• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trotting/Wading

Paul Bullinger

Senior Member & Supporter
When trotting for barbel/chub do you HAVE to be stood in the middle of the river or can you successfully fish this method from the bank? I would PREFER to fish from terra firma, but if that's impossible I will invest in chest waders and risk it!!

Think it depends on the river , ie depth , width , were you want to trot the float etc some swims you can trot from the bank , wider rivers you’ll have to wade in to get to the chosen area .

Think it depends on the river , ie depth , width , were you want to trot the float etc some swims you can trot from the bank , wider rivers you’ll have to wade in to get to the chosen area .
Hoping to fish the Wye (subject to conditions) late September. I guess I should bite the bullet and buy chest waders and accept that I may end up wading out into the Wye! Now I have to decide what waders to buy?

Paul get some breathable chesties with separate boots. I am happiest up to my bum in water. That way you are closer to the fish and mending line is easier. I had 11 in just over 3 hours last night. You just need spare hooks etc on you and a normal landing net on 2 rod rests and a carp anglers bait caddy round the waist for loose feed and hook bait.

You don't have to wade to trot. Some (barbel) rivers are far too deep to even contemplate wading in many areas. Not many areas of the Tidal Trent are conducive to wading. I won't wade in rivers with muddy bottoms, even sandy/really fine gravel areas can be a little unnerving when you sink into them. Do your utmost to know what you are getting into when wading.

I'd also suggest that you think about how you might net fish if you are in the water. The two rivers I routinely wade in are invariably far too rocky to get banksticks in. That means a normal landing net is nigh on impossible to use unless you leave it on the bank and wade back to shore while playing a fish. If netting fish whilst wading is going to be with a short handled wading net of some kind, it can be worth using as short a rod as you can get away with given the depth of water you are fishing.

All you need to do if restricted to bank fishing is select the most suitable swims. Those with the main flow closer to the bank you are standing on will be the most likely candidates. A rod longer than 13' may also help a little, provided the swim you are fishing is not crowded by trees and tall undergrowth.

I don't include fishing a waggler when I use the term trotting. I know others won't agree with me on that. However, in some swims, the use of a waggler may be more appropriate than trotting with a "top and bottom" float.

You don't have to wade to trot. Some (barbel) rivers are far too deep to even contemplate wading in many areas. Not many areas of the Tidal Trent are conducive to wading. I won't wade in rivers with muddy bottoms, even sandy/really fine gravel areas can be a little unnerving when you sink into them. Do your utmost to know what you are getting into when wading.

I'd also suggest that you think about how you might net fish if you are in the water. The two rivers I routinely wade in are invariably far too rocky to get banksticks in. That means a normal landing net is nigh on impossible to use unless you leave it on the bank and wade back to shore while playing a fish. If netting fish whilst wading is going to be with a short handled wading net of some kind, it can be worth using as short a rod as you can get away with given the depth of water you are fishing.

All you need to do if restricted to bank fishing is select the most suitable swims. Those with the main flow closer to the bank you are standing on will be the most likely candidates. A rod longer than 13' may also help a little, provided the swim you are fishing is not crowded by trees and tall undergrowth.

I don't include fishing a waggler when I use the term trotting. I know others won't agree with me on that. However, in some swims, the use of a waggler may be more appropriate than trotting with a "top and bottom" float.
Excellent post. All I'll add is ... it's usually much easier to fish a speci-waggler from the bank than it is to fish a stick (top & bottom) float. But it does obviously depend on the swim. But whatever your float, wading out even a rod length makes presentation a lot better/easier.

Hoping to fish the Wye (subject to conditions) late September. I guess I should bite the bullet and buy chest waders and accept that I may end up wading out into the Wye! Now I have to decide what waders to buy?

Paul,
If you are uncertain on what waders to buy may I suggest a cheap pair of neoprene boot-foot waders. If you find that you take to wading you can always invest in a better quality pair. I have seen them from as little as £70. Neoprene will be warmer than breathable. Nylon are generally the cheapest but are more prone to puncture.
I have both........ breathables thru the summer months, neoprene at all other times. I personally prefer stocking-foot waders but then you have the expense of wading boots to add to the cost of waders. I also prefer felt soles rather than rubber soles.

Breathables are normally a little more expensive, less bulky and withoubt doubt are more comfortable to wear.

If buying boot-foot aim for your normal size 'welly size' as a guide, if buying stocking-foot then your boots/waders will need to be roughly 2 sizes bigger than your normal shoe size.

If all possible try before you buy.
;)

I'd also reccomend you go somewhere where you can try them on, as there is a surprising amount of difference in different manufacturers sizing.
Another advantage of waders is that you can access areas where you are fishing on firm ground but would be very wet getting there without them.

I'd also reccomend you go somewhere where you can try them on, as there is a surprising amount of difference in different manufacturers sizing.
Another advantage of waders is that you can access areas where you are fishing on firm ground but would be very wet getting there without them.
I agree about trying before buying. I have always found it odd with clothes sizing that a 36" waist in one make is a different 36" in another?! Surely 36" is, well, 36"? I do a lot of walking and have walking shoes that are different sizes for different makes. Crazy.

Be aware that breathable waders have a propensity to leak. Even straight out of the box and even top of the range £700 Sage ones ! They are also not hardwearing. So if you slide down the bank on your bum you will likely tear them.

I use Vision breathables (£200 ish) and buy them from ‘diver Dave’. He pressure tests and seam seals them before sale. Mine don’t leak (yet!). He also sells some factory reconditioned pairs very cheap….my other half has a pair of Vision Ikons that we got for £100.

I use neoprene chesties (Snowbee) in cold water and on muddy winter banks (and for work).

I'd thoroughly recommend Diver Dave too. Also the breathables, stocking foot, with felt soles. Very important to add studs. Supatrack are the best.
More traction on the grass and slippery weed coated rocks can be traversed with ease. A wading staff is indispensable for me, especially on rocky bottomed rivers like the Wear or the Tees. Gives you a very useful 3rd leg.

Got two pairs of visions from Dave. Much prefer the zipped for convenience and the non zipped for the pocket arrangements otherwise.
Wouldn't buy anywhere else.

Last edited:
I frequently trott top n bottom style floats from the bank.
As said above swim choice and rod length will help a lot if you can’t stand directly inline with your trott path.

Ive got the daiwa hybrid waders neoprene legs breathable chest best of both worlds
hard to get hold of now

A word of advice for anyone getting wading boots, the cheaper end of the market are crap. Soles falling off, and boots splitting. Best bet is to look out for a pair of used Simms. They are undoubtedly the best and not as ridiculously priced as the waders.
I got a pair for about £50.
John Norris have various waders and boots deals on sale at the moment.
Guideline particularly.
I've got a pair of twice worn XL neoprenes looking for a home if anyone's interested. £50.
Stocking foot. Got matching boots which I may sell too.

Back