbrella - maybe from a petrol station or something so you can try it out without splashing out (no pun intended) the bigger bucks on a the quality umbrella.
If it's not for you then at least you haven't broken the bank.

hope this helps
Russ

Cheers for the in-depth reply Russ...you have set my mind into full swing now....which means both remaining brain cells (I lived a 'full' life in the 60's....cough) are activated together :p

Trouble is, after donkeys years in a large carping bivy, which obviously included a bed, toilet, massage parlour and fitted carpet in the living room....a golfing umbrella is going to make me feel positively naked :eek:

Cheers, Dave.

Hello David Gauntlett,
I have my Gortex hooded jacket on, bits and pieces tucked under or beside my chair. It starts to rain so put up the golf brolly so that it is over the back of the chair and the spokes rest on top of my head, and this will keep me dry. If lucky enough to get a bite then strike with one hand, and let brolly down with the other and lay it on the ground. as you stand up to play the fish fold down the back of your seat to stop it geting wet. I have used these brollys for 3 years now and can honestly say they have never caused me a problem or lost me a fish. I don't particulary like fishing under a brolly and it is so easy to fold up as soon as it stops raining, and much easier tomove swims.
ATB
Colin

Hello David Gauntlett,
I have my Gortex hooded jacket on, bits and pieces tucked under or beside my chair. It starts to rain so put up the golf brolly so that it is over the back of the chair and the spokes rest on top of my head, and this will keep me dry. If lucky enough to get a bite then strike with one hand, and let brolly down with the other and lay it on the ground. as you stand up to play the fish fold down the back of your seat to stop it geting wet. I have used these brollys for 3 years now and can honestly say they have never caused me a problem or lost me a fish. I don't particulary like fishing under a brolly and it is so easy to fold up as soon as it stops raining, and much easier tomove swims.
ATB
Colin

Hi Colin,

Sounds reasonable to me mate, I may give it a try. It gets far too tempting to stay put rather than all the hassle of moving swims when you have a mass of gear, so something has to give.....if only I can get my head round the tiny amount of cover. I feel exposed under a 60" brolly....silly tart :D:p:D

Cheers, Dave.

This cutting down of tackle is all well and good but I drink a serious amoiunt of Tea when fishing and struggle with less than 2 litres per 8 hour fishing trip! At least the flasks weigh less on the way back!

This cutting down of tackle is all well and good but I drink a serious amoiunt of Tea when fishing and struggle with less than 2 litres per 8 hour fishing trip! At least the flasks weigh less on the way back!

:D:D Do you smoke Darryl? I used to drink quantities like that when I was smoking, but nowhere near as much now.

Cheers, Dave.

Hello David Gauntlett,
ATB
Colin

I also have a Goretex hooded jacket but put all the bits and pieces in my fishing waistcoat, have a small holdall for bits of bait. I don't feed heavily, sit on the unhooking mat, only fish with one rod and reel, already made up in the vehicle. Golfing brolly is perfect. One is mobile. If I am lucky enough to get a fish then I don't need a brolly as I am wearing a gortex jacket and trousers.

As ever

Hugo

Hello Dave,
Try a dummy run at home in the garden. Get your chair set up with golf brolly and see how dry it will keep you.
ATB
Colin

never seen anyone catch a fish with a chair or brolly, completely superfluous to the result. One rod and reel, a wychwood collapsable net which is fitted with a bungee rope tp fit on my shoulder like the whitlock (far too heavy). This also carries my unhooking mat and weighsling. One small pouch similar to a "bum bag" around my waist containing small items such as shot, hooks (drennan continentals size 1+2), scisors, foreceps, bottle of Friars Balsam, a few swivels and silicone tubing.
Pockets contain small lightweight scales (weighmaster mk2), head torch and camera.
A bait pouch around my neck will carry an opened tin of spam in a plasitc bag and perhaps a few pellets or boilies just in case!
Other than that, maybe a snickers and a drink and that's about it.

I can literally walk for miles and cover fish on more than one occasion during a day or evening session. You can say what you want about Mr Walton (and I often do) but he taught me a lot about barbel and how to fish for them!

Cheers Ray.

Best regards,
Jeff

never seen anyone catch a fish with a chair or brolly, completely superfluous to the result. One rod and reel, a wychwood collapsable net which is fitted with a bungee rope tp fit on my shoulder like the whitlock (far too heavy). This also carries my unhooking mat and weighsling. One small pouch similar to a "bum bag" around my waist containing small items such as shot, hooks (drennan continentals size 1+2), scisors, foreceps, bottle of Friars Balsam, a few swivels and silicone tubing.
Pockets contain small lightweight scales (weighmaster mk2), head torch and camera.
A bait pouch around my neck will carry an opened tin of spam in a plasitc bag and perhaps a few pellets or boilies just in case!
Other than that, maybe a snickers and a drink and that's about it.

I can literally walk for miles and cover fish on more than one occasion during a day or evening session. You can say what you want about Mr Walton (and I often do) but he taught me a lot about barbel and how to fish for them!

Cheers Ray.

Best regards,
Jeff

Have you caught fish with your camera, weigh sling and scales then Jeff :rolleyes:

What you suggest may well be fine for you, but it may perhaps be as well to consider the the age, physical condition....and heaven forbid.....preferences of others, before being quite so scathing about what they consider necessary to take with them while fishing Jeff :D

Cheers, Dave.

Brolly:p Do me a favour I have enough trouble deciding to take a seat and I am not a young 'un either despite reports to the contrary.:cool:

Two rods and two reels.. why? Surely that is just unnecessary weight to lug around just how many times have you broke a rod and reel whilst fishing.?
I take just what I need, and that's far too much, I could really cut down on bait and weights /feeders etc,

I found a quiver in the garage yesterday I have never used and have adapted it into a light sling that will take my bank stick handle and rod thus leaving me hands free.

Dave, you really should leave your old Carpy ways behind you know, in the Garage?:p

Only jesting old fella :p

great thread ,

loving the golf umrbella ella ella ideas :D

when i do get the chance to get out and travel light , th'umbrella was allways the painfull option

even tho i use the army goretex stuff , the water allways collected in the seat of the chair and eventually i ended up with a wet bum , maybe i need to reproof the pants :rolleyes::confused:

Brolly:p Do me a favour I have enough trouble deciding to take a seat and I am not a young 'un either despite reports to the contrary.:cool:

Two rods and two reels.. why? Surely that is just unnecessary weight to lug around just how many times have you broke a rod and reel whilst fishing.?
I take just what I need, and that's far too much, I could really cut down on bait and weights /feeders etc,

I found a quiver in the garage yesterday I have never used and have adapted it into a light sling that will take my bank stick handle and rod thus leaving me hands free.

Dave, you really should leave your old Carpy ways behind you know, in the Garage?:p

Only jesting old fella :p

Cheeky sod :D:D

I just find all this macho bit...the boasting and vying to outdo one another in how little you take fishing, a tad tiresome. It reminds me quite a bit of the Peter Cook and Dudley Moore 'You call that poor' comedy sketches (a lot of you will be too young to understand what the hell I am going on about on that score :D). The difference is that those sketches were funny....this 'You call that light' bit is merely another example of the 'my tadger is bigger than yours' syndrome that is so prevalent in angling :rolleyes:

In any case, it may well be that I require a seat to take the weight of a certain part.....no, I am not going there :p:D:p:D

Cheers, Dave :D

Back