• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

trotting rods

Stuart Prescott

even though my time has been restricted a lot recently with work , it doesnt stop me looking in and trying to keep an eye on whats going on

recently ive been mulling over the idea of a custom built float rod designed specifically for barbel

ive got a couple of off the shelf power float rods , diawa matchwinner xp and a drennan drx carp waggler

both will do a job , no doubts about that , but the tackletart in me wants something a bit different , soemthing built with the job in mind , rather than a make do

does anybody have the bfw trotter rod ? or any other barbel trotting rods?

what do you recomend i look at , who to build it etc etc

im aware of the usual suspects , i allready have a tunley torrix which is a bit special .........

thanks

stu

Hi
Drennan Tench rod 13ft has a removable screw cork/butt section and its own protection bag, light weight and takes the line for barbel. ;)

the best :)

Had and let go a Harrison GTi SU 15'. Currently using either a 15' Shimano Aerocast Specimen Match or 15' Shimano Technium DF Specimen Match. I don't really suppose that Shimano had trotting for barbel in mind with these rods, but I'd not swap them for anything else.

Last edited:
Stu

I'd have a long hard think about what 'you want it to do!' before going down the lines of custom builds !

I.e. What Lines your using, what hook size/bait, the action you want, size of fish and the rivers you are going to use it on 13ft/15ft. Once you have the answers to the above you can go about creating a specification to take to the builder to discuss ?

Before you do go down the custom build rod route, i'll have a day on the float with you and you can have a dabble with the Daiwa conniouseur 13ft xp that I recently got ;) It may be an off the shelf rod (expensive at that) :D but it covers everything that I need it to cover :cool:

Apart form the free spirit rods, I have owned everyone mentioned so far. The Aerocast 15, Connoisseur XP in 13 and 14, plus the Shimano Technium specimen 15 foot are without doubt the best off the shelf trotting rods for Barbel with the added lightness of going down to maybe a 3 or 2lb hooklength. All will handle big barbel with ease.
The Harrison 15ft GTI SU is a very nice rod, but you need to have arms like Arnie to wield it all day, still an iconic custom build but as always try before you buy.

rod

have a look at my chimera 13ft 2 peice float plenty of grunt ,if anything a touch heavy although that wont bother you big chap,lovely finish on the rod.

I know personal preference always plays a part in rod choice but I have the Harrison SU 15' plus a Nash 13' Power Float. Of the two, I think only the Nash is up to barbel fishing as I find the Harrison too soft and, as Jon says, it is heavy. The Nash one is very powerful and would not be suitable for lines below 8lb BS.

Dave

Last edited:
Iv just brought a greys 15ft vx float rod I can't wait to use it with my new purist 2cl. Just need my missis to giv birth then I'm away!!!!!

Stu

I'd have a long hard think about what 'you want it to do!' before going down the lines of custom builds !

I.e. What Lines your using, what hook size/bait, the action you want, size of fish and the rivers you are going to use it on 13ft/15ft. Once you have the answers to the above you can go about creating a specification to take to the builder to discuss ?

Before you do go down the custom build rod route, i'll have a day on the float with you and you can have a dabble with the Daiwa conniouseur 13ft xp that I recently got ;) It may be an off the shelf rod (expensive at that) :D but it covers everything that I need it to cover :cool:

ill take a good look at it tex , just hope it differs a lot from the matchwinner xp i allready have

have a look at my chimera 13ft 2 peice float plenty of grunt ,if anything a touch heavy although that wont bother you big chap,lovely finish on the rod.

ill take it of you for a weekend oh 6 fingered one ! thanks

im a bit suprised kev baines' name hasnt appeared yet

well i love my su gti what bob gill made a couple of years back, light as a feather and plenty of power, also doubles up nicely for floatwork for carp and tench too:)

stu,you can borrow my prestons innovations 13/15ft trotting rod if ya fancy a dabble........;)

rod

give us a shout when your not working ,greedy man and will drop rod of will go well with that dear reel of yours:eek:

Back